The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Personal Statements - share tips and ask for advice

Scroll to see replies

Um, so I have two prospective careers in mind, Forensic Scientist and Software/Computer Engineer, and my teacher told me that you had to speak of your career choice whilst talking about your chosen subjects. I'm applying to a few different schools with different subject choices cause the other school doesn't offer it. In this case school A doesn't offer Computer Sci. but school B does.

Do you think it would be better to make two different personal statements tailored around each career with the usual stuff like character and all that or make one personal statement that's more vague and explores more about character, experience and qualifications?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
Reply 101
Original post by mollyrt
For everyone starting sixth form in September 2015, aren't the qualifications and all that changing? We've been told that they're getting rid of AS levels and just having two years of A levels but even teachers don't know how that's going to affect choosing our options or our personal statements. Can anyone help?

Not an expert but I'm under the impression that things will only change if the conservatives get into power...

I expect it means that you can't drop subjects, and GCSEs will just become a lot more important.
Original post by RK
We get a number of people asking about Sixth Form Personal Statements on here and all get answered separately - so here is a place for people to ask for help and maybe post up what they have written to looked at. With PS for Sixth Form apparently becoming more common and more important, it might be useful to ask questions about your PS.

We have the PS Helpers for the Uni PSs - but speaking to them they don't know much about Sixth Form PSs, so think this thread is a good idea where Sixth Form people who know more about them can take a look an help other people.

So if you want help do the following

Say what school you're applying to

Say what subjects/qualifications you want to do

Ask what sort of help you need (general pointers on what to include/your statement checking over/advice on structure etc)

Maybe post up what you have written to get checked over.

While it's different for every school and college, we could also try to draw up some general advice and tips on what to do and how to find out more information specific to your school or college. So let's get posting in here and see what we can come up with :smile:

I've decided to apply to Wyke Sixth Form and have chosen the A levels maths, chemistry, psychology and art. I was wondering if these were a good mix of subjects to choose together or not and also how to make my application to the sixth form stand out, thanks.
It's been a long time since I did my personal statement, but the best advice I can give is to keep on going back to your tutors for advice, if you're really stuck, get them to go through every bit individually with you and then seek a parents feedback. Good luck to everyone doing their personal statements at the moment :smile:
In my GCSEs I received BBCCCC,would 4As levels at grade AAAA and 3A* at A Level make up for it??
Original post by KrisD98
In my GCSEs I received BBCCCC,would 4As levels at grade AAAA and 3A* at A Level make up for it??

Well, yes in most situations, but you need to check whether GCSE results are taken into account when applying for particular courses.

More to the point, that increase in results is massive. Good luck with it but you'll need a plan B if it doesn't quite work out ...
i go to paddington academy in year11 and i want to know how to answer the question (why do you want to join 6th form at PA) i am thinking of choosing psychology and chemistry
Reply 107
Omg you're taking the exact same subjects as I am but I'm applying to Weald
Reply 108
I am in the process of writing my sixth form essay Am I must write about why I want to attend the sixth form
Reply 109
I am in the process of applying for a sixth form
But I must write about why I want to attend the sixth form
Reply 110
But I must write about why I want to attend the sixth form
Reply 111
Original post by makiba
But I must write about why I want to attend the sixth form and I must tell how will attending this sixth form benefit me in the advance into university
In my application form it asks for stuff like general interests, if you are currently involved in sports, if you play a musical instrument, work experience and part time work as well as a personal statement. Would it seem bad if I left these blank or should I just write about stuff I used to do even tho it says currently? Bcz all the stuff I'm actually involved in is in my personal statement, but I feel like it looks awful if I have those boxes all blank in the application.
Reply 113
Deleted post
(edited 5 years ago)
How do I start my personal statement?I am not sure if to start with introducing myself or just say why I want to attend to that specific sixth form.thank you in advance
Original post by minnie.2004
How do I start my personal statement?I am not sure if to start with introducing myself or just say why I want to attend to that specific sixth form.thank you in advance

Are you given any guidelines? If not, maybe start with a concise statement of what your ambitions are and why you think going to that college will help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending