The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kratos90
It has had 4 previous owners so may have had upgrades. It has the new sport wheels anyway. And did you not read the bit about it burning a 2 litre mg zr? You've never even driven a car so go back to watching top gear and dreaming. I LOVE driving anywhere I want at any time I want and I LOVE my 1.2 FIAT PUNTO and the constant looks Iget from the 95% of people in my age group who don't own their own car. And I paid for it for myself without any help from my mummy or daddy, with a scholarship I earned, including the £2000+ insurance and MOT.

P.S. speed limit on motorways is 70mph and it does way way over this :wink:

Go back to need for speed, dreamer, and pay to get a colourful username on internet forums, while I pay for the petrol for my 1.2 FIAT PUNTO.
Enough said.

Love Kratos x

I have a license, I had a car, a 1.3 Fiesta 05. I ain't going to claim it was good at accelerating because it's 0-60 was like 11.5 secs which is probably around the same as yours. That is not ****ing "awesome" acceleration and if you think it is then you are a clown.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Maccees
You spray the headlights? What with?

And you realise you said modding it will decrease the value, and then explained how you mod and sell cars for profit right haha?

Depends what your base car is and what you do.

If you take an Aston Martin DB4 and turn it into a DB4 GT replica you'll probably trebble your money.
Reply 22
Original post by Idle
I have a license, I had a car, a 1.3 Fiesta 05. I ain't going to claim it was good at accelerating because it's 0-60 was like 11.5 secs which is probably around the same as yours. That is not ****ing "awesome" acceleration and if you think it is then you are a clown.

Probably coz uve never tried. I guarantee mine gets to 60 much quicker than that. I doubt uve tried flat out 1st then flat out second anywhere like we did when we had a drag race. It was on a dual carriageway with no cars around and yes the acceleration was '****ing awesome' I left his 2 litre mg zr for dust and he's a better driver than me. The wheel spin I can get is unreal, I don't really know much about cars so I don't know how litre size affects it but I know my car is light and my mate drives my car and can't get his head around the acceleration. Top speed isn't great. I also know that fiat is the same company as ferrari and judging by my acceleration it is clearly noticeable.
Reply 23
Probably coz uve never tried. I guarantee mine gets to 60 much quicker than that. I doubt uve tried flat out 1st then flat out second anywhere like we did when we had a drag race. It was on a dual carriageway with no cars around and yes the acceleration was '****ing awesome' I left his 2 litre mg zr for dust and he's a better driver than me. The wheel spin I can get is unreal, I don't really know much about cars so I don't know how litre size affects it but I know my car is light and my mate drives my car and can't get his head around the acceleration. Top speed isn't great. I also know that fiat is the same company as ferrari and judging by my acceleration it is clearly noticeable.

Lmao, how do you think they measure the 0-60 times? Derp

And roflmao about the Ferrari bit, must be a troll.
Reply 24
Original post by tomrw
Punto is an OK car. I own one but I call BS on the MG ZR "drag race"
Considering my friend has a fiesta ST (only a little bit of difference in 0-60) and dominated me from start to finish.

Also acceleration isn't "that" good.

You can call whatever you want but it is a fact, maybe I am better off the mark than he is but we had a drag race on an empty dual carriageway. First, I don't know 250 yards (I'm not good with distances) I left him for dust then when we got towards our maximums he started to catch up then passed me. That would be a sad thing to make up. And that I swear on my friend's newborn daughter, whom I adore.

Like I said, it has has four previous owners, it has a new cambelt, new sport wheels and maybe some upgrades that I am unaware of.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Idle
Lmao, how do you think they measure the 0-60 times? Derp

And roflmao about the Ferrari bit, must be a troll.

Haha that tells me all I need to know about you; Fiat is the same company as Ferrari, Fact.

Go back to tour depression and anxiety society.

And to the first part, with a watch. MONG
(edited 12 years ago)
I wouldn't think your car has a better 0-60 than a MG ZR and having loads of wheelspin doesn't mean it's fast, it just means you've dumped the clutch out. I got wheelspin in the 1L corsa I did my lessons in...

And racing on public roads isn't really a clever thing to do either.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Haha that tells me all I need to know about you; Fiat is the same company as Ferrari, Fact.

Go back to tour depression and anxiety society.

And to the first part, with a watch. MONG

Man you have some deep issues don't you?

They get a professional driver to test the 0-60, do you think you can gear change and rev better than someone who does it for a career?

Volkswagen own Lamborghini, it really means **** all.
Reply 28
Seems like people here have never seen a decent modded car and assume they look like the chav one shown above. I have seen some awesome ones owned by non-chav friends, girls at uni etc.

I was almost put to sleep by reading some of the boring comments here, you sound like old people, go back to your boring lives and stop being snobbish about the type of car, you can make fiat puntos look awesome, I've seen it. Buy a nice brand new plain renault megane for yourself, your parents will like that, it's a safe buy.

I'll do what I like, I asked for suggestions on mods not on whether or not I should mod, you see the difference?

And who cares that it is a 1.2 litre, it has awesome acceleration and burned my mate's 2 litre mg zr for the first half of a drag race, just the top speed is ****. That enough tells me about the people who responded here.

Your joking right? , A 1.2L will never be fast . I assume you have the old looking punto with the awful rear lights? No matter how much you mod the car with crappy bodykits and bumpers it will always look like a chaved up mess. Look even Urban dictionary says its poop!:wink:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fiat+punto

Please don't think that your the only person on here with a typical bad mans car. We all dont drive zafiras you know.

You mentioned that your car could be modified, Have you declared this to your insurance?

I honestly think your making a pile of BS up. If your ever down In manchester then give me a shout, I want to race it with my Corsa VXR which honestly is slow.
Reply 29
A 1.2 51 plate fiat punto has either 60bhp or 80bhp depending on whether it's the 8 valve or 16 valve model.

0-60 time could be as long as 15 secconds if it's the 60bhp model. Which, to be fair, isn't an awful lot quicker than my '74 Morris Marina coupe. :wink:

Either way, it's not going to set the road on fire. But then, we're not talking about performance cars here, are we? It was never designed to be a super car.
The design brief would be something like "must get 4 people from a to b in a modicum of comfort with reasonable fuel consumption and not too expensive to produce"?
Reply 30
At first I supported this guy wanting to make his first car a little bit better in terms of looks and handling. As the posts went on I lost my support for him and I'm now convinced he's a troll.

I know you love your car mate, but a 1.2L car will never be fast. The guy you did the 'drag race' with who was driving with the 2L engine was winding you up and let you win. Your mates probably all have a right giggle when you go on about how your car beat him.
"Wikid blud, ennit..."

FiatPunto3.jpg

Just no.
Reply 32
Original post by Gothica
Your joking right? , A 1.2L will never be fast . I assume you have the old looking punto with the awful rear lights? No matter how much you mod the car with crappy bodykits and bumpers it will always look like a chaved up mess. Look even Urban dictionary says its poop!:wink:

Please don't think that your the only person on here with a typical bad mans car. We all dont drive zafiras you know.

You mentioned that your car could be modified, Have you declared this to your insurance?

I honestly think your making a pile of BS up. If your ever down In manchester then give me a shout, I want to race it with my Corsa VXR which honestly is slow.

didn't read lol
Reply 33
didn't read lol

You clearly did, no need to be in denial matey

Truth is the truth , "Innit Broo"
Reply 34
Original post by JC.
Depends what your base car is and what you do.

If you take an Aston Martin DB4 and turn it into a DB4 GT replica you'll probably trebble your money.

I know bud, just what he said confused me haha.

Original post by Gothica

In a bit of a minority here but I think it's hard to beat the looks of a monster green Corsa VXR when it comes to hatches :cool:
Reply 35
Original post by Gothica
You clearly did, no need to be in denial matey

Truth is the truth , "Innit Broo"

Truth is I have no idea what you wrote in your previous post after the first line and never will because I was getting bored by a boring person and skipped it lol.
Reply 36
The wheel spin I can get is unreal, I don't really know much about cars so I don't know how litre size affects it

:facepalm2:

1. The best looking modified cars are always kept clean, have lots of small, subtle styling changes and have high quality workmanship with little fiberglass or filler used. Keep your initial work small, changing alloys is easy and can chagne a car completely, lowering is not and can go wrong.

2. Be careful when applying window tints to front side windows as a lot of cars already have pre-tinted windows up to the legal limit and still look untinted. Hence many people add the legal amount of tinting in good faith and then fall foul of the law. Also, flat black tints can look a bit cray, especial on a light coloured car, they also happen to attract attention from the police, so bear that in mind before you go through with it.

3. Engine power output is not solely dependent on cubic capacity. Bore, stroke, cylinder arangement, valve timings, valve arangement, camshaft design, inlet restrictions/design, heatsoak, cooling, ECU programming, fuel pressure, exhaust design, transmission loss, auxilary loss and even air density, humidity and fuel quality determine power output at the wheels.

4. I will assume you are young, any engine modifications and especialy lowering will cause you big, big hastle for insurance. I run a modified car and the only engine related change I have is a full stainless exhaust.

Lastly, I drive a 1.6 16v 4cyl, producing 101bhp and while i'm happy with it and surprised sometimes, its 0-60 time is 11 seconds, which I know is very slow. I've also driven a Lancer FQ 340 RA & a WRX STi with a 0-60 of about 4 seconds each, those had acceleration and also 300+bhp, both being 2litre engines albeit with a turbocharger on.

Unfortunatly a 1.2 80bhp car does not, I don't care how light it is, its still probably over 1,200kg and has a stated 0-60 of 15.0 seconds. Saying you can burn off other cars is bad enough, but massive exagerating makes you look bad. Sorry, but thats the way it is.

Good luck with your modifications.
Original post by Pegasus2

Lastly, I drive a 1.6 16v 4cyl, producing 101bhp and while i'm happy with it and surprised sometimes, its 0-60 time is 11 seconds, which I know is very slow.

Is your car an Astra by any chance?
Reply 38
Original post by Maccees
You spray the headlights? What with?

And you realise you said modding it will decrease the value, and then explained how you mod and sell cars for profit right haha?

Yeh i'm an idiot and left out saxos are the only car that seems to sell for more modified than standard. I spray the inner trim of the headlights with just a plain ole halfords spray paint.
Reply 39
Original post by Superlogon
Yeh i'm an idiot and left out saxos are the only car that seems to sell for more modified than standard. I spray the inner trim of the headlights with just a plain ole halfords spray paint.

Ahh makes sense, I thought you meant you tinted the glass or something haha. Do you get them at auction or just buy them off autotrader or something? Just interested :tongue:

Latest