The Student Room Group

Why can't women drive in Saudi Arabia

Question say's it all .Why cant they drive?? whats the logic in it, surely thats the most sexist thing ive heard all my life.

Does anyone agree with the fact they are not allowed to? If so what basis does your argument have
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why can't women drive anywhere else? :tongue:
Reply 2
I'd imagine it's for the same reason as why they can't go out without an accompanying male.
Reply 3
Ask the monarchy and ask Saudi women generally what their view is. I don't understand why tbh.
Reply 4
Original post by No Man
I'd imagine it's for the same reason as why they can't go out without an accompanying male.

saudi society seems very backward. they have no concept of liberalsim
Reply 5
Original post by levantine
Question say's it all .Why cant they drive?? whats the logic in it, surely thats the most sexist thing ive heard all my life.

The monarchy trying to satisfy the men of their society then using religion as an excuse :mad:
If they did it would increase homosexuality :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by Electronica
Why can't women drive anywhere else? :tongue:

hahaha good one....

maybe they saw women driving in other countries and thought it would avoid accidents if they ban them from driving...

Apart from that, they have really tough driving tests. They require you to do all of this:

[video="youtube;qLpxsAp-Dm0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLpxsAp-Dm0[/video]

[video="youtube;fNgKCuCe94o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNgKCuCe94o[/video]

[video="youtube;BH-mWynR6U0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH-mWynR6U0[/video]

Many have died in these tests, consequently, the Saudi government thought it would be better to save all the hot ladies for the more productive (or should I say reproductive) work.
It has nothing to do with Islam, I read somewhere online that they think women are uncontrollable and over emotional??
It turns men gay..duh....
Fasting and Furious: Saudi Drift

[video="youtube;nyPTKpHhYrU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyPTKpHhYrU[/video]
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
It has nothing to do with Islam, I read somewhere online that they think women are uncontrollable and over emotional??

there are lots of non-muslim, non-saudis who would agree to this too....

just saying.:biggrin:
Because the Saudi Heirarchy goes:
1) Man
2) Camel
3) Goat
4) Homosexuals
5) Rapists
6) Murderers
112) Women
Reply 13
Driving gives women independence. The ability to freely move around allows them to share ideas and become independent, something the Saudi government hate as it undermines there authority and is likely to make some dissidents.
Reply 14
I was actualy reading up on this yesterday. coincidence or what!

there are many reasons why woman can't drive - this is from the top of my head .... :smile:

first of all interaction between men and women is prohibited and it is thought that if woman drive they wi have more opportunities to talk to men e.g. at junctions, at traffic accidents,

secondly, the woman are expected to stay at home, driving gives them that independence which threatens the whole honeour concept that woman are meant to have. the woman is the honour of the family, if they go out it tarnishes the rep of the famiy and so woman are not allowed to drive.

thirdly, driving is to an extent seen as a western thing, western ideals are very opposed as it is supposedly corrupting the islam values, thus there is a huge resistance against woman driving.

just a few of the reasons, hope it helps.! :smile:
Original post by arbaaz
I was actualy reading up on this yesterday. coincidence or what!

there are many reasons why woman can't drive - this is from the top of my head .... :smile:

first of all interaction between men and women is prohibited and it is thought that if woman drive they wi have more opportunities to talk to men e.g. at junctions, at traffic accidents,

secondly, the woman are expected to stay at home, driving gives them that independence which threatens the whole honeour concept that woman are meant to have. the woman is the honour of the family, if they go out it tarnishes the rep of the famiy and so woman are not allowed to drive.

thirdly, driving is to an extent seen as a western thing, western ideals are very opposed as it is supposedly corrupting the islam values, thus there is a huge resistance against woman driving.

just a few of the reasons, hope it helps.! :smile:

Im sorry those arguments are bs (i'm a muslim myself) and i thinks its ridiculous women can't drive.

That being said I once asked a friedn who has arabian relatives who love ins audi what they thought about that and she told me;

"most women their actually don't care. If you live in saudi and your ethnically an aracb then the government pays you to stay in saudi. So the majority of arab men don't actually drive because they can afford chaffeurs. If the ban was lifted most women would just carry on using chaffeurs".

just some food for thought

edit: but i still don't agree with it. The ban is just stupid!
Reply 16
Original post by bambi_eyes
Im sorry those arguments are bs (i'm a muslim myself) and i thinks its ridiculous women can't drive.

That being said I once asked a friedn who has arabian relatives who love ins audi what they thought about that and she told me;

"most women their actually don't care. If you live in saudi and your ethnically an aracb then the government pays you to stay in saudi. So the majority of arab men don't actually drive because they can afford chaffeurs. If the ban was lifted most women would just carry on using chaffeurs".

just some food for thought

edit: but i still don't agree with it. The ban is just stupid!

Chaffeurs, maids, servants could also be an increasing problem. What about the mere fact that a male chaffeur is driving a Saudi woman around? Both alone together. Surely that interaction is haraam?

These maids, servants imported from Africa/Pakistan/Indonesia can also become a bit of problem.
Because women, or at least to us outside Saudi Arabia the leaders of that retarded regime, are born with brain damage and cannot be considered mature enough to make decisions.
Reply 18
Why can't you get it through your heads different countries have different laws. I don't see Saudi Arabia moaning about the laws here. It's all this attitude about spreading the filthy western culture in these Muslim countries and taking away Islamic values.
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee

That's an ironic thing to say because women are heavily controlled over there. But I get your meaning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending