The Student Room Group

PMP's Transformation Blog

starting stats on Wednesday 4th January 2012

height : 5'4" and a quarter of an inch
weight : 10 stone 10lbs 4oz
dress size : 12

starting photos can be found HERE

Day 1 - Thursday 5th Jan 2012

woke up this morning and weighed myself, naked, obviously, after I had peed (well duh!) and I was 10 stone 9lbs 4oz, which is exactly a pound less than I was yesterday when I joined the transformation competition. WOOO!

Breakfast : 1 vanilla activia yoghurt. 65 calories.

Come midday I was well ready for my...

Lunch : 1 lunchable. 270 calories. Okay, so not the best lunch, but what can I say? I was sat in a garage waiting for the mechanic to stick 2 new tyres on my car. One was bald, the other had a nail in it. I went home feeling slightly annoyed at how **** my lunch was, and how I had been relieved of £104 for the tyres. Expensive lunch!

Went to tesco in the afternoon and by the time I got home it was 5pm and I was ****ing starving so I ate 2 crackers (66 calories in total) and a small piece of half fat cheese (calories unknown).

Husband was ill and I could not be arsed cooking, so dinner consisted of a takeaway. Chicken tikka in pitta with salad, 1 onion bhaji (which was FREE so I ate it, which was wrong, but meh), and I did get a portion of chips with cheese also but I only ate half.
Calories = 84508043589745. Actually I haven't got the faintest idea how many calories it was. I don't think chicken tikka in pitta with salad is that much really, but the garlic mayo on it probably was, and so was the bhaji and the chips with cheese.

Conclusion, not the most fantastic start to the transformation really. I'm as full as a barrel and feel like a walrus. Not a whale, I'm not that big, but a walrus at least. A sizeable walrus though.

Exercise - BAHAHAHA erm yeh, not today love, I've been like a blue arsed fly today to be honest.
I don't exercise. I should exercise, but I don't, but I will, I can't even begin to "transform" without exercise, I do realise that. Not going out in this godforsaken weather though just to freeze my little (okay, big) tush off! *shivers at the thought*. Something indoors, in the house, like....bench pressing the dog. There's a thought, I should bench-press Fluffy. She only weighs less than 9lbs though, it's not exactly a huge challenge really.

Right, enough waffle, I have a book to write!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well done for doing this :h:

Just wondering: Are you trying to justify what you've had to eat to the masses? This is a change for yourself, not for anyone else. Only justify it to yourself. If you can help it though, eat as little processed food as possible. Even if it's not super healthy, home made will generally make you feel better (and appreciate the food more, which can often be ignored when you have a busy lifestyle like yours).
For exercise: Lift your kids :biggrin: Nah but seriously, I assume you do the household etc? That burns some calories too :h:

I'm assuming you're not in it for a "cut" or muscle building w/e but this is part of a change for life, so all this "eat only lean chicken breast and green veg" won't realllly apply to you anyway, unless you can really make that change for the whole family (it's easier when everyone works with you).

Anyway, I'm not an expert but all I want to say is don't beat yourself up about having a diet that's a bit unhealthier than the rest of those in the contest, though you SHOULD eat more fruit and veg (not lettuce leaves, ACTUAL veg :p: )
Original post by whitepearlbaby
Well done for doing this :h:

Just wondering: Are you trying to justify what you've had to eat to the masses? This is a change for yourself, not for anyone else. Only justify it to yourself. If you can help it though, eat as little processed food as possible. Even if it's not super healthy, home made will generally make you feel better (and appreciate the food more, which can often be ignored when you have a busy lifestyle like yours).
For exercise: Lift your kids :biggrin: Nah but seriously, I assume you do the household etc? That burns some calories too :h:

I'm assuming you're not in it for a "cut" or muscle building w/e but this is part of a change for life, so all this "eat only lean chicken breast and green veg" won't realllly apply to you anyway, unless you can really make that change for the whole family (it's easier when everyone works with you).

Anyway, I'm not an expert but all I want to say is don't beat yourself up about having a diet that's a bit unhealthier than the rest of those in the contest, though you SHOULD eat more fruit and veg (not lettuce leaves, ACTUAL veg :p: )

Oh I do eat veg, you should have seen my dinner the day before, I had peas, carrots, brocolli, and cauliflower. And tons of it :tongue:

As for justification, I dunno who I'm trying to justify it to really lol, I just figured it sounded kind of **** so it needed an explanation :redface:

I do household chores yeh, but other than that my exercise is kind of...well...not really there. I've managed to lose 3 and a half stone over the past 2 years though without really exercising much so I guess it's not so dreadful.

I just want to lose weight really, I'm aware that my figure is sort of screwed after having the kids, but I don't want to be overweight any more. I'd like to get down to a size 10, and lose a stone, but whether I'll manage that within 12 weeks I'm not sure.
Day 2 - Lunchtime blog.

Breakfast - Activia yoghurt. Vanilla. 65 calories.

Lunch - pate and cucumber sandwich. On 2 slices of WW bread (50 cals a slice). Just ate it, was damn yummy.

Dinner tonight shall be home made risotto, of which I shall probably eat too much of because, if I do say so myself, my risottos are bloody tasty.
Reply 4
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Day 2 - Lunchtime blog.

Breakfast - Activia yoghurt. Vanilla. 65 calories.

Lunch - pate and cucumber sandwich. On 2 slices of WW bread (50 cals a slice). Just ate it, was damn yummy.

Dinner tonight shall be home made risotto, of which I shall probably eat too much of because, if I do say so myself, my risottos are bloody tasty.

Doesn't appear that you are having enough dietary fibres in your diet. Why not have some oats for breakfast?

Seems like you are missing your 5-a day of fruits and vegetables as well.
Original post by Herr
Doesn't appear that you are having enough dietary fibres in your diet. Why not have some oats for breakfast?

Seems like you are missing your 5-a day of fruits and vegetables as well.

The risotto will contain peas and onions but yes I agree I'm a bit rubbish at eating enough fruits. I buy them (got grapes and apples in at the moment) but the kids end up eating them all.

Though it depends what I have. Some days I eat tons of veggies for dinner, but other days not, it depends what I have.

You're right I need to eat some more fruit.

As for the oats, I'm trying to keep calories down, so having oats for breakfast will scupper that. I don't really want to up my breakfast calories. Not sure where else I could incorporate more fibre into my diet though. hmm.
Having said that, I'm going to be doing my husband's pre-op diet with him really soon and that forces you to eat 5 a day.
Reply 7
The risotto will contain peas and onions but yes I agree I'm a bit rubbish at eating enough fruits. I buy them (got grapes and apples in at the moment) but the kids end up eating them all.

Though it depends what I have. Some days I eat tons of veggies for dinner, but other days not, it depends what I have.

You're right I need to eat some more fruit.

As for the oats, I'm trying to keep calories down, so having oats for breakfast will scupper that. I don't really want to up my breakfast calories. Not sure where else I could incorporate more fibre into my diet though. hmm.

Well apples aren't exactly good for you if you're dieting, I used to be big into having an apple and a banana at breakfast time, but have since stopped. Guess it can't be a bad thing for you that the kids are having them all :biggrin: But grapes is good for dieting though.

As for how you could incorporate more fibre.... might work for you, this is somewhat how my gf does it :-

The moment she wakes up (usually around 6am), she has a small glass of soda water with 2tbsp of lemon juice, 1/2 a grapefruit and 1/2 of the previous night's dinner.

Between breakfast and lunch (usually around 10am) she has a small bowl of muesli with berries.

Lunch (1pm), salad of lettuce, tomatoes, celery and carrot with either a boiled egg or smoked/poached fish. She will have that other half of that grapefruit.

3.30pm snack, usually a slice of toasted dark rye bread.

6.30pm dinner, dinners usually consist of potatoes, meat/fish and a vegetable. She will eat just half of it and eat the other half in the morning for breakfast. She will finish that meal with a yoghurt.

Just before she turns in for the night, she will have a glass of water with 2tbsp of lemon juice.... she turns in rather early though usually by 9.30 or so she will start asking for her cuddles so she can be asleep by 10 or so.... such a good life being a civil servant :tongue: An interesting thing about her eating habits is she will never eat her main meals in a hurry, instead she will take her time to eat even if it is lunch, full hour will go just eating that salad and usually she takes very small bites at a time... a typical French characteristic, supposedly there is a reasoning behind it as to why it works in keeping weights down.

I don't follow her regime as I need to stay up a lot later into the night and I will start finding for any kind of junk food I could get my hands on to keep me going through the night if I don't have a full dinner. I also have problems eating dinner food for breakfast, also it isn't practical for me to follow her 5 meal a day strategy as my work schedule doesn't allow such a luxury.

As for how you can increase your fibre intake without it affecting your calorie count, maybe that yoghurt in the morning you could change it to one with cereals in it, the one my gf consumes has some fibres cereals in it made by Coop, I remember UK had the Activia by Danone that had similar cereals in the yoghurt and there was one version at one time where they claimed it only had 50 cals to it.... maybe that is an option for you?

Maybe instead of eating WW bread, you could replace it with multi-grain or oatmeal breads? Rye might be an option too if you can tolerate the dryness to it and resist the temptation of loading it up with spreads.

As for the dishes like risotto or pasta, instead of using the white rice try a brown rice alternative which also helps in absorbing some of the oils you consume. You could do the same with pasta as well, try using the brown wheat variety, you won't really taste the difference between a wheat flour spaghetti to a normal spaghetti.

Other alternative I suppose is maybe you could make the dinner portion smaller and have enough calories left to spare for a small bowl of oats in the morning?

In any case you should be having a better fibre content once you adhere to the 5 a day of fruits and veg.
cheers for the advice Herr. I don't think I could do what your girlfriend does but I shall attempt some of your suggestions. The problem, as I'm sure you are aware, is that when you buy meals you tend to buy what goes down with the family, and my husband will crucify me if I bought brown pasta or rice or rye bread, and I can't afford to buy two different types. But, as I say, his pre-op diet which I'm doing in solidarity starts on 12th January, and his op itself is on 26th, so I think things will change drastically around here in therms of food for him and I when that happens.

I'm going to see what I can do about the fibre thing though. Maybe I'll have ryvita for breakfast or something instead of the vanilla activia I'm currently having.
risotto was predictably awesome. Also I pinched one of Alex's teeny weeny snack sized crunchie bars. *slaps hand* bad mama.
Oh well, risotto gives you enough awesome points :awesome:
Reply 11
Original post by Herr
Well apples aren't exactly good for you if you're dieting, I used to be big into having an apple and a banana at breakfast time, but have since stopped. Guess it can't be a bad thing for you that the kids are having them all :biggrin: But grapes is good for dieting though.

Really, why?
Oh well, risotto gives you enough awesome points :awesome:

I probably ate more of the stuff than I should have. Saying that though, I love making risotto mostly because everybody eats it. Do you know how hard it is to find something that 2 adults AND 3 kids enjoy eating, without hearing "I don't like that muuuuuum, I don't want that for dinner" and me having to resort to "There are starving children in the world I'll have you know!!" lol.
Risotto goes down a treat with everybody, which is such a blessing lol.

Plus it had 2 large onions in it, and half a bag of frozen peas, so I got veggies in me lol :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by tabbycat1
Really, why?

High calorie content, second only to a banana.
Original post by Herr
High calorie content, second only to a banana.

But grapes have loadsa sugar!
Reply 15
But grapes have loadsa sugar!

All fruits have sugar :smile:

The difference is 1 apple has between 100-110 cals, while a banana has 130-150 cals.

A grape has 3 cals to it..... it is rare that one person will eat the entire bunch of grapes :biggrin:
Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK and I know you can do it :-).
Reply 17

my husband will crucify me if I bought brown pasta or rice or rye bread, and I can't afford to buy two different types. But, as I say, his pre-op diet which I'm doing in solidarity starts on 12th January, and his op itself is on 26th, so I think things will change drastically around here in therms of food for him and I when that happens..

Try mixing regular and brown, use a ratio of 3/4 white and 1/4 brown, they won't realize the difference in taste or texture. :smile:

Anyway I think once you start on your 5-a day, things should get better.

What happens after the op? You going to follow his diet in solidarity too? :biggrin:
Original post by Herr

The difference is 1 apple has between 100-110 cals, while a banana has 130-150 cals.

A grape has 3 cals to it..... it is rare that one person will eat the entire bunch of grapes :biggrin:

Is it? I eat entire punnets of grapes tbh. I prefer looking at the percentage of sugar or the calories/100g rather than looking at individual fruits.
Original post by Herr

This is silly, an apple is not bad if you're dieting. :rolleyes: Fruit is not bad for you, it is fine and HEALTHY to have an apple as a snack - nobody is saying you would eat 5 of them. Nutritious and a source of fibre.

Eating a piece of fruit is fine, bananas are fine too - yes 150 calories might seem like 'a lot' (I don't think it is), but they are very good for you and have lots of potassium in. A banana is going to keep you full for longer than 3 grapes at 3 calories each.
It is better to get used to eating this rather than 'low calorie' processed foods or unhealthy things.

I hate bad advice like this and people trying to scare others off eating fruit. You are giving stupid and false information, like grapes are good for dieting and apples aren't.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest