The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aggie30
yh i was really confused as to why they would choose to do it that way too as it makes little to no sense but the admissions officer told me that it was because the dean wanted to increase the average ucas tariff.

Trying to climb up the league tables maybe ?
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Thanks for all of your input.
I'm really interested in applying to Barts but don't want to waste my options (as only 1 out of my 4 choices last year was realistic).
I may just ring them on or after results day and ask some very blunt and straight-forward questions (so they can't beat around the bush/repeat what's already in the prospectus) and i can, hopefully, have a realistic view of whether i stand a chance or not..

Wait until a few weeks after results day. They will be inundated with people begging for places on results day.
:redface:

This is a very odd new admission system. Surely they must give some weight to the UKCAT - some sort of points system - if this will really work, or else there will be loads and loads of interview offers going out.
Original post by Stanley90

College-wide policy now, not surprised it's reached the SMD tbh...entry requirements are so much higher than when I started, in nearly everything.
Reply 64
Original post by Democracy
College-wide policy now, not surprised it's reached the SMD tbh...entry requirements are so much higher than when I started, in nearly everything.

Why do you think the requirements have gone up across the board?

Anything to do with the Fee's? Or is it a league table thing?
Reply 65
This new admissions policy is utterly terrible. What the hell?
Original post by joemullally
Why do you think the requirements have gone up across the board?

Anything to do with the Fee's? Or is it a league table thing?

No, it's been happening for several years now. QMUL is currently 11th in the research league tables. The College top brass want this to be the case in the national newspaper league tables too, as well as a top 100 position in the worldwide league tables.

So there's been a massive investment in the Mile End campus, lots of new halls, a new Humanities building, a complete renovation of the Maths building and the Library. Obviously they want to make sure that this attracts the best students, so slowly the entry reqs have been going up.

The new Principal is very keen on league tables, read this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/big-ambitions-queen-marys-new-head-sets-targets-to-push-college-up-the-league-tables-1806667.html
Reply 67
No, it's been happening for several years now. QMUL is currently 11th in the research league tables. The College top brass want this to be the case in the national newspaper league tables too, as well as a top 100 position in the worldwide league tables.

So there's been a massive investment in the Mile End campus, lots of new halls, a new Humanities building, a complete renovation of the Maths building and the Library. Obviously they want to make sure that this attracts the best students, so slowly the entry reqs have been going up.

The new Principal is very keen on league tables, read this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/big-ambitions-queen-marys-new-head-sets-targets-to-push-college-up-the-league-tables-1806667.html

Hmm sounds interesting.

Still don't understand it I mean everyone knows that they mean almost nothing in Medicine.

trying to attract better students aswell may not mean attracting better doctors.

We all know people who are incredibly book smart but have the communication skills of a blunt spear. I certainly know a few very smart people who I wouldn't give my phone number to never mind any confidential information.
Sounds like a good idea tbf.

Good luck with wherever you're applying.

Where else are you applying ?

PMCD, Soton and Liverpool are kind of the definate ones at the moment.
Still deciding for 4th choice between Barts & Manc and don't know what to put as a fifth at all (actually thinking about it this year because after 8 rejections - heaven forbid - you might have to actually consider your back-up)
Original post by Stanley90

Haha. Precisely what i was thinking.
It's a bit sly if you ask me.. :rolleyes:
Reply 70
PMCD, Soton and Liverpool are kind of the definate ones at the moment.
Still deciding for 4th choice between Barts & Manc and don't know what to put as a fifth at all (actually thinking about it this year because after 8 rejections - heaven forbid - you might have to actually consider your back-up)

For my backup I'm putting down the 4 year masters in medical genetics in Sheffield.

I love genetics and If I wasn't to do medicine I'd probably take that as far as I can and I'd really enjoy the course.
Hmm sounds interesting.

Still don't understand it I mean everyone knows that they mean almost nothing in Medicine.

Well you say everyone, but not everyone has the privilege of being enlightened by TSR's medical forum users :p:

I am sure there are lots of sixth form teachers, parents, students and other misinformed people who consider "QMUL" medical school to be "inferior" to Oxford. Obviously one way of dealing with this is for QMUL to boost its standing in the league tables.

trying to attract better students aswell may not mean attracting better doctors.

We all know people who are incredibly book smart but have the communication skills of a blunt spear. I certainly know a few very smart people who I wouldn't give my phone number to never mind any confidential information.
Hm, this contradicts information I've received in an email from the SMD however. I didn't get the impression that they're changing their policy, it still seems to be based on ranking the UKCAT. But I don't know, medical school admissions are utterly confusing sometimes :dontknow:

I can't see someone with the required grades and a good UKCAT score (e.g. 660) being turned away :unsure:
Reply 72
Well you say everyone, but not everyone has the privilege of being enlightened by TSR's medical forum users :p:

I am sure there are lots of sixth form teachers, parents, students and other misinformed people who consider "QMUL" medical school to be "inferior" to Oxford. Obviously one way of dealing with this is for QMUL to boost its standing in the league tables.

Hm, this contradicts information I've received in an email from the SMD however. I didn't get the impression that they're changing their policy, it still seems to be based on ranking the UKCAT. But I don't know, medical school admissions are utterly confusing sometimes :dontknow:

I can't see someone with the required grades and a good UKCAT score (e.g. 660) being turned away :unsure:

I hope so since I've got 677.5

Oh and someone should tell
:
that.
Maybe she'd see an application here as less risky? I don't know. Or she should just worry less :P

You have a good UKCAT. Make the most of it if you can.
Original post by digitalis
Wait until a few weeks after results day. They will be inundated with people begging for places on results day.

Yeah sorry i say results day, i meant when i know my results :tongue:
Probably won't ring up until september time when it's time to actually put my choices down on UCAS and i may not even ring up if they manage to reply my email with a straight answer.
Reply 74
Original post by aggie30
They said at the open day that they will use predicted grades so if you are predicted an A* you get the points for it but you wouldn't actually need to get an A* as part of offers. Also they would in this case favour people who took 4 Alevels instead of 3. Re-applicats would be at a slight disadvantage but not really because most people will still offer the standard AAAb which will be 410 points and they would then be placed above the Alevel applicants with the same score because they already achieved the score but not against people will the AAAA predictions or A* A* AA or something like that.

This is what i was told at the open day

She is absolutely right.I did mention this earlier in some other thread sometime ago.I had spoken to the admission tutor directly.

I don't see anything wrong with this policy.BL is looking for brighter students by placing priorities on A* predictions. Medicine is a tough course.Students who can do 4 A level can withstand the stress comfortably.UCL prefers all the modules to to be sat in one go to prove student is capable of facing vigorous exams.All the medical schools are looking for best of the bests.

Oh and someone should tell that.
Maybe she'd see an application here as less risky? I don't know. Or she should just worry less :P

You have a good UKCAT. Make the most of it if you can.

I saw this :smile:

Thanks guys!

Haha maybe i should worry less
(edited 12 years ago)

Oh and someone should tell that.

I saw this :smile:

Thanks guys!

Haha maybe i should worry less

I don't know either, this is all my impression and I could well be totally wrong! So I accept no responsibility for your application or lack therof :p:

Well done on the score btw Joe :yy:

Original post by jagmp
She is absolutely right.I did mention this earlier in some other thread sometime ago.I had spoken to the admission tutor directly.

I don't see anything wrong with this policy.BL is looking for brighter students by placing priorities on A* predictions. Medicine is a tough course.Students who can do 4 A level can withstand the stress comfortably.UCL prefers all the modules to to be sat in one go to prove student is capable of facing vigorous exams.All the medical schools are looking for best of the bests.

Yes, but surely they must still use the UKCAT to discriminate between candidates since (as has already been pointed out) nearly everyone will have, or will be predicted, the right grades?

The SMD website also mentions this:

The UKCAT will be used in the selection process by Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, as part of the consortium of UK Medical and Dental Schools. In order for us to select an appropriate number of candidates, applicants are ranked according to their UKCAT score for the following courses: the five-year MB BS, Graduate Entry Programme (GEP) for Medicine, BDS and Graduate Entry to Dentistry degree (A100, A101, A200, and A201) for all home, EU and non-exempt overseas applicants.

Each year, based on the number of people whom we plan to invite to interview, after ranking the applicants for each programme we determine a UKCAT cut-off score for that programme. Those who have achieved the top UKCAT scores and who have met the academic entry requirements will be invited to attend an interview. These UKCAT cut-off scores are determined by the performance of applicants each year and there is no predetermined cut-off score for the UKCAT at which people will be interviewed.
http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/admissions/medicine/mbbs/ukcat/index.html

:s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
I don't know either, this is all my impression and I could well be totally wrong! So I accept no responsibility for your application or lack therof :p:

Yes, but surely they must still use the UKCAT to discriminate between candidates since (as has already been pointed out) nearly everyone will have, or will be predicted, the right grades?

The SMD website also mentions this:

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/admissions/medicine/mbbs/ukcat/index.html

:s-smilie:

Maybe they havn't updated it?

Someone should email them and ask.

I'm going to bed, working tomorow, knakered.

The UKCAT will be used in the selection process by Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, as part of the consortium of UK Medical and Dental Schools. In order for us to select an appropriate number of candidates, applicants are ranked according to their UKCAT score for the following courses: the five-year MB BS, Graduate Entry Programme (GEP) for Medicine, BDS and Graduate Entry to Dentistry degree (A100, A101, A200, and A201) for all home, EU and non-exempt overseas applicants.

Each year, based on the number of people whom we plan to invite to interview, after ranking the applicants for each programme we determine a UKCAT cut-off score for that programme. Those who have achieved the top UKCAT scores and who have met the academic entry requirements will be invited to attend an interview. These UKCAT cut-off scores are determined by the performance of applicants each year and there is no predetermined cut-off score for the UKCAT at which people will be interviewed.

Haha relax i won't hold you responsible if i get a flat out rejection :tongue:
Plus i already plan to ring them up to verify

I have a feeling this may be outdated information (based on 2011 entry)
Haha relax i won't hold you responsible if i get a flat out rejection :tongue:
Plus i already plan to ring them up to verify

I have a feeling this may be outdated information (based on 2011 entry)

In my experience it's always best to get it in writing i.e. by emailing, but let us know either way :smile:

What's your UKCAT score btw? :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending