The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6880
Just registered with www.iii.co.uk

They say it's free can anyone give advice?
Don't want to invest and end up in debt :/
Reply 6881
Original post by westarmy
Just registered with www.iii.co.uk

They say it's free can anyone give advice?
Don't want to invest and end up in debt :/

If losing the money you're intending on investing will put you in debt - don't invest. You will lose money. Only invest with disposable income, otherwise you'll see shares tanking and be forced to sell.
Reply 6882
Original post by Noble.
If losing the money you're intending on investing will put you in debt - don't invest. You will lose money. Only invest with disposable income, otherwise you'll see shares tanking and be forced to sell.

I know how to invest and what to watch out for, just confused on the website www.iii.co.uk
Are they reliable and do they charge fees?
Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon
I have made this thread a few times and it just disappears, I won't let this happen again. In this thread, fellow traders can talk and share any tip offs they have with each other.

At the moment PPA have a strong chance of rising, will probably put some money in them tomorrow morning.. However don't just listen to me, do your own research!

Any other traders?

I've always considered trading but never found the right information as to how to get into it. I know it's always best to invest in something you believe in e.g. Apple. But I don't have the first idea on where to go, how to put my money in etc. What's the most basic advice you can give for someone wanting to get into it?
Original post by RWhitmore
I've always considered trading but never found the right information as to how to get into it. I know it's always best to invest in something you believe in e.g. Apple. But I don't have the first idea on where to go, how to put my money in etc. What's the most basic advice you can give for someone wanting to get into it?

Get a virtual trading account with Bull Bearings, has the majority of Stock on there including a few from the AIMs market. You have £100,000 of virtual money to trade with, and the markets are delayed by around 15 minutes, use that to practice.
Can someone explain stocks and trading in simple terms?
Any sites/book/videos?

Here's my understanding, is it correct?

Lets say I sell cupcakes, I make and sell 10 every day, after a week there are 15 people in line, my demand is higher?
So I will sell a percentage of my company and list on the LSE?
So in exchange of some stake in the company they give me money, and with that I expand?
What causes my share prices to rise and fall?
If after another week I sell all 15 cupcakes and am making a lot of money? will that cause it to rise?
Reply 6886
Original post by rza89
gkp is booming 11% up

Without wanting to scroll through the thread whose in GKP ATM?

Ive been in since around the 200p mark early in the year

And is anybody else in Afren?
Reply 6887
I want to gain money in stocks and shares does anybody have any advice on how to begin or better yet a good course on the internet to educate myself on how to do it.. thanks :smile:
BP looks good to dive into for a long-term hold.
Rio Tinto/Xstrata due to report disappointing results on Tuesday - Possible for a short CFD.

I'm looking to get back into Barclays around 160.
Reply 6889
Original post by PoorRichBoy
BP looks good to dive into for a long-term hold.
Rio Tinto/Xstrata due to report disappointing results on Tuesday - Possible for a short CFD.

I'm looking to get back into Barclays around 160.

Its a very good bargain in the long run, but short run I wouldnt touch banking shares with a 5ft pole
Original post by H.JJJ

Its a very good bargain in the long run, but short run I wouldnt touch banking shares with a 5ft pole

I wish I had opened a long CFD on barc at about 151 about 2weeks ago and sold on Friday at 171. Assuming I had about £5k, I could've opened a £50k position and made about £6k clear after financing costs etc..
Reply 6891
Original post by PoorRichBoy
I wish I had opened a long CFD on barc at about 151 about 2weeks ago and sold on Friday at 171. Assuming I had about £5k, I could've opened a £50k position and made about £6k clear after financing costs etc..

Hindsight is always a bitch with shares. Just keep an eye out for shares and get in at next opp.
Reply 6892
Original post by JJolly
Without wanting to scroll through the thread whose in GKP ATM?

Ive been in since around the 200p mark early in the year

And is anybody else in Afren?

I've been watching it for year and a half now. when it hits 190p region, time to buy, it usually goes up to 215/220p region (providing no news comes out). THis is mostly chartist perspective but you do gain a sense of resistant and support levels.
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering, are you guys all trading stocks and shares for real? If so, how much did you originally invest and what sort of returns are you getting?

I'm interested, but I really don't think I have enough money to even start off. Also I do realise that trading shares is definitely not for the light-hearted and takes a lot of commitment and hard work, in case anyone is thinking of lecturing me.

THanks!

:smile:
Original post by Axion
Hi guys,

Just completed my first blog post [link removed on request]

It wont have everything, but it should give a pretty comprehensive background for new investors & should help you learn the ropes/about companies.

Feedback appreciated & register for email updates in the box if you like it!

Thanks, El1te

Bookmarked!
Very useful Axion. Thank you. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Haven't traded in a while. Markets looks so glum though :emo:
Reply 6896
Think GKP is making the rounds again, its about to hit support 195/200.

Potential to make a tidy 10-15% over the month I think. (Based on no adverse news)
Reply 6897
Dam ENRC
Reply 6898
Original post by Makaveli_The_Don
Haven't traded in a while. Markets looks so glum though :emo:

Original post by H.JJJ
Think GKP is making the rounds again, its about to hit support 195/200.

Potential to make a tidy 10-15% over the month I think. (Based on no adverse news)

Are you both still in her and gkp, kinda remember you as the old lot (as in the ones who were discussing shares on this thread in feb 2011-summer 2011, before I and others stopped posting alot)?
Original post by vn2009
Are you both still in her and gkp, kinda remember you as the old lot (as in the ones who were discussing shares on this thread in feb 2011-summer 2011, before I and others stopped posting alot)?

Yeah I'm still in both. HER is a bit of a nightmare

Quick Reply

Latest