The Student Room Group

TSR Bollywood Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by singh224
ye he is doing another film with Jhon as a producer but that's gonna be in 2013. For now I'm not gonna watch any films till my exam finish lol but after that i'm gonna try 2 films a week :P

Yeah, I guess it's a long way off but I'm really excited to see Ayushmann get to grips with many different roles. He seems like a great actor with much success ahead of him. :smile:

Best of luck with your exams. You can look forward to watching loads of Bollywood movies afterwards! If you need any suggestions, I've got loads of recommendations! :biggrin:
Original post by asif007
Lol... who hasn't heard of Devdas?! Asking a Bollywood obsessive like me if I've heard of Devdas is like asking a student if they've heard of alcohol! :biggrin:

In all seriousness though, it really is an amazing film. Shah Rukh Khan might not release as many films as Salman or Akshay, but Devdas is definitely one of his masterpieces. :smile:[/QUO

rlly? so what would u recommend for a bollywood newbie? i wanna c something with aishwarya rai in it (just cuz we share the same name :wink:) but i don't know alot of films that she's been in:colondollar:
Original post by MissyAyisha

rlly? so what would u recommend for a bollywood newbie? i wanna c something with aishwarya rai in it (just cuz we share the same name :wink:) but i don't know alot of films that she's been in:colondollar:

Lol, I would recommend several of Aishwarya Rai's movies because she is such an amazing actress! Here are some you might like:

-Jodhaa Akbar
-Guru
-Kuch Naa Kaho
-Guzaarish
-Dhoom 2
-Devdas
-Robot
-Sarkar Raj
-Shabd
-Umrao Jaan
-Mohabbatein
-Taal
-Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
-Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya
-Provoked (a Hollywood film)

Edit: I would also add The Pink Panther 2 - not just because Aishwarya is in it but also because it's hilarious. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by asif007
Lol, I would recommend several of Aishwarya Rai's movies because she is such an amazing actress! Here are some you might like:

-Jodhaa Akbar
-Guru
-Kuch Naa Kaho
-Guzaarish
-Dhoom 2
-Devdas
-Robot
-Sarkar Raj
-Shabd
-Umrao Jaan
-Mohabbatein
-Taal
-Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
-Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya

To be honest, she only made it into the industry because she won Miss world or whatever. She's above average in terms of ability. The films that I have put in bold are the notable ones.

Just saw Jodhaa Akbar last week. It's a long film (3h 30) but every minute is of the length is justified. Great performance by Hrithik and breathtaking cinematography!

Satyajit Ray's 'The Chess Players' is a masterpiece. What a filmmaker! I wish we had more directors like him and Shekhar Kapur working in the industry at the current time.
Original post by Most Competitive
To be honest, she only made it into the industry because she won Miss world or whatever. She's above average in terms of ability. The films that I have put in bold are the notable ones.

Just saw Jodhaa Akbar last week. It's a long film (3h 30) but every minute is of the length is justified. Great performance by Hrithik and breathtaking cinematography!

Satyajit Ray's 'The Chess Players' is a masterpiece. What a filmmaker! I wish we had more directors like him and Shekhar Kapur working in the industry at the current time.

Hold on... I don't understand how you don't like Kuch Naa Kaho, Guru, Dhoom 2, Mohabbatein and Umrao Jaan. As well as being great entertainers, they were all massive hits and gained many awards for Aishwarya Rai. She is a great actress and, as well as the films you put in bold, the ones you left out were also instrumental in cementing her position as one of the most successful actresses in India. :smile:

I haven't seen The Chess Players but it sounds like an intriguing story. If done well, it could be something that I grow to enjoy.

Hrithik Roshan is a great actor and highly capable of delivering many more hits in the future, but he seems to be moving away from films in which every song showcases his dancing talent. Since Krrish in 2006 we've only had Bawre (Luck By Chance) but that was just a guest appearance, and Senorita/Sooraj Ki Baahon Mein (Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara), but in the latter songs he was almost outdone by Farhan Akhtar and Abhay Deol. So those films don't count! I'm talking about the likes of Guzaarish, Jodhaa Akbar and Agneepath - where he didn't dance in a single song. IMO, a Hrithik Roshan film without dancing is only half a film! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by asif007
Hold on... I don't understand how you don't like Kuch Naa Kaho, Guru, Dhoom 2, Mohabbatein and Umrao Jaan. As well as being great entertainers, they were all massive hits and gained many awards for Aishwarya Rai. She is a great actress and, as well as the films you put in bold, the ones you left out were also instrumental in cementing her position as one of the most successful actresses in India. :smile:

I haven't seen The Chess Players but it sounds like an intriguing story. If done well, it could be something that I grow to enjoy.

Hrithik Roshan is a great actor and highly capable of delivering many more hits in the future, but he seems to be moving away from films in which every song showcases his dancing talent. Since Krrish in 2006 we've only had Bawre (Luck By Chance) but that was just a guest appearance, and Senorita/Sooraj Ki Baahon Mein (Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara), but in the latter songs he was almost outdone by Farhan Akhtar and Abhay Deol. So those films don't count! I'm talking about the likes of Guzaarish, Jodhaa Akbar and Agneepath - where he didn't dance in a single song. IMO, a Hrithik Roshan film without dancing is only half a film! :biggrin:

Guru - good w/ a surprising performance delivered by Abhishek
Dhoom 2 - good
Umrao Jaan - bad as Aish was nowhere near Rekha
Kuch Naa Kaho - haven't really noticed it. Looks like a typical fare.

Aish just had a guest appearance in director Aditya Chopra's second venture after DDLJ, 'Mohobbatein', which I consider a good film purely because of the performances delivered by SRK and Amitabh. Other than SRK and Aamir, no actor could have matched Amitabh in those scenes. SRK really deserved the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor which he won. However, Jimmy Shergill and Jugal Hansraj overacted a little at times. Additionally, the film could have benefited from being trimmed by 20 minutes or so. An 8 out of 10 from me.

I came across 'The Chess Players' when I was looking to venture into 'art house' cinema. I'm looking to explore the work of director Shyam Benegal (of Zubeidaa fame). In particular, I'm keen on his 'Junoon' (1978) and Kalyug (1981).

I agree that a film w/o Hrithik dancing is only half a film However, I respect the fact that elaborate dance sequences are omitted due to the demands of the script, such as in 'Agneepath'. He is capable of winning many awards, I agree.

Interesting info:

Amitabh Bachchan, Nasseruddin Shah, Kamal Hassan, Sanjeev Kumar and Om Puri have won 3 National Film Awards each.

Ajay Devgan - 2 National Film Awards for performances in Mahesh Bhatt's Zakhm and Rajkumar Santoshi's 'The Legend of Bhagat Singh' (both great films)

Saif Ali Khan - 1 National Film Award for 'Hum Tum'. The only Khan who has won the award.
Guru - good w/ a surprising performance delivered by Abhishek
Dhoom 2 - good
Umrao Jaan - bad as Aish was nowhere near Rekha
Kuch Naa Kaho - haven't really noticed it. Looks like a typical fare.

Aish just had a guest appearance in director Aditya Chopra's second venture after DDLJ, 'Mohobbatein', which I consider a good film purely because of the performances delivered by SRK and Amitabh. Other than SRK and Aamir, no actor could have matched Amitabh in those scenes. SRK really deserved the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor which he won. However, Jimmy Shergill and Jugal Hansraj overacted a little at times. Additionally, the film could have benefited from being trimmed by 20 minutes or so. An 8 out of 10 from me.

I came across 'The Chess Players' when I was looking to venture into 'art house' cinema. I'm looking to explore the work of director Shyam Benegal (of Zubeidaa fame). In particular, I'm keen on his 'Junoon' (1978) and Kalyug (1981).

I agree that a film w/o Hrithik dancing is only half a film However, I respect the fact that elaborate dance sequences are omitted due to the demands of the script, such as in 'Agneepath'. He is capable of winning many awards, I agree.

Interesting info:

Amitabh Bachchan, Nasseruddin Shah, Kamal Hassan, Sanjeev Kumar and Om Puri have won 3 National Film Awards each.

Ajay Devgan - 2 National Film Awards for performances in Mahesh Bhatt's Zakhm and Rajkumar Santoshi's 'The Legend of Bhagat Singh' (both great films)

Saif Ali Khan - 1 National Film Award for 'Hum Tum'. The only Khan who has won the award.

It's interesting to see that you follow the awards quite closely! I don't think I could ever be so critical of Bollywood movies as you are! I just love everything, and I find it really hard to dislike a movie. :smile:

I agree, Hrithik has been selecting films with scripts in which songs are not really appropriate. But while I feel his last few films have been amazing in their own ways, they just don't feel complete without songs in comparison to his previous ventures. We haven't had a film with a good range of entertaining songs since Krrish in 2006 - even at that point most of his success came from romantic movies such as Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai, Mujhse Dosti Karoge, Yaadein, Mein Prem Ki Deewani Hoon and Aap Mujhe Achche Lagne Lage.

I'm also interested in a few art-house films like you are. However, I think the problem is that some of those films may have much better execution (i.e. acting, story, direction) than many commercial films, but the art-house productions just don't receive enough publicity to do them justice. Plenty of times in the last few years I've missed great art-house movies because I didn't hear anything about them until they'd disappeared from the cinemas. :mad:
(edited 11 years ago)
Here are some more questions directed at everyone on this thread:

-How do you usually watch Bollywood movies? By this I mean: do you watch them in a normal cinema with family/friends? Or watch them at home on DVD? Do you go to crazy multiplexes on premiere nights while on holiday in India/Dubai? Or do you get massively dressed up and go to the enormous cinema chains in your home city where crowds of people are cheering for the stars on screen? :biggrin:

The reason I ask is that I don't have any friends at university who are even remotely interested in Bollywood movies, so more often than not I end up going to watch them in the cinema on my own. When I'm at home during the holidays I watch them in the cinema with my mum or at home, where I have a massive collection of movies. Even then, my mum is the only person who watches Indian movies religiously like I do - no-one else in the family is interested. :s-smilie: Have you had similar experiences or am I the only one whom this happens to? :smile:

-I have many friends from school and college who enjoy Bollywood movies, although I don't see them much any more (hence the above). Out of these friends, ~90% of them are girls... Is that representative enough for me to assume that Bollywood movies are generally more popular among girls than boys? I know many girls who aspire to lead the glamorous lifestyle of Bollywood actresses (particularly Aishwarya Rai and Priyanka Chopra) and get involved in modelling shows, but I've never met any guys who aspire to be like Hrithik Roshan or Salman Khan...? :s-smilie:

-At my university, I'm part of 3 Bollywood and Bhangra dance groups. Now here you'd assume I would be meeting people who love Bollywood movies left, right and centre. But after completing 5 shows with the groups this year, I've asked around - and not a single person watches more than 1 Bollywood movie a year! I kid you not, these are the people with whom I've been doing full-on Bollywood dance routines all year - and I just can't understand for the life of me, why they like the dance but not watching the movies. Not even to observe some of the amazing dance routines we've seen in Bollywood movies over the years. I've asked around and the response is almost always the same: they've seen Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Dil To Pagal Hai and Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. And that's it - nothing else. Some of them have never heard of amazing movies like 3 Idiots, Agneepath, Singham, Dabangg or the Dhoom series. One girl asked me who Ranbir Kapoor is. Even the dance choreographers haven't seen anything since ZNMD, which is nearly 1 year old now. I've noticed it in the routines too - lots of our dance moves are recycled from one show to the next, because there's no continuity in keeping up with the current Bollywood trends. Is this appropriate, given that we have to keep improving our dance sequences?

-As well as watching movies, do you regularly attend Bollywood-themed events? I've been to dance shows, fashion shows, concerts and I go to the London Mela every summer. I'm interested to know some of the things you've all been involved in. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by asif007

-How do you usually watch Bollywood movies? By this I mean: do you watch them in a normal cinema with family/friends? Or watch them at home on DVD? Do you go to crazy multiplexes on premiere nights while on holiday in India/Dubai? Or do you get massively dressed up and go to the enormous cinema chains in your home city where crowds of people are cheering for the stars on screen? :biggrin:

The reason I ask is that I don't have any friends at university who are even remotely interested in Bollywood movies, so more often than not I end up going to watch them in the cinema on my own. When I'm at home during the holidays I watch them in the cinema with my mum or at home, where I have a massive collection of movies. Even then, my mum is the only person who watches Indian movies religiously like I do - no-one else in the family is interested. :s-smilie: Have you had similar experiences or am I the only one whom this happens to? :smile:

-I have many friends from school and college who enjoy Bollywood movies, although I don't see them much any more (hence the above). Out of these friends, ~90% of them are girls... Is that representative enough for me to assume that Bollywood movies are generally more popular among girls than boys? I know many girls who aspire to lead the glamorous lifestyle of Bollywood actresses (particularly Aishwarya Rai and Priyanka Chopra) and get involved in modelling shows, but I've never met any guys who aspire to be like Hrithik Roshan or Salman Khan...? :s-smilie:

-At my university, I'm part of 3 Bollywood and Bhangra dance groups. Now here you'd assume I would be meeting people who love Bollywood movies left, right and centre. But after completing 5 shows with the groups this year, I've asked around - and not a single person watches more than 1 Bollywood movie a year! I kid you not, these are the people with whom I've been doing full-on Bollywood dance routines all year - and I just can't understand for the life of me, why they like the dance but not watching the movies. Not even to observe some of the amazing dance routines we've seen in Bollywood movies over the years. I've asked around and the response is almost always the same: they've seen Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Dil To Pagal Hai and Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. And that's it - nothing else. Some of them have never heard of amazing movies like 3 Idiots, Agneepath, Singham, Dabangg or the Dhoom series. One girl asked me who Ranbir Kapoor is. Even the dance choreographers haven't seen anything since ZNMD, which is nearly 1 year old now. I've noticed it in the routines too - lots of our dance moves are recycled from one show to the next, because there's no continuity in keeping up with the current Bollywood trends. Is this appropriate, given that we have to keep improving our dance sequences?

-As well as watching movies, do you regularly attend Bollywood-themed events? I've been to dance shows, fashion shows, concerts and I go to the London Mela every summer. I'm interested to know some of the things you've all been involved in. :smile:

Answer to your first question: I actually do all off them.. go with family/friends, DVD's plus I go to cinema like every week unless there are no good films on. I love going to India and watching bollywood films especially in the multiplex cos u can just order your food from the seat and they bring it to you!

Everyone in my family loves bollywood films lol so i'm lucky here :P.. I know loads of people who haven't seen bollywood films but dance to it and its weird cos u can sometimes learn good stuff from their dance moves.
I haven't been to any bollywood themed parties so don't know much about that sorry.

You are exactly like me.. I love watching films whether be it Hollywood or Bollywood ( more towards bollywood :smile:)
Original post by asif007
It's interesting to see that you follow the awards quite closely! I don't think I could ever be so critical of Bollywood movies as you are! I just love everything, and I find it really hard to dislike a movie. :smile:

I agree, Hrithik has been selecting films with scripts in which songs are not really appropriate. But while I feel his last few films have been amazing in their own ways, they just don't feel complete without songs in comparison to his previous ventures. We haven't had a film with a good range of entertaining songs since Krrish in 2006 - even at that point most of his success came from romantic movies such as Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai, Mujhse Dosti Karoge, Yaadein, Mein Prem Ki Deewani Hoon and Aap Mujhe Achche Lagne Lage.

I'm also interested in a few art-house films like you are. However, I think the problem is that some of those films may have much better execution (i.e. acting, story, direction) than many commercial films, but the art-house productions just don't receive enough publicity to do them justice. Plenty of times in the last few years I've missed great art-house movies because I didn't hear anything about them until they'd disappeared from the cinemas. :mad:

Asif bhai (its also a well known name for the brother in many films ) i recommend you watch Kahaani .Its an awesome art house film and its in top 50 thrillers of all time on imdb at number 12. first bollywood movie to make it there.

I like the original movies and even the remakes have a nice asian twist to it making it spicier than the original.
Original post by asif007

ok for the questions..
i watch bollywood movies both on dvd and on cinema. The atmosphere of watching it in the cinema especially if its packed like for devdas or something is electrifying and you hear the funniest comments. It also makes an average movie look way better and a great movie look magnificant. Watching devdas and jodha akbar on cinema was awesome. I watched the odd bollywood movie overseas but not that many..and have never seen a premiere. they dont happen much here in Aus :frown: although parts of our uni got closed when they shot we are family there.

I have a couple of friends who are interested in Bollywood movies but def quite a few are not into it. If only we were in the same city i'd watch those bollywood movies with you.

Me and my siblings are massive bollywood buffs even if in the comfort of my own home..and i have many white or non-asian friends who listen to my bollywood songs while driving in my car. Even heaps of my white friends and non-asian collegues love bollywood movies because of their colour and vibrant nature. However, many asians feel inferior if they watch bollywood movies for some reason and so they prefer other types of movies..even if asian characters are rarely leads in non-asian movies or if they're used only for comedic relief, or the villain or what not. My family only watches bollywood movies so ive got company there and kids of family friends my age are interested in bollywood movies so ive watched with them but rarely my own friends. Have you found it the same with chidlren of family friends your age? like some of us grew up with andaz apna apna and all the jokes from the good old movies of the 90s.

I like bollywood movies and so do some male friends but i guess the romantic and emotional nature would make some guys hesitant to admit a liking unless if its action or clear cut comedy or an aamir khan film. buut as asians we are naturally emotional so why shy away from it. i know some guys who want to build muscle like Hrithik or Salman but girls def are more into the glamorous aspect..
Are there any indian societies or asian societies or bollywood socs or film socs? they might screen some bollywood movies and have some interested people.
That's awesome you're part of a dance group. i had to devise a dance performance for Ahun Ahun at a marriage anniversary and we had people of all uni age and it was a laugh riot. Are you sure they're being honest about their bollywood viewing habits because you know how its not cool to be too desi or watch too many bollywood movies? Apparently it makes you sound like a freshie and that's not desirable. I bet they have watched more then they let on.

I can't believe they havent watched 3 idiots or dabbang yet. You must make them see those movies..because watching the songs and the whole movie does help with dance performance. and if someone talks about the movie they're doing a song from and they havent watched it. then its going to look unusual or something.

we dont have many bollywood themes events here in Aus but i would go if i could. ive been to some concerts by well known bollywood singers though. sometimes i wish i lived in london *sigh* but then i think of the weather. jk lol :wink:
Original post by asif007
-Guzaarish
-Taal
-Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam

^ These ones are fab - especially Guzaarish, it's really really sad and I cried my eyes out, but it's just so good :')
And provoked is wow. I'm not an Ash fan, but I think she was wonderful in provoked.

Good suggestions asif, though I don't know how you manage to watch so many films along with doing a medical degree :tongue:

Also - have you seen 'Shaitan'? If not, watch it, it's amazing. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Could not agree more - it's such a lovely movie. I loved all the clothes and everything as well :biggrin: :biggrin: <3
Hrithik was amazing in it... as a teen he used to be a skinny, nervous kid with a bad stammer and no confidence, and look where he is now - he's such a huge inspiration. And he's so beautiful. I think I love him. XD :woo:
Original post by MissyAyisha

Ones without ash are better :tongue:
try: Rang De Basanti, Taare Zameen Par, Fashion, Kurbaan, Dil Chata Hai, Shootout at Lokhandwala, Race ... a few of my fav ones. :smile:
'Shaitaan' is also a very good movie - it's not too well known outside india since it was a smaller budget film, but it was really good.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4154
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
Could not agree more - it's such a lovely movie. I loved all the clothes and everything as well :biggrin: :biggrin: <3
Hrithik was amazing in it... as a teen he used to be a skinny, nervous kid with a bad stammer and no confidence, and look where he is now - he's such a huge inspiration. And he's so beautiful. I think I love him. XD :woo:

So did I! Ashwariya's clothes and jewellery were absolutely amazing! Throughout the film I was sitting there thinking how I would love to be a mughal queen :biggrin: but then I thought when I get married I'll take some inspiration from what she was wearing :colondollar:
Original post by HumiT
So did I! Ashwariya's clothes and jewellery were absolutely amazing! Throughout the film I was sitting there thinking how I would love to be a mughal queen :biggrin: but then I thought when I get married I'll take some inspiration from what she was wearing :colondollar:

I think you would be amazing as a mughal queen and def more than Ash. So you should def take inspiration for your wedding :P :smile:
Do you like chicken or mutton biryani more?
Original post by singh224
Answer to your first question: I actually do all off them.. go with family/friends, DVD's plus I go to cinema like every week unless there are no good films on. I love going to India and watching bollywood films especially in the multiplex cos u can just order your food from the seat and they bring it to you!

Everyone in my family loves bollywood films lol so i'm lucky here :P.. I know loads of people who haven't seen bollywood films but dance to it and its weird cos u can sometimes learn good stuff from their dance moves.
I haven't been to any bollywood themed parties so don't know much about that sorry.

You are exactly like me.. I love watching films whether be it Hollywood or Bollywood ( more towards bollywood :smile:)

Lol that sounds like so much fun! I've never been to India before but I'd love to go one day and see first-hand just how big the Bollywood craze is at the multiplexes. The films seem to represent a much bigger business for the cinema chains in India than over here, but going to India is an experience that I pray I will get to enjoy eventually. :smile:

Yes, I reckon I am exactly like you! I love all types of movies, whether they are Hollywood or Bollywood. Both are really important to me, although I have to say, like you, I also prefer Bollywood. I seem to be able to relate to Bollywood movies much more than Hollywood - probably because you don't see many Asian actors enjoying the same success in Hollywood as Caucasian/Latin-American/European actors do. Whereas Bollywood film-makers are assembling their crews from all over the world - Bollywood just feels like a much more global and non-exclusive industry than Hollywood.

You're very lucky to have lots of family members who love Bollywood movies too! My family is quite odd in that respect - my grandparents only watch a select few Bollywood movies from the 60's and 70's but otherwise they only enjoy watching the cheesy serials. My younger cousins used to watch Bollywood movies regularly but have since given up on them in favour of the teenage rubbish that is Twilight and The Hunger Games (Harry Potter I can understand, but not the others)! So I'm kind of left on my own and have to watch Bollywood movies all by myself... As I mentioned above, my mum watches quite a few but not as many as I do. :s-smilie:

As for the Bollywood parties, I find them to be so much fun! Unfortunately I don't come across many of them in my university city, but when I'm at home or visiting family in other cities then I'm always keeping an eye out for new events. I go to one roughly every few weeks but also hold my own sessions at home and at uni! Not only does it help you develop dance skills, it also helps you gain confidence too. :biggrin:
Original post by brownchocolateice
Asif bhai (its also a well known name for the brother in many films ) i recommend you watch Kahaani .Its an awesome art house film and its in top 50 thrillers of all time on imdb at number 12. first bollywood movie to make it there.

I like the original movies and even the remakes have a nice asian twist to it making it spicier than the original.

I've recently downloaded a copy of Kahaani from the internet but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I had a flick through the movie and it looks very intriguing so it's definitely at the top of my list, along with a few others I haven't seen yet. :smile:

I have a habit of watching remakes of Bollywood films before watching the originals. For example, I've seen Don 1-2 and Agneepath but haven't seen the originals yet... I really should though, seeing as Amitabh Bachchan re-defined the angry young man role in Bollywood. And the fact that there is a remake of Zanjeer in development just goes to show how his films are timeless classics - so they must be worth watching! I will download some of those and report back with my opinions soon.

Are there any other older movies (i.e. from before 1990) that you recommend? I've seen Sholay, Kabhi Kabhie and the original Umrao Jaan, but that's about it... :s-smilie:
Original post by brownchocolateice
ok for the questions..
i watch bollywood movies both on dvd and on cinema. The atmosphere of watching it in the cinema especially if its packed like for devdas or something is electrifying and you hear the funniest comments. It also makes an average movie look way better and a great movie look magnificant. Watching devdas and jodha akbar on cinema was awesome. I watched the odd bollywood movie overseas but not that many..and have never seen a premiere. they dont happen much here in Aus :frown: although parts of our uni got closed when they shot we are family there.

I have a couple of friends who are interested in Bollywood movies but def quite a few are not into it. If only we were in the same city i'd watch those bollywood movies with you.

Me and my siblings are massive bollywood buffs even if in the comfort of my own home..and i have many white or non-asian friends who listen to my bollywood songs while driving in my car. Even heaps of my white friends and non-asian collegues love bollywood movies because of their colour and vibrant nature. However, many asians feel inferior if they watch bollywood movies for some reason and so they prefer other types of movies..even if asian characters are rarely leads in non-asian movies or if they're used only for comedic relief, or the villain or what not. My family only watches bollywood movies so ive got company there and kids of family friends my age are interested in bollywood movies so ive watched with them but rarely my own friends. Have you found it the same with chidlren of family friends your age? like some of us grew up with andaz apna apna and all the jokes from the good old movies of the 90s.

I like bollywood movies and so do some male friends but i guess the romantic and emotional nature would make some guys hesitant to admit a liking unless if its action or clear cut comedy or an aamir khan film. buut as asians we are naturally emotional so why shy away from it. i know some guys who want to build muscle like Hrithik or Salman but girls def are more into the glamorous aspect..
Are there any indian societies or asian societies or bollywood socs or film socs? they might screen some bollywood movies and have some interested people.
That's awesome you're part of a dance group. i had to devise a dance performance for Ahun Ahun at a marriage anniversary and we had people of all uni age and it was a laugh riot. Are you sure they're being honest about their bollywood viewing habits because you know how its not cool to be too desi or watch too many bollywood movies? Apparently it makes you sound like a freshie and that's not desirable. I bet they have watched more then they let on.

I can't believe they havent watched 3 idiots or dabbang yet. You must make them see those movies..because watching the songs and the whole movie does help with dance performance. and if someone talks about the movie they're doing a song from and they havent watched it. then its going to look unusual or something.

we dont have many bollywood themes events here in Aus but i would go if i could. ive been to some concerts by well known bollywood singers though. sometimes i wish i lived in london *sigh* but then i think of the weather. jk lol :wink:

I agree, the experience of sitting in a packed cinema where everyone cheers for the stars on screen is just amazing. It's so much fun watching how other people react when watching a new film. I've only been to 2 films in which the screen was packed out (Dabangg and Bodyguard), and both times I went on the opening night when the excitement is at it's highest. Both times I saw random guys dancing in the aisles when Salman's songs came on (and especially when Katrina rocked in her item song)! And that's one of the reasons I love Bollywood movies so much more than Hollywood - because there's infinite excitement surrounding all Indian movie actors/actresses. You would never see that in a Hollywood movie of similar story and content!

I haven't been to any premieres either, even though they happen all the time in London. I was away at uni while the premiere of Ra.One took place in Leicester Square and even though several movies have been made literally within 10 miles of my home (e.g. Desi Boyz was filmed on my route to school), I've just never been lucky enough to see them at the right time! I've never been to India and in Pakistan (where I've been many times), the Bollywood craze isn't as big as it is in India and the UK. :s-smilie:

I don't know any Caucasian people who watch Bollywood movies, even though I tell them that the movies always come with subtitles for people who don't understand Hindi. In fact most of my friends (including Indian people who speak Hindi fluently) are bordering on ignorance because even though I'm always talking about Bollywood movies, they just don't understand how much contribution Bollywood makes to the global entertainment industry. The problem that my Indian friends have is that they sometimes don't even acknowledge that Bollywood movies exist, despite the fact that they would hear a lot more about it from their families in India.

You make a good point about why my fellow dance group members don't watch Bollywood movies. I've sometimes thought that maybe people are embarrassed by talking about Bollywood, because somehow it's "too cheesy" and maybe even has stigma attached to it. As some people have said to me, Bollywood movies are "just lots of guys and girls dancing round trees screwing lightbulbs and patting dogs". :mad: For one of my dance groups in particular, it amazes me that people just ignore the films even though we have to take inspiration from them for our routines. I'm a person who learns dance moves from Bollywood films very easily, so I took advantage of this by showing the other dancers some of these moves. I did Salman Khan's famous belt shifting from Dabangg and nobody knew what I was doing. I showed them some of the moves from Chammak Chalo and Desi Boyz (both of which we were performing to) and they all said I was wrong when none of them have even seen these movies (that much I confirmed: I asked whether they had seen Desi Boyz or Ra.One and they all said no). I would have been fine with it if someone had corrected me or given me some criticism about how I performed the moves but no-one did - then the choreographers proceeded to look up the videos on YouTube and say that I was, in fact, correct. Cheek! :s-smilie:

I'm 100% sure that no-one in my group has seen anything since ZNMD. The most recent film anyone has seen before ZNMD is Singh Is Kinng. As a result of this, most of the routines with this dance group have become street dance rather than taking inspiration from the movies. Even for festival songs like Dholi Taro Dhol Baaje, Tapkey Masti and Maurya Re (which require lots of movement around the stage) - we often just dance on the spot. As you can tell, this group isn't working for me so I'm concentrating on the other two! :biggrin:

True, they may be lying about how many Bollywood movies they've seen. But I think that's completely pointless - why hide your love for Bollywood just because other people do? I rave about Bollywood all the time and frankly I don't care if someone calls me a freshie because they're just narrow-minded. I don't complain when they talk about their parties or other things they enjoy. Unfortunately there is a culture in the UK of people being called freshie for various things, but Bollywood should not be one of them. Bollywood is a global industry and worshipped by millions of people all over the world. :smile:

Unfortunately there aren't any societies that screen Bollywood movies here. My 3 dance groups are all I have. :frown: But I've got plenty of movies to choose from and as I can't get anyone else to watch them with me, I'll have to be happy with just watching them on my own! The first Bollywood songs I remember hearing were from 1942 A Love Story (1993) so I've been obsessed for a very long time! The only people my age whom I used to watch a few (but not many) Bollywood films with have all gone their separate ways now so no luck there! Yes, if only you were here, we could watch millions of Bollywood movies together! And the weather in London isn't that bad - it's bearable but it's nothing in comparison to Australia!

Ahun Ahun is a great song, sounds like you had a lot of fun dancing to it! And did you manage to see any of the filming at your university for We Are Family? What about other movies that have been made in Australia? De Dana Dan, Salaam Namaste, Crook... any of those? :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
^ These ones are fab - especially Guzaarish, it's really really sad and I cried my eyes out, but it's just so good :')
And provoked is wow. I'm not an Ash fan, but I think she was wonderful in provoked.

Good suggestions asif, though I don't know how you manage to watch so many films along with doing a medical degree :tongue:

Also - have you seen 'Shaitan'? If not, watch it, it's amazing. :smile:

Lol I do my best! I watch almost all Bollywood movies and very rarely do I dislike anything so I have many suggestions! My attitude probably isn't the best though - Bollywood first, Medicine second! :biggrin:

I agree, Aishwarya was amazing in Guzaarish and Provoked. The latter was very captivating as well as challenging stigma - true-life stories are often made very well in comparison to similar films which are completely fictional. I also thought she was very good in Kuch Naa Kaho, Dhoom 2, Devdas, Taal, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam and Guru - although Action Replayy wasn't very good, unfortunately. :s-smilie:

I will check out Shaitaan - I've just read a bit about it and it sounds like a good story. Will report back soon.

What other films are you looking forward to in the near future? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest