The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Questions about UCLAN..? Ask away!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I've decided that UCLAN is my top choice and will need accommodation. It says on the website that you have to wait until the 11th April however I've heard that people already have rooms booked. Do I need to wait until then or can I accept my place and start sorting accommodation now?
Thank you :smile:
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by rackers93
I've decided that UCLAN is my top choice and will need accommodation. It says on the website that you have to wait until the 11th April however I've heard that people already have rooms booked. Do I need to wait until then or can I accept my place and start sorting accommodation now?

You can book rooms directly through the IQ website, i've firmed UCLan and will be waiting 'til April. :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by shezshez
You can book rooms directly through the IQ website, i've firmed UCLan and will be waiting 'til April. :smile:

Reply 43
Is it easy to find friends in the halls? like welcome parties in the accom blocks etc? or would we have to join societies?
Original post by cllio
Is it easy to find friends in the halls? like welcome parties in the accom blocks etc? or would we have to join societies?

Depends how much you get involved with in halls in the first few days! I know Kopa has a welcome party on the Friday of people moving in, but that's cause there's not much other freshers stuff going on that day, but if you're in any of the other halls I think it'd be down to yourself to go find people.

Nothing to stop you holding a welcome party in your flat and inviting others in the block to come join you though!

Societies would help you find other people with similar interests to you that may not live in your halls though...
Reply 45
Are there alot of flat parties? The only society I think I might join is the film one, can't really see that one being too outgong :tongue:
Original post by cllio
Are there alot of flat parties? The only society I think I might join is the film one, can't really see that one being too outgong :tongue:

It honestly depends how many people you know/are willing to get to know and how many parties you and flatmates/friends have.
If there's people, loud music and alcohol, it generally turns into a flat party.
Reply 47
Does anyone know if they have a tendency to place student nurses together in flats? I know some of my other uni choices do but I can't remember if UCLAN do.
Reply 48
Original post by cllio

Halls are a great place to meet friends, when I was in my first year I was allocated to IQ Kopa and I'm still good friends with a lot of my flat mates and those who were in the same block. Living in a house for my second year is a lot less social and I've ended up spending most of my time with the first years living in Whitendale! So I'm moving to Trinity for my third year :biggrin:

Sadly, smokers are at an advantage... They have it a lot easier being able to ask to borrow a lighter as a start up conversation :tongue:

As for societies I never got the guts to go, though I really wanted to join the Drama society! Then this year I got a job so I've not time. I would definitely advise it though since it gives you the chance to meet loads of people with similar interests and usually they're in the same position as you for being nervous. There's a sports and societies day during freshers which will explain everything if you decide to go!
Reply 49
Hi it's a bit late but you might be able to help. I am starting uni in september and will be based in the harrington building. I will be commuting to uni and worried about parking. I am going to apply for a permit but if i don't succeed i don't know where to park. Also when do you get your enrollment info?? Thanks in advance
Original post by loulou81
Hi it's a bit late but you might be able to help. I am starting uni in september and will be based in the harrington building. I will be commuting to uni and worried about parking. I am going to apply for a permit but if i don't succeed i don't know where to park. Also when do you get your enrollment info?? Thanks in advance

If you don't get a permit, I know a few people who park on the streets off Plungington Road and walk down to campus. I myself live on the last street before Blackpool road and it takes me 10-15 minutes to walk to Harrington, so not too bad. You might need to check out which streets are parking permit only since I think the first few are. Either way, I would think that's your best bet for Harrington.
Reply 51
Thankyou i'll have a drive down one day and have a look around. Im not familiar with preston at all. I know where the shopping is and that is about it lol
Is anyone out there studying foundation care, community & citizenship at Preston this september 2012! Be nice to ask you lots of questions, not had much info sent out to me yet! x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Im waiting for my corporate card to allow me to enrol online, once done will i get all my course info such as time tables, I need to find work that fits in with uni times ideally now! Also I would like to rent a laptop from uni, can i organise this now! Thank-you:smile:

Reply 54
Original post by timmers1177
Im waiting for my corporate card to allow me to enrol online, once done will i get all my course info such as time tables, I need to find work that fits in with uni times ideally now! Also I would like to rent a laptop from uni, can i organise this now! Thank-you:smile:

You should be able to find your student number at the top of one of your letters, from UCLan. Once you enrol you'll be able to view your timetable at http://timetable.uclan.ac.uk :smile: And as far as I know, you can only rent laptops for periods in the library- though new students might have heard something different since I'm not sure what they're doing with this new Advantage they're introducing.
thanks a lot also been looking on here to find some students studying the same class! Not having much luck, can you suggest anything maybe?:smile:

My timetables not out yet, and I remember last year I had to wait until september. Hopefully now they're used to the online system we should get them not lost after enrolling, which I know has already started.

As for the renting laptops, you could rent them for a free for use outside the library through One Stop, which is on the ground floor of the library, as far as I know, they don't have a phone number, so unless you call UCLan and ask, you'd have to go in and ask. You're allowed into the library as soon as you have your corporate card. I'm not sure how new the renting is, but I only found out about it near the end of my second year, which was only in April this year.
thanks a lot also been looking on here to find some students studying the same class! Not having much luck, can you suggest anything maybe?:smile:

You could try the 'University of Central Lancashire' page on facebook, or the 'UCLan Freshers 2012' page. There may be other courses who have module overlaps too! (joint/combined courses mainly)

Edit: yes, I'm ahead of myself, I did mean the 2012 Freshers Page xD Exhaustion from olympics working methinks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 58

If it's through One Stop Shop as Vicky says then you can click on here http://www.uclan.ac.uk/students/library/files/one_stop_catalogue.pdf and get in touch with them about it. And as for finding course mates, I'd agree with looking on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/UCLanFreshers2012 is the main page you want to check out, but a lot of people might wait until A Level results in August so you'll find more people after that.
Reply 59
Are there typically any formal events during the year, ie. freshers/Christmas ball? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending