The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

What is university of Surrey like?

Hey, im hoping to study computer science at university of Surrey starting on 2012, anyone know what the timetables are like for computer science students at Surrey? How many hours of lectures per week and how many seminars? Also how many students would you typically have in your seminars?.. Any help much appreciated.! Plus any other information generally on the university (pros n cons for example) feel free to discuss :smile:)
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
I don't do Computer Science, or anything remotely close, so I can't really comment on that :wink:.

However the University as a whole is great. The thing I like about it is that the whole place is pretty relaxed, Guildford's a great town and there really is something for everybody. Because Guildford isn't a massive place full of nightclubs, the social life at Surrey isn't as heavy-drinking-hardcore-clubbing dependent as many other Universities, although obviously it's still there if you want it.

But as I said, overall the place is pretty relaxed, everybody is really friendly and there's just a good positive atmosphere about the place :smile:.
Original post by illusiveX
Hey, im hoping to study computer science at university of Surrey starting on 2012, anyone know what the timetables are like for computer science students at Surrey? How many hours of lectures per week and how many seminars? Also how many students would you typically have in your seminars?.. Any help much appreciated.! Plus any other information generally on the university (pros n cons for example) feel free to discuss :smile:)

I'm finishing last year CS, and I love it (both the course and the uni).

First semester was about 14-18 hours per week, second is about 22-24 per week. No seminars, just lectures, labs (practical coding etc). About 40-50 people.

Some useful links

Computing department

Current timetable for CS 1st year Semester two(PDF)

Meme page (every Uni has one :P. Try googling things you don't understand and you'll learn more about the Uni that way )

Twyford court seems to have the best social life, followed by any Band C accommodation and then Manor Park (where I stay, Band D)
Reply 4
*subscribes* this is my firm too, but I think I have blown by chances and got BBB. So will probably be rejected and go to my insurance. Fingers crossed i'll be there in september though. Maybe if I get ABB they'll let me slip in? Loved it on the ucas and open days. Anyone know of the flexability of grades with the computing department? Any chance of a BBB entry?
Reply 5
Yeahhh, how is the actual uni like? I may be applying over there for nutrition and dietetics. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Anyone know if the business/management department are any good? considering taking a visit but have so many on the list not sure where to start - is it worth it? :smile:
thankss
Reply 7
I can't say anything about science seminars, but uni is awesome. I really enjoy my time there. Facilities are very good. Nice places to eat ^^
Reply 8
Original post by _Saaaam_
Anyone know if the business/management department are any good? considering taking a visit but have so many on the list not sure where to start - is it worth it? :smile:
thankss

I'm doing management degree. It is very good. Overall, it is not hard and very helpful lecturers. It is not just academically good but also professional help with employability.
Reply 9
Original post by lNurl
I'm doing management degree. It is very good. Overall, it is not hard and very helpful lecturers. It is not just academically good but also professional help with employability.

Hey I'm thinking to apply for BM course there. I tired to find out reading list for the course, just to help me out during first term. Couldn't find any though, what books would u suggest reading so the course becomes a little more easier to understand? Any help would be really appreciated. Many thanks.
Reply 10
Original post by Rakhim_
Hey I'm thinking to apply for BM course there. I tired to find out reading list for the course, just to help me out during first term. Couldn't find any though, what books would u suggest reading so the course becomes a little more easier to understand? Any help would be really appreciated. Many thanks.

Search the website for the module catalogue - therell be reading lists on there for each module, if any. Best dont buy until youre atui though. Lecturers will tell you if you should read/buy something

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Just Josh
*subscribes* this is my firm too, but I think I have blown by chances and got BBB. So will probably be rejected and go to my insurance. Fingers crossed i'll be there in september though. Maybe if I get ABB they'll let me slip in? Loved it on the ucas and open days. Anyone know of the flexability of grades with the computing department? Any chance of a BBB entry?

Don't get down on it yet. Applications this year were down 25% on last year because of the new fees. Obviously don't get too excited either, but don't make other arrangements until you're sure.
Reply 12
Original post by walkingbeard
Don't get down on it yet. Applications this year were down 25% on last year because of the new fees. Obviously don't get too excited either, but don't make other arrangements until you're sure.

It was closer to 28-29% down, however the national average was 9% under so there's a net loss of about 20%... 1/5 less applicants is a shocker, however that doesn't mean come result day there'll be many spare places. Conversion may still be high in firmers
Reply 13
Just to throw it in there but I really didn't like the uni when I visited, it felt very elitist and the front was very modern but the rest of the buildings were horrible! Hated the feel of it and wasn't apply haha!

Reply 14
Oops *wasnt happy

Reply 15
Original post by nennybeans
Just to throw it in there but I really didn't like the uni when I visited, it felt very elitist and the front was very modern but the rest of the buildings were horrible! Hated the feel of it and wasn't apply haha!

Why did you get an elitest feel? Anything in particular that you saw or was said?

The university on its current site was built in the 60s - it's to be expected with any university built around that era. There's some worse concrete jungles out there; jsut visit Warwick, Lancaster, York etc etc. All unis around that time are a mix of old and new buildings but to be honest there's no need to care about what the buildings look like. All those 4-story blocks in the middle... you're never in there! Those buildings are academic and administrative offices. You go in them to hand your coursework in, and to speak to tutors and lecturers. The only other things in them are a few computer rooms, labs and common rooms. All lectures will take places in the lecture theatre block which is nice inside and they redo theatres each year, or in another theatre such as in the Management School or Austin Pearce at the front, or in the AC building.

Where the accommodations are is like a mini community, and you're only a few minutes walk from any from green space, trees, leafy areas, fields, ponds etc etc.

That's what universities are like sadly - if you want modern looking buildings then look at new/modern universities. But then they're not gonna be as strong a university...
Reply 16
Just the feel, the fact the accommodation was split into bands so if you couldn't afford nice accommodation you wouldn't get it, by high entry grades for the course compared to every other uni when there are hardly an applicants, just personally didn't like it! And the buildings, I'm now going to Portsmouth which is also old, but the place has such a nice feel and I prefer it. But those are just my opinions :P

Reply 17
Original post by nennybeans
Just the feel, the fact the accommodation was split into bands so if you couldn't afford nice accommodation you wouldn't get it, by high entry grades for the course compared to every other uni when there are hardly an applicants, just personally didn't like it! And the buildings, I'm now going to Portsmouth which is also old, but the place has such a nice feel and I prefer it. But those are just my opinions :P

Sorry - I had just come in from the pub so I didn't mean to come across confrontational; sorry if I did! :tongue:

Understand your points, except for the accommodation one - you chose on price range so if you want to pay for a cheaper room (standard shared facilities) then you put that as your first choice, if you want en suite you put that rent band down. Not sure what you mean other than that but fair enough about the buildings if that's what you're in to :P

What course were you looking at?
Reply 18
Original post by orionmoo
Sorry - I had just come in from the pub so I didn't mean to come across confrontational; sorry if I did! :tongue:

Understand your points, except for the accommodation one - you chose on price range so if you want to pay for a cheaper room (standard shared facilities) then you put that as your first choice, if you want en suite you put that rent band down. Not sure what you mean other than that but fair enough about the buildings if that's what you're in to :P

What course were you looking at?

Haha it's fine! :P and just how every other uni has exactly the same kinda accommodation across the board, so everyone gets the same so it's more fair, and German and translation! (obscure much :P)

I agree with nennybeans on the accommodation. The Union recently did a survey on the Uni's accommodation which showed both in figures and in comments, that students in the more expensive Band D rooms at Manor Park very rarely went to see people in lower band rooms. These people wanted more luxury, while those already in lower band accommodation wanted lower-costs accommodation. The University should be discouraging that kind class divide but providing lost-cost, high-quality accommodation across the board.

Quick Reply