The Student Room Group

BBC3 - Junior Doctors: Your Life In Their Hands

Scroll to see replies

Original post by raveen789
I thought it was really good gave me a good insight into the 'real' medicine as opposed to casualty and Holby city :biggrin:

Watching Holby City is like watching the Keystone Doks and Casualty is a comedy show isn't it?

That said I watch both of them enthusiastically, but not for "good insight" into medicine.

It was quite interesting, but I'm fairly sure not all junior docs live in such plush accommodation complete with a pool table(!).
Original post by Democracy
Watching Holby City is like watching the Keystone Doks and Casualty is a comedy show isn't it?

That said I watch both of them enthusiastically, but not for "good insight" into medicine.

It was quite interesting, but I'm fairly sure not all junior docs live in such plush accommodation complete with a pool table(!).

Yes probably not it depends I suppose since many students often come from a rich background so parents may afford to buy them a place or something. I suppose we can turn to scrubs for this 1 since JD lives in a tent at some point :tongue: that just shows it all haha, I think casualty is the same as Holby city not a comedy like scrubs :s-smilie:
Original post by Democracy

You gotta remember that it's in Newcastle. Bet that entire thing cost £3.50 to rent! :tongue:
Reply 263
Original post by dmz
Frankly i'm a little disappointed, where's the pole sticking through people? Where's the gore? :colonhash:

That happened on an episode of The Bill once :yes:
Reply 264
I think the best bit was when he shared the diarrhoea anecdote :'D
Reply 265
Original post by Bambi :)
I think the best bit was when he shared the diarrhoea anecdote :'D

Haha he's pretty cool
The fat guy reminds me of one of the SHOs who worked on my ward when I started. He was lovely.

The smug guy reminds me of the majority of junior docs I come into contact with. Unfortunately.
Reply 267
Original post by dmz
Haha he's pretty cool

He is indeed. Adam should take a leaf out of his book! :tongue:
Reply 268
Original post by Happy Insomniac
The fat guy reminds me of one of the SHOs who worked on my ward when I started. He was lovely.

The smug guy reminds me of the majority of junior docs I come into contact with. Unfortunately.

he seems a little bent tbh :tongue:, felt bad a little for the Cambridge girl
Original post by Bambi :)
He is indeed. Adam should take a leaf out of his book! :tongue:

Yup, do you think Adam is checking katie (i think that's her name)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 269
Original post by winter_mute
You gotta remember that it's in Newcastle. Bet that entire thing cost £3.50 to rent! :tongue:

BBC are paying anyway so it doesn't matter. I think it was one of the "incentives" to be on the show.
Reply 270
Interesting that on the whole the junior docs here say it was reasonably realistic but some of the students think it was terrible.
John seems like the most likeable of the bunch. I do love how Susie says "Doctor" :sexface:
Original post by House MD
If that's what you meant, then yes, I agree.

He clearly was just frustrated at the fact that he didn't get any stimulating work, which is understandable bearin in mind the blonde girl got LOADS
Reply 273
Original post by Naomiimoan
He clearly was just frustrated at the fact that he didn't get any stimulating work, which is understandable bearin in mind the blonde girl got LOADS

Suzi ("blonde girl") is an F2. She has done her year of dogsbodying and now gets rewarded by getting to work in A&E, having her body clock and social life completely screwed by a brutal rota and meeting and being abused by all of Newcastle's inebriated finest alongside occasionally getting to do cool medical stuff. Those two are doing very different jobs, so you can't really compare them (I have done both, and would definitely prefer to be in A&E, but you don't always feel that way at 3am on Saturday/Sunday morning)
I thought it was what I expected a BBC3 doc to be... A bit funny, they're all quite young (though it's scary to think that some of these doctors are the same age as me) and it made it seem a bit... Scrubs-like? Is that offensive?

I think Max Pemberton's Trust Me I'm A Junior Doctor is more informative as to the reality of life as a doctor, but I'll be watching the series all the same.... It will be nice to see them all complete their training in one piece.

I wonder if it'll show them having severe doubts about their chosen career, or mucking up so bad that they want to leave?
Reply 275
Original post by Harbour Seal
I thought it was what I expected a BBC3 doc to be... A bit funny, they're all quite young (though it's scary to think that some of these doctors are the same age as me) and it made it seem a bit... Scrubs-like? Is that offensive?

I think Max Pemberton's Trust Me I'm A Junior Doctor is more informative as to the reality of life as a doctor, but I'll be watching the series all the same.... It will be nice to see them all complete their training in one piece.

I wonder if it'll show them having severe doubts about their chosen career, or mucking up so bad that they want to leave?

Max Pemberton's book is fantastic and provides a different insight but you should note that being a junior doc is very different today and the programme was pretty realistic.
Reply 276
Original post by diamonddust
And I've already missed an episode. :sad:

No worries, I'm sure you can find it online somewhere...I loved the new ep! :smile:
i enjoyed watching it, it was quite cool
paperwork :sigh:
As a baby 1st year, I thought that the programme was really good. It certainly makes me very excited and nervous about all the challenges that lie ahead.

And it's really good to hear that some of the docs on this forum thought it was realistic too.
Reply 279
Original post by Harbour Seal

I'm reading that at the moment, and you're right - it's really informative! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending