The Student Room Group

TSR Graduate entry medics and applicants society! Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone, just wondering what people with barts gep offers are doing about accommodation?
Thanks!
Reply 141
Original post by adsyrah
Woot! Warwick offer!

So... all 4 have got back to me... time to choose between Newcastle and Warwick...

MEEEEE TOOOOO!!!!!

I got the email today, so so relieved, and amazed i managed it first time round, now all i need to do is get 70% in this semester's exams...LOL that should be fun

Ahhhhhhhhh i have got an offer for warwick!!!!!!!!!!!! cannot believe it! DD
surname = T
interview = Wednesday PM
and i just received an email now!!!!

good luck to everyone still waiting! x

My surname is T too, and i was bricking it for ages while everyone else got their offers through! Good luck to anyone still waiting, don't lose hope! xxx
Reply 142
Does anyone have an interview in Swansea on March 22nd? :smile:
Original post by Lizzylu
MEEEEE TOOOOO!!!!!

I got the email today, so so relieved, and amazed i managed it first time round, now all i need to do is get 70% in this semester's exams...LOL that should be fun

My surname is T too, and i was bricking it for ages while everyone else got their offers through! Good luck to anyone still waiting, don't lose hope! xxx

Congrats... I've pretty much realised Warwick isn't going to offer me a place as some one on NMM emailed them and all preliminary offers have been handed out.
Looks like I've got a lot of thinking to do now :smile:
Original post by lcsurfer
Congrats... I've pretty much realised Warwick isn't going to offer me a place as some one on NMM emailed them and all preliminary offers have been handed out.

What does that mean ? Do offers come in batches ? Is there a waiting list ?

On the fb group there are 62 members, 13 of which are current 1st years, so that means only 49 offer holders. Warwick said on their open day they give 240 offers out (for 178 places) so although fb won't include all offer holders that is a massiv difference, so I'd expect they hadn't given all out :s

Also Warwick are renowned for their long waiting list, plus the selection centre was much earlier this year so people who would've dropped out before interview if it was later are likely to drop out after they've heard back, freeing up spaces. So don't give up all hope!
Original post by *Funny*Bunny*
On the fb group there are 62 members, 13 of which are current 1st years, so that means only 49 offer holders. Warwick said on their open day they give 240 offers out (for 178 places) so although fb won't include all offer holders that is a massiv difference, so I'd expect they hadn't given all out :s

Also Warwick are renowned for their long waiting list, plus the selection centre was much earlier this year so people who would've dropped out before interview if it was later are likely to drop out after they've heard back, freeing up spaces. So don't give up all hope!

thanks :smile: just a bit fed up of waiting now, its reaching deadlines for all these applications and got so much uni work to do it's just horrible waiting, so having to sort other options out at the moment just in case a miracle doesnt happen
Reply 147
Original post by *Funny*Bunny*

I was hoping as much, Warwick is my last option (but also my first choice) :redface:
Did they metion on the open day how many interviews they would hold this year? I read somewhere that it was around 300 but that seems unlikely if they give out 240 offers :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 148

Don't be so pessimistic, it could happen and has every chance of happening, I cant tell you not to worry because it wont make a difference but keep an open mind and at least you have things to fall back on. Keep calm and carry on and soon you will look like this! :woo:
Reply 149
Original post by 622873
Does anyone have an interview in Swansea on March 22nd? :smile:

Are swansea still interviewing?? I thought all that was done by now?
Original post by Lizzylu
Don't be so pessimistic, it could happen and has every chance of happening, I cant tell you not to worry because it wont make a difference but keep an open mind and at least you have things to fall back on. Keep calm and carry on and soon you will look like this! :woo:

Haha i know, it's just the waiting game that is getting to me the most. i just want to know one way or another so i can sort myself out for next year whether it be going to Warwick or working out the country as it's a lot to sort out either way!
All my fingers, toes etc are crossed, i hope i can be like that^^
Reply 151
Not sure where else to post this other than creating a new thread...

Has anyone had any luck with Student Loans Company?

I applied for funding last week. There's nothing exciting about my application:

- Financially independent from my parents and earning under £30k
- I took a maintenance loan in 2002 and 2003
- No tuition fee loans from my first degree as it's back when fees were ~£1000 so my parents paid upfront

With all that in mind I've been assessed as being eligible to nothing. No tuition fee support or maintenance loans.

I've called SLC and after being put on hold for 5 minutes was told that I should be eligible for maintenance loans, but that I wasn't eligible for tuition fee loans. I queried this saying grad medicine was a special case. She put me on hold again and came back saying she'll resubmit my application for complete reasessement, but that previous loans ARE taken into account even for grad medicine.

She's panicked me. A lot. If I can't get tuition fee support then there's no way I'll be able to afford the course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 152
Okay, I've seen the problem...

I've had a look at teh PDF that was submitted to SLC for assessment and it says that I still ive with my parents and that I have NOT been financially independent for 3 years. Both of which are not true, weren't asked when I was applying and can't be changed online!

GRRRRR!
Original post by adsyrah

I've had a look at teh PDF that was submitted to SLC for assessment and it says that I still ive with my parents and that I have NOT been financially independent for 3 years. Both of which are not true, weren't asked when I was applying and can't be changed online!

GRRRRR!

SFE are a nightmare. If you have submitted an online application now wait until it alls gets reviewed by a real person. Apparently on one of the fb groups I'm on SFE have a GEM team that will pick up all applications for this course and ensure they get sorted properly. I submitted my app within about a week of it becoming possble to do so back in Jan and still haven't had a final declaration - the calculator is almost always wrong in GEM cases.

You are def entitely to the 5565 tuition fee loan and a means tested maintenance loan - don't panic!
Reply 154
Original post by nearlybled2death
SFE are a nightmare. If you have submitted an online application now wait until it alls gets reviewed by a real person. Apparently on one of the fb groups I'm on SFE have a GEM team that will pick up all applications for this course and ensure they get sorted properly. I submitted my app within about a week of it becoming possble to do so back in Jan and still haven't had a final declaration - the calculator is almost always wrong in GEM cases.

You are def entitely to the 5565 tuition fee loan and a means tested maintenance loan - don't panic!

I spoke to someone else after I realised I was still being assessed as though it was 2001 and he emailed me the application form to fill in and send in.

He said the written form will supercede the online one.
Reply 155
Original post by adsyrah

GRRRRR!

SLC is not fit for purpose. Their job isn't even that complicated so I don't know how they manage to **** it up year on year.
Reply 156
RIGHT!

The Guardian have got a Q&A session on their website about student finance at the moment and I posted this question (under the name adinus):

Can we get clarification as to what students get when applying for Graduate Entry Medicine - the 4 year accelerated course.

There's a lot of misinformation out there and it'd be good to get a definitive answer.

Nichola Malton, assessment manager for the Student Loans Company, has replied to me with this answer:

Hi ADINUS, if you are beginning a graduate entry medicine course in 12/13 you are now able to apply for some tuition fee loan support to help with the rise in tuition fee costs.

In Year 1 of your course you are expected to self fund the first £3,465 of your tuition fees and you can apply for up to £5,535 tuition fee loan from Student Finance England. In Years 2-4 the first £3,465 of your tuition fees are paid by the Department of Health, you can then also apply for up to £5,535 tuition fee loan from SFE.

In Year 1 of your course you can apply for a maintenance loan and additional grants for dependants and Disabled Student Allowances from SFE. In Years 2-4 you can apply for a NHS bursary and supplementary grants, which is based on an income assessment, and from SFE you can apply for a reduced rate maintenance loan.

I hope this answers your question and good luck with your course!

I know this has been covered umpteen times before, but this is coming straight from the mouth of SLC!

Also, Janice Barnes from the National Association of Student Money Advisers has said:

Hi Adinus

Further to Nichola's response in years 2 - 4 you should be eligible to apply for £1,000 non-means tested grant , means tested bursary and supplementary grants from NHS .

Jan Barnes
NASMA

Here's the article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2012/mar/12/student-finances-expert-panel
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 157
I just typed in all my info to the student loan calculator, including that I've done a previous degree thets equal to medicine, i put in the A100 and it says I'm entitled to a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan, seriously whats wrong witht this company, especially after they've probably received many phone calls about this topic.
Any other A100 applicants investigated, found out or phoned up about this situation?
Reply 158
Original post by Tripo
I just typed in all my info to the student loan calculator, including that I've done a previous degree thets equal to medicine, i put in the A100 and it says I'm entitled to a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan, seriously whats wrong witht this company, especially after they've probably received many phone calls about this topic.
Any other A100 applicants investigated, found out or phoned up about this situation?

The calculator is only an estimate. You need to submit an application to get an accurate answer.The number of graduates applying to A100 out of all the uni students applying for funding is tiny and the funding is complicated so you need to be careful to speak to the right people.

"The arrangements for graduate medical students on a five year course are different. In the first four years of the course, they are not eligible to receive a loan for tuition fees or a maintenance grant regardless of whether or not they have previously received funding. However, students may be able to apply for a full, income based, maintenance loan from Student Finance England. From year five of the training, graduate medical students receive the same support as undergraduate medical students" http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/default.aspx?id=557
I think Im going to fill out a paper copy of the student finance form, anyone know where I can get this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending