The Student Room Group

What does the Student Loan cover?

What expenses does the Student Loan cover?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Fees in full.

Then whatever you want to spend the maintenance loan on. Say 40,000 sherbet dips?
Reply 2
What he said ^^^^^^

Usually accommodation and then with whatever is left food, and then in most student cases, alcohol.
Reply 3
Original post by Nox123
What expenses does the Student Loan cover?

The tuition fee loan is sent directly to the university for the purpose of tuition fees. The maintainance loan is sent to your bank account to be spent as you wish. Most students use this to pay for accommodation, with any money left over on the cost of general living- in my case it goes towards food, textbooks, laundry and alcohol. Beware though that depending on how much loan you receive and the cost of accomodation at the university you go to, you may not recieve enough to cover the full costs.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
The tuition fee loan is sent directly to the university for the purpose of tuition fees. The maintainance loan is sent to your bank account to be spent as you wish. Most students use this to pay for accommodation, with any money left over on the cost of general living- in my case it goes towards food, textbooks, laundry and alcohol. Beware though that depending on how much loan you receive and the cost of accomodation at the university you go to, you may not recieve enough to cover the full costs.

I was unaware that the maintenance loan does not always cover the full cost of accommodation. I'm glad I found this out thank you!
Reply 5
In my case, not a hell of a lot.
Reply 6
You can spend it on whatever you want to spend it on. But you will still be responsible for your living costs and won't get extra help for that.
Reply 7
Original post by paper-may
I was unaware that the maintenance loan does not always cover the full cost of accommodation. I'm glad I found this out thank you!

Yep. Some unis have quite expensive accomodation which adds up to £4-5k whilst the minimum loan is £3.5k, and if you get more than the minimum loan your parents are expected to help you out.
Reply 8
I get the bare minimum so chose a cheap city. I only pay £42 a week rent here in Newcastle :biggrin: so I amazingly have money left for food and bills, though I still have to work/rely on my overdraft
Mine doesn't even cover all of my student accomodation, so... :erm:
Reply 10
Original post by lrobbo89
I get the bare minimum so chose a cheap city. I only pay £42 a week rent here in Newcastle :biggrin: so I amazingly have money left for food and bills, though I still have to work/rely on my overdraft

£42 a week in newcastle?! that is cheap! wherebouts in newcastle are you renting if you don't mind me asking ? :smile:
my entire loan for the year doesn't even cover one term of accommodation :frown: hate my loan, there's almost no point taking it.
Reply 12
Original post by arbaaz
£42 a week in newcastle?! that is cheap! wherebouts in newcastle are you renting if you don't mind me asking ? :smile:

Fenham, there's been several murders in my area in the last few years so all the rents are cheap haha
Reply 13
Original post by lrobbo89
Fenham, there's been several murders in my area in the last few years so all the rents are cheap haha

ah ok, yeah i've heard of fenham:smile: yikes... murders! that's pretty scary! i would be scared all the time, but i suppose if your with flat mates then it makes it easier... :smile:
Reply 14
It's not dangerous. Crime wise Newcastle's safe...it's a select few locals who seem to occasionally like attacking each other. Plenty of students live out here and it's not that bad :smile:
Original post by paper-may

If you get the minimum loan you're lucky if it covers your accommodation.
Original post by pomme de terre
If you get the minimum loan you're lucky if it covers your accommodation.

Not really. It's not difficult to find accommodation for £3000.
Reply 17
whatever you like be it accommodation and living expenses or a brick of cocaine :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Original post by electriic_ink

Depends how many weeks of the year you need it for doesn't it?

£58/week in Aberdeen would be a tad tricky let alone London.
Original post by electriic_ink

Well I think it is quite difficult... especially with bills included.
Also given that the OP is obviously a first year student and may be looking at halls, then it's even more difficult to cover it with the minimum loan if not impossible.

Quick Reply

Latest