The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Would I fit in at St Andrews?

I've been accepted for Modern History & International Relations. I like St Andrews because I want to try living abroad (I'm from the US) and I love the traditions. I have no problem with small schools/towns because I go to a 300ish student boarding school in the middle of a forest in New England. I do find it a little stifling, but I'm used to it. The thing that worries me is St Andrews being too small to find other university students who, like me, are not so into the 'drunken debauchery' thing. I'm cool with some extent of drinking and, yay, I'll finally be legal, but I'd rather just hang out with co- moderately geeky, perpetually sober friends. Would I be able to find my people there?

Yes. I admit it. I'm geeky. Don't judge me. Just let it happen.
Reply 1
Original post by alliys
I've been accepted for Modern History & International Relations. I like St Andrews because I want to try living abroad (I'm from the US) and I love the traditions. I have no problem with small schools/towns because I go to a 300ish student boarding school in the middle of a forest in New England. I do find it a little stifling, but I'm used to it. The thing that worries me is St Andrews being too small to find other university students who, like me, are not so into the 'drunken debauchery' thing. I'm cool with some extent of drinking and, yay, I'll finally be legal, but I'd rather just hang out with co- moderately geeky, perpetually sober friends. Would I be able to find my people there?

Most likely :smile:
Not all uni students get drunk every night, at least that's what I'd like to think anyway.
I'm like you, moderately geeky. I do like to drink when it's social, like at the pub with a few friends, nothing extensive though.
You will meet a lot of people just like you and me.
And if you find our kind of people is dying out... There is no hope left for either of us :lolwut:
hahaha I'm kidding, you'll be fine.
Good luck with your new Uni! Don't worry about it, just enjoy yourself. :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by alliys

Don't worry. There are a lot of people like yourself on the drinking front. Some people like to get so so drunk several times a week and others don't even touch alcohol, then all the people inbetween.
Original post by alliys

I asked this question a few months ago! When I visited I found that the place had a really nice cosy atmosphere (really really nice ice cream shop :smile:), and the people were bright, kind and very helpful. There are also tonnes of Americans so you won't feel to much of a fish out of water! As for drinking, it's a personal choice, no one is going to force you. I think there is more of a stigma in the US than the UK around drinking.

I personally don't drink and am a little bit nerdy too! And there are also around 8000 students give or take, all having different preferences and experiences, so you'll find a plenty who you can have fun times with!
Out of interest, have you drank at all?

You might even find you enjoy it...
Reply 5
Let's meet up, I'll show you a good time :wink:
Original post by alliys

I've got an offer to modern history and I'm as geeky as they come. You wont be alone :smile:

Quick Reply