The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I used "I" and "me" alot when I wrote PS, I don't think you can avoid it. But as long as it reads good it shouldn't matter.

I think for the special words such as "intrigue", the best thing is to use them very sparingly if more then once, and never close together.

Trying to answer potential questions an admissions tutor may be asking when reading your PS is a good thing. "Is this applicant suitable?" "What skills does this applicant have?" "Is the applicant determined and will finish the course?" Show more then just interest, show you are suitable and determined.

Certain skills you may want to demonstrate in your PS, especially if doing a vocational type degree, skills such as teamwork and leadership. Don't just mention an event and hope the admissions tutor will be impressed and pick up on what you might have gained, specifically say what you have gained e.g.

"During my time <insert event>, <what event involved> ...requiring confidence in my abilities and teamwork. From this experiance I have become a more responsible and dependable person, capable of working well in a team."

In about what will be three or so lines you have included an event which shows you did something, but also that you are confident and can work well in a team. You mention you are responsible and dependable. Combo with talking briefly about the nature and hardships of completing of whatever it is you did, along with the rest of you PS, will build up a picture of a mature person capable of seeing the degree to the end.

For my personal statement, when talking about what I have done, I structued it in three stages:

1. What I actually did.
2. What it involved.
3. What I gained from it and how it will be useful when studying the degree.

Some people have said you should not mention about the future beyond the degree. But I think mentioning briefly your goals and how the degree is helpful in getting there may not be a bad thing. Show you are ambitious.
Reply 101
It's fine to mention your goals briefly, but it's more important to talk about what topics you want to explore further during the course (that you may have only covered briefly so far in your studies, for instance, or not at all). It's DEFINITELY not a good idea to harp on about your ambitions and basically just tell the tutors that you only want to do this course as a vehicle for your chosen career (obviously referring to non-vocational courses here), rather than wanting to do it for its own sake.
I was just thinking about this problem with extra lines.
As you cannot tab it, is it better to put about 5 or so spaces to indicate it instead of leaving a gap?
jackbourne
As you cannot tab it, is it better to put about 5 or so spaces to indicate it instead of leaving a gap?

No, because extra spaces get removed automatically.
Reply 104
jackbourne

No.

When typing, you're meant to use block paragraphing (which involves leaving a line and not indenting). When writing by hand, you're not meant to leave a blank line in between two paragraphs, but you do indent.

At any rate, leaving spaces is just bad.
Reply 105
jackbourne

no....it will automatically go back in line with the rest of the text when it is entered on UCAS
Reply 106
How do you know when your personal statement is ready to be sent off?
Because two of the teachers and my parents think it is good how it is but another I showed it to today thought one of the sentences sounded a bit cliche and that i need a stronger introduction
But I sort of like the cliched sentence I'll admit I should probably change the introduction but I am at a COMPLETE loss as to what I should start it with :frown: and I'm fast running out of time
Reply 107
nemnem
How do you know when your personal statement is ready to be sent off?
Because two of the teachers and my parents think it is good how it is but another I showed it to today thought one of the sentences sounded a bit cliche and that i need a stronger introduction
But I sort of like the cliched sentence I'll admit I should probably change the introduction but I am at a COMPLETE loss as to what I should start it with :frown: and I'm fast running out of time

just say how you became interested in the subject and what interests you about the subject and why you would like to study the subject....and dont use cliches, makes your PS sound fake....
Reply 108
Stick it in the relevant section of PS Help, nemnem, and we'll try to help.
Reply 109
I have to say that trying to get rid of lines to be able to seperate the paragraphs has really helped me, as its made me scrutinize every sentence and weed out the irrelvent and cliched bits, as well as making it easier to read :smile:
Reply 110
Angelil
Stick it in the relevant section of PS Help, nemnem, and we'll try to help.

I already did :smile:
It was really helpful but they said the introduction was weak and I agreed but have yet to think of another one but they didn't mention the sentence that the teacher today said was cliched and neither have any of the other people I have showed it to so I am inclined to leave it in
Reply 111
This might seem stupid, but I've always been terrible at grammar -

E.g. when I mention I've read, say, a book by Alex Jones (random name) and blah blah blah, do I say Alex Jones's [book title] or Alex Jones' [book title] or does it not matter as long as I'm consistent?
You include the extra s if you would pronounce it. In this case you would include it.
Reply 113
Good bloke
You include the extra s if you would pronounce it. In this case you would include it.

Ah the joys of the English language...

I think the key thing to do with a Personal Statement is whatever feels right for you. I used a "when I was a child" opener because a) it was truly where my interest in history started and b) it was a slightly unusual anecdote and made for (I think/hope! :rolleyes: ) an interesting opener. I think that there are exceptions to every rule and that people should do what they personally think is right, because it is a statement which is meant to sum up your personal experiences and way of thinking.

I think the paragraphing issue is probably more or less important depending on the subject you're applying to - for a subject such as English or History where you are required to write in a structured and sometimes very concise manner, I think they are vital. And I personally wouldn't like to read a huge amount og block text!

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if the Admissions Tutors receive paper copies of our application forms or if UCAS sends them electronically?

Latest

Trending

Trending