The Student Room Group

What do you call your Grandmother?

Poll

The name you call your Grandmother:

Please give reasons why.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I call mine Gran, because everyone in family does. It's a bitch trying to find a card for her, they're all "nan" or "grandma" or "grandmother"...
Grandma
For the same reason I have the accent I do, it's just what I've been brought up saying.
Reply 4
This was posted from The Student Room's iPod app
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by hvcxxx
Grandma and Nana
They chose what they wanted to be called! Also having the same 'name' would have been confusing

Reply 6
Nenek (Malay/Chinese) because that's what my parents told me to call her.

When talking about her to others I refer to her as Grandma Jasmina though.

P.S- Why is this in the religion section?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by cfizzle
I call mine Gran, because everyone in family does. It's a bitch trying to find a card for her, they're all "nan" or "grandma" or "grandmother"...

I call her gran as well, she always ends up with cards that have random stickers over it to hide the rest of the letters on it haha.
Mama, which makes me found like I'm from the 1800's or something. Dunno why I call her that, but I always have and it sounds stupid, but I can't break the habit now. It must be 'cause my dad called her mam.
Reply 9
Call them Da di (Paternal) and Na ni (Maternal)
Cos i'm Bengali :smile:
Reply 10
I called both of mine "Nan", I dont know why though.IMO it would have felt a tad weird for me to call either of them anything else, ie Gran/Granny/Grandma/Grandmother.
Reply 11
Granny (maternal) and Nana (paternal) :smile:
I still call mine Grandma. :K: I know I shouldn't though.
Reply 13
Original post by Cherriesxo
I still call mine Grandma. :K: I know I shouldn't though.

Why shouldn't you?
Original post by Iqbal007
Call them Da di (Paternal) and Na ni (Maternal)
Cos i'm Bengali :smile:

same with me....am pakistani. except add jaan at the end like nani-jan, dadi-jan to add more love/respect...
I call my dad's mother nanny and my mum's mother granny. Don't really know why to be honest, that's just what I've called them from a very young age.
Reply 16
I call my maternal grandma nani ami and my paternal grandma dadi ami - Pakistani.
Big mummy.
I call my maternal (Scottish) grandmother "Gran" and my paternal (English) grandmother by her name.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Iron Lady
Why shouldn't you?

I'm almost 19. Haha!

Quick Reply

Latest