The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VQG
Did they really though? It's all well and good coming out and saying that you want to keep these players, if they hadn't said that the fans would've been outraged. They didn't really do anything to keep these players imo - as in show some ambition by going out and purchasing some quality players. That would've been a bigger show of intent to quality players rather than a mega new deal.

So your saying they wouldn't want to keep hold of our two best players? I think the main thing is that Wenger has only realised this season that he needs to sign quality players to convince the one's we currently have to believe in the project. And I say this because if you look at his tying up the Podolski deal (which RvP is aware of) it could influence him into staying as he'll get a class player to play alongside.

I don't know how you can say Arsenal didn't really do anything to keep the players too. Here's a few examples: after the 2010 WC it was clear that Cesc wanted to leave but Wenger persuaded him to stay and was probably hoping for a Ronaldo-esque season (when he stayed for one more year even though he wanted to leave for Madrid and then won you the league). Wenger wanted to keep Nasri for another season too and was prepared for him to run down his deal until 2013 but the board convinced him to cash in because £24m is much better than getting nothing.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
The point is irrelevant though because it's yet to happen and it's unlikely to happen in the first place. Arsène Wenger has been at Arsenal for 16 years this season and guided us into the CL 15 years in a row. What's the point of mentioning a situation like that when it's likely that Arsenal will get stronger, rather than weaker. The Podolski signing is wrapped up, that should tell you of Arsenal's ambition to go from being a top four club into title-contenders.

EDIT - Arsenal's commerical revenue is only going to increase too and it's currently one of the worst out of all the top European clubs. Surely that leaves Arsenal in an even stronger position.
Don't quite see how it hasn't happened yet makes it irrelevant. Much like United, all of that has happened under the guidance of one very talented man, the future after Wenger is pretty uncertain. He has hinted that might be sooner rather than later, I can see him being in the line for the Madrid job should it become available. I also don't think Podolski will turn you into title contenders, he's flopped on the big stage before even if he has matured he's moving to a different club in a different league where he isn't the focus of the attack. If Podolski was that good, much like Gervinho, I think other clubs would be very interested at £10.9m. I think he's a good addition but not a world class or even close one.

Commercial revenue comes with performance, and even then you need the fan base to drive it. The biggest commercial revenues, have all come with titles. I think its more difficult than just jacking up ticket prices. I imagine it would increase but without the success I don't think it will grow as large as clubs who build their on success.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
The point is irrelevant though because it's yet to happen and it's unlikely to happen in the first place. Arsène Wenger has been at Arsenal for 16 years this season and guided us into the CL 15 years in a row. What's the point of mentioning a situation like that when it's likely that Arsenal will get stronger, rather than weaker. The Podolski signing is wrapped up, that should tell you of Arsenal's ambition to go from being a top four club into title-contenders.

EDIT - Arsenal's commerical revenue is only going to increase too and it's currently one of the worst out of all the top European clubs. Surely that leaves Arsenal in an even stronger position.

What incentive do other companies have to significantly increase upon your current deals? The possible blossoming of talent from your much vaunted [for some reason] academy? The fact that Emirates got so much publicity when Arsenal won so many trophies during their sponsorship? The chance to sponsor a guaranteed title challenger?

Oh snap.

Liverpool have a bigger commercial reach than Arsenal. That is a fact.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9803
Dunno if anyone mentioned it (story's a few days old) but Macheda is back from QPR as he's injured, and out for the rest of the season.
What a boost. To QPR.
Original post by Colonel.
What a boost. To QPR.

Yeah, reduces their wage bill a tad - it only runs at ~ 180% of turnover.
Only just noticed that we're playing on Monday again, this is really starting to piss me off now. My weekend isn't the same without watching United....
Original post by Akkuz
Do you guys think its a coincidence or there is something wrong with the physio-side of things within the club?

Think its a coincidence. Cleverley was rushed back and suffered a set back. The twins are still young and are injury prone. Vidic has nothing to do with the physio side. Fletcher the physios cant be at fault for his illness and probably deserve some of the credit for why fletcher could carry on playing.
I always did like Sunderland....
Reply 9809
If you look back 6 seasons you will find that Sunderland finished on 15 points. Now they're raping City at the Etihad...
(edited 12 years ago)
A win at Blackburn on Monday will end the season for City imho.

Also Im loving how all the city fans are bumming Teves now hoping he can do something when not long ago they were trying to burn him at the stake.
(edited 12 years ago)
Balotelli trying to start a fight with his own team because they won't let him take a free kick now.
Original post by modini
If you look back 6 seasons you will find that Sunderland finished on 15 points. Now they're raping City at the Etihad...

Sunderland are having a fantastic game. Id hate it to be United against Sunderland playing like this tbh.
In the words of Randy Savage (RIP): Ooooh yeaahhhh
I really can't wait for MOTD tonight :biggrin:
Reply 9815
Chelsea now drawing after being 2-0 up, today is such a great day :biggrin:
Reply 9816
Original post by Tommyjw
Sunderland are having a fantastic game. Id hate it to be United against Sunderland playing like this tbh.

Yeah, it would be a hard game for us indeed. Martin O'Neill is a brilliant manager.
Got a tenner on city to win, that's the only thing im slightly annoyed about :biggrin:
City lose.
Liverpool could go 9th
Today is a good day.

Not too bothered about Arsenal & Chelsea results. In fact i want Arsenal to win so they were in better form for City.
Original post by Saf94
Chelsea now drawing after being 2-0 up, today is such a great day :biggrin:

2-3 :frown:

Latest