The Student Room Group

Not going to university

I've decided not to go to uni because of the fees. I believe that you can get pretty much anywhere, with the exception of maybe a doctor etc that you actually need a degree for, just by hard work and commitment. Unfortunately I go to a grammar school, so when everyone else is stressing about uni and I say I'm not going, I get dirty looks and excluded from the conversation! I've had a part time office job for a year, which I love and wouldn't give up for anything, and I don't really know what I want to do as a career so I think, for me, not going to uni is a good option. Anyone else have the same problem of getting looked down on because they aren't going to uni?:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't worry, not everyone goes to university, although it might seem like it at times! If you're not sure what sort of career you want, perhaps going to university wouldn't be a great move just yet anyway. Then if you later decide that you do want to go, the option to go to university is always open. I'll bet that not all the people who look down on you are 100% sure about their own career paths! At least you're not going just for the sake of an unrealistic image of 'student life' as propagated by the media (trust me, I've met people who do this! :facepalm:). :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by lil huni
Don't worry, not everyone goes to university, although it might seem like it at times! If you're not sure what sort of career you want, perhaps going to university wouldn't be a great move just yet anyway. Then if you later decide that you do want to go, the option to go to university is always open. I'll bet that not all the people who look down on you are 100% sure about their own career paths! At least you're not going just for the sake of an unrealistic image of 'student life' as propagated by the media (trust me, I've met people who do this! :facepalm:). :tongue:

I did think about... lots and lots haha, after so much pressure from teachers saying that without a degree you're a failure! But there's so much you can do in life, so many courses you can take, for example distance learning etc. In sixth form it feels as if life has only a couple of options. Although the student life is quite tempting... there are always parties elsewhere! Parties that don't land you in thousands of pounds in debt! Are you at uni or in school?
Reply 3
Original post by xlovekillsx
I did think about... lots and lots haha, after so much pressure from teachers saying that without a degree you're a failure! But there's so much you can do in life, so many courses you can take, for example distance learning etc. In sixth form it feels as if life has only a couple of options. Although the student life is quite tempting... there are always parties elsewhere! Parties that don't land you in thousands of pounds in debt! Are you at uni or in school?

I'm at university, but don't get me wrong - I'm there to work my bum off! :redface: From my school, most people went to uni, some got jobs and some are doing apprenticeships (one of them is doing an apprenticeship with a farrier, and with the cost of shoeing I'm pretty sure he'll be earning a fair bit more than many of my uni friends in a couple of years!). Personally, I don't think schools (certainly mine) give enough information about other options such as apprenticeships or even about gap years - they tend to focus too much on getting everyone into uni, when some people just aren't interested in or suited to further study.
Reply 4
I'm going to university, but I've got friends who aren't who say they feel like this and get looked down on, but I agree with you, it's wrong that people seem to think university is the only option these days.

In my school the ones who had decided they weren't going to university kind of got pushed to the side, and the focus did seem to be heavier on those who were going uni. One girl had a full time job to go into after a-levels and she said that she was constantly being questioned on why she wasn't doing a degree. I know plenty of people that have good jobs without getting a degree, my brother is 22 and earns about £24k a year without going to uni while his girlfriend has just come out of her degree and has got her first job that's quite a bit lower in pay. And a guy a few years above me had a deposit on a house down with his girlfriend while his friends were graduating uni.

A degree is not essential to become successful in general (unless you're going for a specific career) but people seem to think it is.
Reply 5
It's nice to hear other people say this! I start sixth form for year 13 again tomorrow and I hate it because of the way that everything is run - I'll probably get in trouble for not having a personal statement written! However, by the time year 13 is finished I'll have 2 years experience in an office, great references, 2 A-Levels and a couple of NVQ's. Hopefully that will get me started so I can work as hard as possible to climb up the career ladder!

I agree about students getting pushed to the side if they aren't going to uni though, the teachers aren't as interested in you if you're planning on getting a job straight away - they tend to pretty much ignore you! I guess it depends on the kind of person you are, hopefully I'll end up like your brother instead of just a school leaver with a minimum wage job!
Reply 6
If you are not going to university because of the fee increase then you are making the wrong decision. You are making an idiotic decision. There any plenty of threads here on TSR, which explain the new fee increase and why it isn't a "big deal". You should aspire for a good career and one simpler way to do that is through university.
Reply 7
Original post by Jaqera
If you are not going to university because of the fee increase then you are making the wrong decision. You are making an idiotic decision. There any plenty of threads here on TSR, which explain the new fee increase and why it isn't a "big deal". You should aspire for a good career and one simpler way to do that is through university.

OP phrased the post awkwardly - if you read on, I think they imply that the real reason is a lack of direction where their career is concerned. I think they show maturity in this - waiting to find what career truly interests you is better than hopping on the university bandwagon for 3 years simply because everyone else is.
Reply 8
Original post by Jaqera

It's not just the fees. My aspirations in life is for a happy life and a family, not just a good career. I don't believe that my decision is idiotic at all :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Jaqera

An idiotic decision is a large exaggeration my friend. xlovelkillsx, there are plenty of businesses out there that offer school leaver programmes such as Logica or Barclays. some that pay for degrees. Company's such as Price Waterhouse Coopers offer school leavers a variety of opportunities. And these are world class organisations!

Professional bodies such as CIMA, CIM all offer qualifications that are industry standard in their field and are as good as a degree and these could be studied while getting a job. Maybe start off doing an apprenticeship to get some work experience. If you do your research you'll always find something for you..

I recognise how business driven schools are as an organisation, I think young people are poorly advised at times and see university as the only option. Teachers forget what being a teacher is about ensuring what is best for the individual. Remember these schools are very target driven which particularly under labour was a problem where targets focus in on percentages of school leavers progressing to university.

What so many graduates lack upon leaving university is work experience. Why feel pressured to go to university straight away? Explore the opportunities out there, no one should feel pressurized into making a career choice at 18. It depends on the individual to be successful, not what is written on the piece of paper.
Original post by KJane
I'm going to university, but I've got friends who aren't who say they feel like this and get looked down on, but I agree with you, it's wrong that people seem to think university is the only option these days.

In my school the ones who had decided they weren't going to university kind of got pushed to the side, and the focus did seem to be heavier on those who were going uni. One girl had a full time job to go into after a-levels and she said that she was constantly being questioned on why she wasn't doing a degree. I know plenty of people that have good jobs without getting a degree, my brother is 22 and earns about £24k a year without going to uni while his girlfriend has just come out of her degree and has got her first job that's quite a bit lower in pay. And a guy a few years above me had a deposit on a house down with his girlfriend while his friends were graduating uni.
A degree is not essential to become successful in general (unless you're going for a specific career) but people seem to think it is.

What does your brother work at?
I'm at university, but don't get me wrong - I'm there to work my bum off! :redface: From my school, most people went to uni, some got jobs and some are doing apprenticeships (one of them is doing an apprenticeship with a farrier, and with the cost of shoeing I'm pretty sure he'll be earning a fair bit more than many of my uni friends in a couple of years!). Personally, I don't think schools (certainly mine) give enough information about other options such as apprenticeships or even about gap years - they tend to focus too much on getting everyone into uni, when some people just aren't interested in or suited to further study.

hi erm could u tell me if you know about the apprenticeship about that farrier that your frend is doing thank you :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by hasan4life
hi erm could u tell me if you know about the apprenticeship about that farrier that your frend is doing thank you :smile:

Hi! I don't know much about his apprenticeship, but I do know it lasts about four years and you spend most of your time doing practical work experience, and then you do some sort of NVQ at the end.
Here's some links I found:
http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/Types-of-Apprenticeships/Agriculture-Horticulture-and-Animal-Care/Farriery.aspx
http://www.farrierytraining.co.uk/
:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by bloomblaze
What does your brother work at?

He works at Heathrow airport, he used to sort out all the baggage for planes, but he got promoted last week to a management role, so I'm not entirely sure what his exact new job title is.
Reply 14
Original post by xlovekillsx
I've decided not to go to uni because of the fees. I believe that you can get pretty much anywhere, with the exception of maybe a doctor etc that you actually need a degree for, just by hard work and commitment. Unfortunately I go to a grammar school, so when everyone else is stressing about uni and I say I'm not going, I get dirty looks and excluded from the conversation! I've had a part time office job for a year, which I love and wouldn't give up for anything, and I don't really know what I want to do as a career so I think, for me, not going to uni is a good option. Anyone else have the same problem of getting looked down on because they aren't going to uni?:confused:

Yea, Doctor you need to go to university for......

and Lawyer
and Engineer
and Scientist
and all medical professions
and all top finance jobs
and all top management jobs

so yea.
Reply 15
Original post by chrislpp
Yea, Doctor you need to go to university for......

and Lawyer
and Engineer
and Scientist
and all medical professions
and all top finance jobs
and all top management jobs

so yea.

Maybe OP will be the next Sugar.
Reply 16
Maybe OP will be the next Sugar.

an exception.
Reply 17
Original post by Davethedavedave
an exception.

As are Richard Branson, Simon Cowell, Bill Gates (dropped out of college, but did not attain a degree) and Henry Ford. Many, many successful people did not attend university. But yes, a degree is often seen as the most easily-obtainable pathway to success. And for many, it is - but university is not the only way to a fulfilling career, and if OP wants to work their way up another way, well, more power to them.
Reply 18
As are Richard Branson, Simon Cowell, Bill Gates (dropped out of college, but did not attain a degree) and Henry Ford. Many, many successful people did not attend university. But yes, a degree is often seen as the most easily-obtainable pathway to success. And for many, it is - but university is not the only way to a fulfilling career, and if OP wants to work their way up another way, well, more power to them.

Those are exceptions as well, the vast majority of business leaders will be degree level or above qualifed. And as the future goes on it will become increasingly hard to access top jobs without a degree.

However, if you have a good idea and you can work hard. Then nothing can stop you.
Reply 19
Original post by Davethedavedave
Those are exceptions as well, the vast majority of business leaders will be degree level or above qualifed. And as the future goes on it will become increasingly hard to access top jobs without a degree.

However, if you have a good idea and you can work hard. Then nothing can stop you.

I would not consider them exceptions - I would, however, consider them the minority. Having a degree does give you an undeniable boost into the world of work, especially in business, but perhaps OP does not wish to go into business. And there will always be space for the Alan Sugars of this world (not that I have an obsession with Alan Sugar! :tongue:). Incidentally, I know a very well-off man who runs his own chain of Pound Shops, and he has few qualifications - he's happy, and who could ask for more?
Many career paths would be aided equally well by relevant work experience and just sheer hard work. Then again, perhaps a career isn't the most important thing to everyone - if their life's ambition is to raise a family rather than be elected into the House of Commons, then good for them. As the song goes: 'Don't worry, be happy!'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending