The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan of £0.00 !!

Hi folks,

I wonder whether anyone can help me to understand why on earth i am entitiled to £0.00 maintenance loan from student finance.

I thought that for prospective nursing students there is a non-means tested loan available, but after i went through the application i am eligible for nothing at all.

I am mature/independant student and have no idea how to survive on nhs bursary.

Any ideas why it is £0?

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Lisitza

Any ideas why it is £0?
Thank you

Do you already have a first degree? That will be the reason for the £0 loan. NHS bursaries are separate, and you should receive a letter about what to do. See http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/3254.aspx
Original post by Lisitza
Hi folks,

I wonder whether anyone can help me to understand why on earth i am entitiled to £0.00 maintenance loan from student finance.

I thought that for prospective nursing students there is a non-means tested loan available, but after i went through the application i am eligible for nothing at all.

Any ideas why it is £0?

Thank you

It's either because: you have a previous degree, or are studying the nursing diploma (as opposed to the degree), which means you aren't eligible for any funding from Student Finance.
Reply 3
Thank you,

I though that would be the case, though, my degree was ages ago and in another country when i was not UK national...

Disaster!
Reply 4
Original post by Lisitza
Thank you,

I though that would be the case, though, my degree was ages ago and in another country when i was not UK national...

Disaster!

As I say, the rules about previous degrees don't apply to NHS bursaries, which pay fees on nursing courses and provide either a non means tested or a means tested bursary depending on course.
Reply 5
Original post by Pkysam
As I say, the rules about previous degrees don't apply to NHS bursaries, which pay fees on nursing courses and provide either a non means tested or a means tested bursary depending on course.

Thank you,

I know that NHS bursaries are separate (diploma or degree), i was confused about the loan from student finance. Now it is all clear as a water to me.

Thanks again.
Reply 6
Original post by Lisitza
Hi folks,

Any ideas why it is £0?

Thank you

If you are on a NHS course you are still entitled appx £2300ish from SF, on the website it can't work out that you've done a degree already AND it's NHS course.. I had the same problem, then phoned them. They told me once the application actually goes to a human then you will get confirmation that you are entitled to the reduced loan..
I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by LucyRJM
If you are on a NHS course you are still entitled appx £2300ish from SF, on the website it can't work out that you've done a degree already AND it's NHS course.. I had the same problem, then phoned them. They told me once the application actually goes to a human then you will get confirmation that you are entitled to the reduced loan..

sadly Student Finance make this an incredibly difficult procedure :angry:
Reply 8
Original post by LucyRJM

The same thing happened to me, and when my letter came through it confirmed that I was actually entitled to some moneys, regardless of my previous degree. The automated computer system they use to initially calculate your entitlement is a pile of poo.

Quick Reply

Latest