The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LSESUguy
I'm applying to

KINGS
QMUL
SGUL
SOUTHAMPTON

For 4-year Medicine courses.

I want to know if there is any benefit to submitting your application on the first day that submission is allowed, versus submitting on the deadline?

i.e. are applications looked at on a rolling basis? or do they only start looking after the deadline?

Thank you!

Barts and The London, not QMUL :nah:

And to answer your question, it will make absolutely no difference. So don't feel pressurised to send your application in early...take those extra few weeks to make sure it's as good as can be.
Anywhere up to 48 weeks in a year depending on the med school, year and type of course.
Reply 3382
Original post by myyrh
what's your question?

do i need a math higher for medicine ? em talking about highers not a levels please thank you
Reply 3383
Original post by eenu
do i need a math higher for medicine ? em talking about highers not a levels please thank you

Well I'm not familiar with highers entry requirements but seeing as Glasgow says
Minimum of AAAAB at one sitting including Chemistry and Biology and either Mathematics or Physics.
and Aberdeen says Chemistry required to grade B minimum
Two subjects required from Biology/Human Biology, Maths & Physics

I would say that some medical schools will require it or physics so it might be beneficial.
Original post by thefiretailedpony
How many weeks yearly does the course start? Is it the same regardless of the Uni? I can't find that information anywhere on the Uni's websites which makes it impossible to calculate how much money I will need for the accommodation.

Where should I look for that?

Thanks!

Regardless of where you go, for years after first year chances are you'll be in private accommodation which you find (as opposed to halls) so you'll likely be going into a 52 week contract.

If it helps, for 1st year at Barts and the London it's mid-september to end of March for A100, longer than that for GEPs (think it's start of september to end June but not sure on the end date tbh)
Hey!
Does anyone know which non british medical schools are GMC recognised. I emailed them but didn't get a helpful response tbh! I just want to know, as I want to leave the UK for Uni, as I need a break from here :P but will probably come back later on in life, so want to be able to practice here.
Thanks in advance
Reply 3386
Original post by AishaTara
Hey!
Does anyone know which non british medical schools are GMC recognised. I emailed them but didn't get a helpful response tbh! I just want to know, as I want to leave the UK for Uni, as I need a break from here :P but will probably come back later on in life, so want to be able to practice here.
Thanks in advance

http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/acceptable_primary_medical_qualification.asp
Hey!
Thanks in advance

Charles University in Prague, and I think St Georges in the Caribbeans
Reply 3388
hi guys i was just wondering...

im starting voluntary work in a care home this month so by the time i submit my application i would have only been doing it for about 3-4 months. Will this put me at a big disadvantage?
Reply 3389
Original post by d_ahmed

im starting voluntary work in a care home this month so by the time i submit my application i would have only been doing it for about 3-4 months. Will this put me at a big disadvantage?

No. Bear in mind that it is your personal experiences during your placement that matter the most, not the amount of time spent doing it. :smile:
Reply 3390
Original post by d_ahmed

Not at all. 4 months does show long term commitment and you could always write it as on going in your personal statement if you choose to carry it on.
Reply 3391
Hey!
Thanks in advance

Carol Davila med school in Bucharest
Reply 3392
I haven't been able to information on the universities that will disregard my Medicine application if I do not achieve all As at AS. I do know Birmingham is one :frown:.

Anybody know more than I do on the matter (note very hard) and willing to help? Thanks.
Most of them..if not all :/.
Original post by QTpie118
I haven't been able to information on the universities that will disregard my Medicine application if I do not achieve all As at AS. I do know Birmingham is one :frown:.

Anybody know more than I do on the matter (note very hard) and willing to help? Thanks.

Have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements, although some of the information may be outdated :smile:

Bear in mind, that most places don't even look at your AS levels, rather your A Level predictions / GCSEs.

I'd avoid Oxbridge too, just to be safe.
My friend got AAAB at AS and got 3 offers for Medicine, it's not the be-all and end-all.
Original post by Fcuk!
Most of them..if not all :/.

Actually, it's very few. Birmingham and Cambridge want 4A's, one or two others might too; just read the entry requirements carefully before applying.
Reply 3397
Most unis look at A level predictions but can look at As if they want to. I know that Kings would allow 1/2 Bs at As and there will be others. You should remember that for Medicine its also about the admissions test, so if you lack in As grades but make up for it in the tests they will still consider you. Also there are unis that have foundation courses that have offers of AAA-CCC. Look around.
Reply 3398
Original post by KeepBreathing
My friend got AAAB at AS and got 3 offers for Medicine, it's not the be-all and end-all.

Ah, that's good! Do you know which universities they are?
Reply 3399
Original post by thegodofgod
Have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements, although some of the information may be outdated :smile:

Bear in mind, that most places don't even look at your AS levels, rather your A Level predictions / GCSEs.

I'd avoid Oxbridge too, just to be safe.

That's quite a useful table, thanks :smile:. Yeah, I wasn't planning on applying to either.

Quick Reply

Latest