The Student Room Group

Higher Maths 2012

Just wanted to start a thread to see how people are feeling about it and if anyone needs help on questions :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm actually feeling alright about it. I only just got a C in my prelim but after doing a ton of past papers, I'm a lot more confident I'll get an A or at least a B. I'm just worried some huge 8 mark question is gonna come up and I'll have no idea how to go about doing it...

And I just need to stop doing stupid mistakes :frown:
Reply 2
I got a C in my prelim too, just hoping doing all my past papers will boost my grade up - my main problem is that I tend to panic and then I don't recognise how to do anything! :tongue:
Reply 3
Yous will be fine! Usually 8 markers will be on stationary points, integration or logs. Those are the main ones I can think of :smile:
I'm kind of nervous, but I'm wanting to do advanced maths, so I'll be gutted if I get less than an A, since maths is one of my best subjects :frown: nevertheless I got 78% in the prelim so hoping I can get something similar!
Reply 5
A couple of the maths teachers in my school were hinting that optimization may come up this year as it hasn't come up in a while. That could also be an 8 marker!
Original post by RobZoSo
A couple of the maths teachers in my school were hinting that optimization may come up this year as it hasn't come up in a while. That could also be an 8 marker!

Yeah same here :smile: although I tend to miss out the (a) part if I spend more than a few minutes on it, normally only 3 marks..
I got a D in the first prelim, went up to a C in the second, but it was only 2% under a B.
We had a horrible teacher for most of the year, he was nice, but was rubbish at teaching, so now the entire maths course is a big blur to me and it's all muddled up and everything seems all over the place. I'm sure I can hit a B though.
One thing I always find is that I do it one way once and that's fine, but then the same sort of question comes up and it's then completely different! I've no idea what exactly I have trouble with, it's just things in general, but I think I can do well and I just want to get it over and done with! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by RobZoSo

Yea, it seems pretty inevitable that an optimisation question will come up this year.

I'm fine for maths, it's easily my best subject. We did our prelims in two parts and I got 88% and 98%, so I'm pretty confident :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by RobZoSo

that's another 8 marker favourite by the sqa, hate them! can never do part a :frown: but least I can gain some marks on part b so all is not lost :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by hollieeilloh
I'm kind of nervous, but I'm wanting to do advanced maths, so I'll be gutted if I get less than an A, since maths is one of my best subjects :frown: nevertheless I got 78% in the prelim so hoping I can get something similar!

I got that too :smile: but considering I'm re-sitting the subject hopefully I can do slightly better :smile:
Reply 11
Got a B in the prelim but not very confident on logs or optimization. Got a masterclass this Friday so should sorten those out.
Reply 12
Got 86% in the prelim, so i'm hoping that i've only gotten better at Maths since then, since i've done a tonne of past papers, haha!
u see when u guys did ur prelim which units were in it?? coz when i did mines it was only units 1 and 2 so its pretty rubbish if i need an appeal??
optimisation will definitely come up this year, although the paper should be fair overall.

i did a unti 1 and 2 prelim and then a unit 3 prelim in april, will send them all away for an appeal if my final is disastrous
Original post by sararobson7
u see when u guys did ur prelim which units were in it?? coz when i did mines it was only units 1 and 2 so its pretty rubbish if i need an appeal??

We had one on 1 & 2, and one on 1, 2 & 3, however the first prelim has been ignored :smile:
Reply 16

Our prelim consisted of topic 1, 2 and 2 parts of topic 3, so i guess we are in the same position as you :smile:

I'm feeling pretty confident for this exam though, got 92% in my prelim and looking forward to see what the sqa challenges us with this year :P!
Reply 17

I think my teacher said that it's good to have unit 1, 2 and 3 in your prelim if you're going for an appeal, cause it shows them that you have covered all the topics, but let's hope you do good and won't need an appeal! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by hollieeilloh
Yeah same here :smile: although I tend to miss out the (a) part if I spend more than a few minutes on it, normally only 3 marks..

I've always been told to miss out part (a) and leave it until later as they're only worth 2 or 3 marks anyway. I'm not so good at working out optimization questions, but I'm alright at working out the second part which as someone said is usually 7/8 marks :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Reece:)
Our prelim consisted of topic 1, 2 and 2 parts of topic 3, so i guess we are in the same position as you :smile:

I'm feeling pretty confident for this exam though, got 92% in my prelim and looking forward to see what the sqa challenges us with this year :P!

I couldn't agree more, they tend to be more creative with maths or science subjects :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending