The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Tbf it isn't discrimination. It just means that Barts and UCL have courses and/or Trusts which require you to be over 18. That's like me saying "I really want to go to Oxford, but they don't do PBL. I really want to do PBL. That's discrimination."
Original post by apple17
Only two unis: UCL and Barts have an age requirement. The others don't discriminate on basis of age.

I'm pretty sure a lot of places require you to be 18 by the time you start the course. It's not discrimination. And the majority of people will be at least 18 when they start anyways.

Some other medical schools that specifically state age requirements:

Imperial: You have to be 18 by the first day of the course

St Georges - you have to be 18 by the start of the course

I can't be bothered to find more :p:
Reply 42
Woah sorry guys. Seems like I offended some people. I just meant to say that some unis like Sheffield and Hull York allow people younger than 18, cuz a lot of international/applicant may not be 18, to apply and get offers. I don't have a prob against BATL: It was my top choice until I realized about the age requirments
Thanks FFcrusader for the research: looks like I won't be applying to those two as well
GOOD LUCK TO THE 2012 BATL APPLICANTS ! :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by apple17
Woah sorry guys. Seems like I offended some people. I just meant to say that some unis like Sheffield and Hull York allow people younger than 18, cuz a lot of international/applicant may not be 18, to apply and get offers. I don't have a prob against BATL: It was my top choice until I realized about the age requirments
Thanks FFcrusader for the research: looks like I won't be applying to those two as well
GOOD LUCK TO THE 2012 BATL APPLICANTS ! :smile:

It'l probably depend on how far into the course you get patient contact as well.
Uni's that provide patient contact early on will definitely need them to be 18 for insurance reasons.
Reply 44
I just found out that Jay Sean was a Barts medical student and then dropped out!!!!!!! :redface:
Hey guys, I have a quick question about Queen Mary.

Was it a bad or good thing that she made Roman Catholicism popular again in England?:biggrin:
Original post by Stanley90

Was it a bad or good thing that she made Roman Catholicism popular again in England?:biggrin:

:indiff:

Oh how tempting it was to just move you to study help :colone:
looool that's harsh bro. But wait, you can't neg me twice.. :colone:

To get it back on topic though, do you really think Barts will change their admissions process? And even if they do, why would it be a 600 cut-off when that would virtually include everyone?

Wrong Queen Mary, genius :wink:

Anyway, yes, BL :daydreaming:
Could someone be kind enough to give me the UKCAT cut off scores for 2011 entry? (also any cut offs from previous years if they're available to you).
Original post by Scarface-Don
Could someone be kind enough to give me the UKCAT cut off scores for 2011 entry? (also any cut offs from previous years if they're available to you).

2011 entry; 642.5
2010 entry: 665
2009 entry: closer to 600 :hmmmm:
Reply 51
looool that's harsh bro. But wait, you can't neg me twice.. :colone:

To get it back on topic though, do you really think Barts will change their admissions process? And even if they do, why would it be a 600 cut-off when that would virtually include everyone?

thats because its not a 600 cut off but that as long as you have 600 average or more you pass the ukcat stage. Then they rank people for interview based on ucas tariff.
Original post by aggie30
thats because its not a 600 cut off but that as long as you have 600 average or more you pass the ukcat stage. Then they rank people for interview based on ucas tariff.

Does anyone know how this works for reapplicants?
Surely they'd be at an unfair advantage due to having A levels in hand?
Wouldn't this contradict the whole "taking more than 3 a levels will not put you at an advantage"??
Sorry if this has already been answered. Was unable to attend/book a place on the open day :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by aggie30

Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Wouldn't this contradict the whole "taking more than 3 a levels will not put you at an advantage"??
Sorry if this has already been answered. Was unable to attend/book a place on the open day :redface:

Also by UCAS tariff do they really just mean the points?
Seem's a bit weird considering most people applying won't have a full UCAS tariff.

And some schools don't predict A*'s therefore If they went on predicted UCAS tariffs then some people would be at a massive disadvantage.

Or maybe it's already achieved UCAS tariffs meaning they interview any re-applicants who should have higher tariff's than AS sitters.

Maybe someone should email them to clear things up, I would but i'm too shattered atm.

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
2011 entry; 642.5
2010 entry: 665
2009 entry: closer to 600 :hmmmm:

Also thanks for the info added to Op.
However, "Please rate some other members before rating this member again." :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54

They said at the open day that they will use predicted grades so if you are predicted an A* you get the points for it but you wouldn't actually need to get an A* as part of offers. Also they would in this case favour people who took 4 Alevels instead of 3. Re-applicats would be at a slight disadvantage but not really because most people will still offer the standard AAAb which will be 410 points and they would then be placed above the Alevel applicants with the same score because they already achieved the score but not against people will the AAAA predictions or A* A* AA or something like that.

This is what i was told at the open day
I'm sorry but this is the most rediculous admissions policy ever, almost worse than the UKCAT cut-off. Using A-level predictions is completely pointless in my opinion, as firstly, everyone is going to have to be predicted AAA or more, so those schools that don't predict A*'s are already at a major disadvantage. Also, the amount of people who will be predicted exactly the same will be absurd, meaning loads of people will end up at the interview stage at least. I also don't like how they are favouring those who are doing 4 A-levels. If this admissions policy is true, then what Barts have done is completely awful :erm:
Reply 56
Original post by a moist feeling
I'm sorry but this is the most rediculous admissions policy ever, almost worse than the UKCAT cut-off. Using A-level predictions is completely pointless in my opinion, as firstly, everyone is going to have to be predicted AAA or more, so those schools that don't predict A*'s are already at a major disadvantage. Also, the amount of people who will be predicted exactly the same will be absurd, meaning loads of people will end up at the interview stage at least. I also don't like how they are favouring those who are doing 4 A-levels. If this admissions policy is true, then what Barts have done is completely awful :erm:

yh i was really confused as to why they would choose to do it that way too as it makes little to no sense but the admissions officer told me that it was because the dean wanted to increase the average ucas tariff.
Reply 57
Original post by aggie30
yh i was really confused as to why they would choose to do it that way too as it makes little to no sense but the admissions officer told me that it was because the dean wanted to increase the average ucas tariff.

I'm doing 4 A2's
If I Get AAAA it's the same as someone with A*A*A*a

Hopefully I'll do better, but Doing 4 A levels doesn't necesarily mean an immediate advantage according to this system, You have more time if you do three and can get a maximum of 480 UCAS points.

At best I can get A*A*A*A though which is 540 UCAS points.

On the other hand worst case is AAAB which is 460 UCAS points.

Thursday may be really important for me even getting considered here.

I liked the UKCAT system aswell as there seems to be more scope of scores and everyone sits it at the same time.

If most people do 3 subjects (and a fourth AS assuming an A grade in that As)
Then Max= 480(A*A*A*a)
Min=420 (AAAa)

That means if 2000 people apply with these predictions. and there's like 60 points difference with three increments then differentiating on this basis is a little mental.

UKCAT on the other hand can have a difference of ~300 points between two applicants which is more significant if you have ~2000 applicants.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by joemullally
-

Original post by aggie30
-

Original post by a moist feeling
-

Thanks for all of your input.
I'm really interested in applying to Barts but don't want to waste my options (as only 1 out of my 4 choices last year was realistic).
I may just ring them on or after results day and ask some very blunt and straight-forward questions (so they can't beat around the bush/repeat what's already in the prospectus) and i can, hopefully, have a realistic view of whether i stand a chance or not..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Thanks for all of your input.
I'm really interested in applying to Barts but don't want to waste my options (as only 1 out of my 4 choices last year was realistic).
I may just ring them on or after results day and ask some very blunt and straight-forward questions (so they can't beat around the bush/repeat what's already in the prospectus) and i can, hopefully, have a realistic view of whether i stand a chance or not..

Sounds like a good idea tbf.

Good luck with wherever you're applying.

Where else are you applying ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending