The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Applied ICT Unit 3- June 2011 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Thank you very much indeed :smile:
Reply 41
phew, ict isn't as tough as i assumed it to be.. my advice to all you guys, juz don't stress :smile:..good luck.. but umm.. if you're stuck... hmm all i can say is good luck in gettin an expert to work forya..
Reply 42
Original post by z00mz00m
My school suks :frown:
Omg this exam suks real bad :frown:

don't lose hope ..where there's a will there's a way
hi guys has anyone had a look at section3?
any tips as to what im looking at

thanks
hi guys, im just specualating that no data files are going to be given
OMG just found an "if fuction" :redface:
Reply 46
Original post by paul3200
HEY GUYS JUST FOUND OUT TODAY THAT THE YELLOW BOX ON THE ADVERTISING SHEET IS FOR AN IF STATEMENTsorry if this has alredy been posted and if you want i will post it :smile:

Hello, how did you manage to work this out?

I have had a look and I cannot see how that would work.

No Oli :biggrin:
Reply 47
Original post by RyeBread
Hello, how did you manage to work this out?

I have had a look and I cannot see how that would work.

No Oli :biggrin:

If you're talking about the same thing as me, I've been told (and it makes sense) that you enter some printed off data in that box, or the data might be pre-entered and you have to find and correct a couple of typos in it.
Reply 48
Anyone doing ICT & have a teacher that doesn't do anything.. Read on! ( this ain't defiante but most likely to be what's on the exam..
Scenario: Kornish Kraftz

Activity 1: summarise current situation & list key facts to the problem you need to solve.. (basically outline main facts in bullet points).
outline decisions you need to make..
Assumptions you are making..

Activity 2: evaluate source that have been used..
Why data could lead to inaccuries within the model...
the factors that haven't been takn into account..

Activity 3: Basically once imported the data you have to add a IF & And formula on the advertising page.. this would be for all possible shops & advertise type chosen! You must then to find totals revenue & cost you sum up the bottom of all months in values sheet! (you should practise doing it around 3-4times!

Activity 4: most likely there going to ask you to write a report based on recommending model for expansion using figures & graphs from spreadsheet...
(this would mention shops you've used, why you used them - ratings, show a graph of total cost & profits, which adverising method you would want to use..

Wow that's a lot of info .. Hope it helps everyone & best of luck in your exams! x
Reply 49
Original post by John taylor

Original post by John taylor
Has anyone got answers to activity one?

•Listing key facts relevant to the problem you have to solve
•Outlining the decisions you have to make
•Identifying any constraints
•Describing what would make a good solution
•Summarise the current situation
•State any assumptions you are making.

Thanks... :smile:

Hey check my last comment on this thread (Sadii) .. ive put briefly the questions.. got some answers .. i can mail em ..
Reply 50
Original post by Sadii
Anyone doing ICT & have a teacher that doesn't do anything.. Read on! ( this ain't defiante but most likely to be what's on the exam..
Scenario: Kornish Kraftz

Activity 1: summarise current situation & list key facts to the problem you need to solve.. (basically outline main facts in bullet points).
outline decisions you need to make..
Assumptions you are making..

Activity 2: evaluate source that have been used..
Why data could lead to inaccuries within the model...
the factors that haven't been takn into account..

Activity 3: Basically once imported the data you have to add a IF & And formula on the advertising page.. this would be for all possible shops & advertise type chosen! You must then to find totals revenue & cost you sum up the bottom of all months in values sheet! (you should practise doing it around 3-4times!

Activity 4: most likely there going to ask you to write a report based on recommending model for expansion using figures & graphs from spreadsheet...
(this would mention shops you've used, why you used them - ratings, show a graph of total cost & profits, which adverising method you would want to use..

Wow that's a lot of info .. Hope it helps everyone & best of luck in your exams! x

I've been told there's also an Activity 5 where you have to comment on the effectiveness of the spreadsheet - e.g things that could be improved etc.
Reply 51
I got £186,591.91 from my total sales figures, along with £1,037,706.78 for Revenue and £851,114.87 for my Costs.
This was done with all advertising options open and out of the shops open, only Newquay and Land's End were chosen to give me my total profit.
all other shops were closed. Falmouth was open to begin with. You cannot change this.
I have made no loss in the 'Monthly Figures' sheet which is a good sign.

To do the Advertising section, you have to do an IF Statement. To do this, just enter =IF(Values!$B7="Yes",B7,0)
this formula should make the Falmouth advertising work for you. If it doesn't, your spreadsheet is wrong, somehow.

Hope this helped and if you have a greater profit than me, please let me know how to get it.

Thanks.

¬Adam Kehoe¬
Reply 52
Original post by paul3200
yeah but you need the $ in random places and it took me ages to work out where

oh and can anyone help me where do i get the total costs, total revenue and total profit from???

do i use a sum thing on the totals sheet
or a cell reference on the monthly figures sheet

thanks

**Don't use SUM. This is wrong by all means.
To so,ve your problem, click on the Values Page. In the Total Costs, enter an equals '=' sign. Then click on the 'Monthly Figures' page and select Total Costs. Hit Enter.
This should transfer the figure to the Values Page. Then simply click the black + and drag down to profit. This will show all the total costs, revenue and profit for your spreadsheet.

Hope this helped.

¬Villa73¬
Reply 53
Original post by hrickards

I've been told there's also an Activity 5 where you have to comment on the effectiveness of the spreadsheet - e.g things that could be improved etc.

Thanks for that .. So what xactly do you have I mention in activity 5.. And do you know anything about the IF(AND formula...?
Reply 54
Original post by Villa73
I got £186,591.91 from my total sales figures, along with £1,037,706.78 for Revenue and £851,114.87 for my Costs.
This was done with all advertising options open and out of the shops open, only Newquay and Land's End were chosen to give me my total profit.
all other shops were closed. Falmouth was open to begin with. You cannot change this.
I have made no loss in the 'Monthly Figures' sheet which is a good sign.

To do the Advertising section, you have to do an IF Statement. To do this, just enter =IF(Values!$B7="Yes",B7,0)
this formula should make the Falmouth advertising work for you. If it doesn't, your spreadsheet is wrong, somehow.

Hope this helped and if you have a greater profit than me, please let me know how to get it.

Thanks.

¬Adam Kehoe¬

You know, that's funny as I get the maximum profit with exactly the same options as you, yet the data I'm using was (pseudo)randomly generated by my teacher. Don't happen to go to UCTC do you? If not, very strange.

Original post by Sadii
Thanks for that .. So what xactly do you have I mention in activity 5.. And do you know anything about the IF(AND formula...?

IIRC you have to say how effective the spreadsheet was in helping you to make your decision - so the things that you found useful, maybe the way it was easy to select different options and see the prices. You also have to say some things that could be improved within the spreadsheet - e.g it would be a lot easier if all possible combinations of shops and advertising options were shown in another worksheet, with the best one highlighted.

Have a look at http://www.experiglot.com/2006/12/11/how-to-use-nested-if-statements-in-excel-with-and-or-not/. What do you need IF(AND... for though?
Reply 55

You know, that's funny as I get the maximum profit with exactly the same options as you, yet the data I'm using was (pseudo)randomly generated by my teacher. Don't happen to go to UCTC do you? If not, very strange.

IIRC you have to say how effective the spreadsheet was in helping you to make your decision - so the things that you found useful, maybe the way it was easy to select different options and see the prices. You also have to say some things that could be improved within the spreadsheet - e.g it would be a lot easier if all possible combinations of shops and advertising options were shown in another worksheet, with the best one highlighted.

Have a look at http://www.experiglot.com/2006/12/11/how-to-use-nested-if-statements-in-excel-with-and-or-not/. What do you need IF(AND... for though?

Thanks... yeah! I've done activity 1&2 and briefly done 4... 3 I've attempted.. Apprantly need it for advertising spreadsheet to put in Falmouth - and drag formula.. Why which formula have you used..?
Reply 56
For any students struggling with Unit 3, my colleague and I have put our resources - 5 pdfs, one for each activity - on www.teacherexchange.co.uk where you can get them for £5.
Reply 57
Original post by Sadii
Thanks... yeah! I've done activity 1&2 and briefly done 4... 3 I've attempted.. Apprantly need it for advertising spreadsheet to put in Falmouth - and drag formula.. Why which formula have you used..?

Not entirely sure what formula you're talking about. In the advertising sheet I haven't put any formulae in (there doesn't seem to be any link between the potential and actual on that sheet - have you get any?) In Totals I dragged the Transport/month a column right into the Advertising column, changed the G7 reference to H7 and replicated down.
Reply 58
Most people fail this exam, apparently.
Reply 59
Original post by Pn94
Most people fail this exam, apparently.

lol doesnt suprise me

Quick Reply

Latest