The Student Room Group

EU referendum/Brexit 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Local, accountable government.

What's so magical about local government?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DorianGrayism
No, that is the point of committees. Do you think all of rich peers spend their time reading the entire bill?

Do you think the MPs do? If you want to believe it is not a chamber of scrutiny it's well within your rights to be ignorant, nothing has stopped you before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Do you think the MPs do? If you want to believe it is not a chamber of scrutiny it's well within your rights to be ignorant, nothing has stopped you before.]

Being wrong hasn't stopped you from being insulting either.

Not my issue if you think that Lords read their bills and scrutinise it properly.

MPs may not do it personally but they have people that read it for them. So you would be wrong on that as well.
Original post by Implication
What's so magical about local government?

It has a stronger claim to legitimacy in the eyes of the people it governs, and allows smaller groups to adapt rules more to their specific advantage and tastes. This is particularly desirable in a continent whose populations have wildly divergent political views.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Being wrong hasn't stopped you from being insulting either.

Not my issue if you think that Lords read their bills and scrutinise it properly.

MPs may not do it personally but they have people that read it for them. So you would be wrong on that as well.

So if somebody does it for the MPs it's fine, but for the lords it isn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
So if somebody does it for the MPs it's fine, but for the lords it isn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just said that they don't. You think the Lords hire someone to read bills for them?

Anyway, even that was the case, there is no reason for them scrutinize anything that is passed by the elected House of commons.
I’ve made a petition will you sign it?

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/146588/sponsors/JcHmmRJjPGXFd6IGBc

My petition:

'individual' EU membership for UK citizens Visa free, work and study.

There is a need for people, especially the young, to be able to move freely for travel and broaden their horizons, education, employment.

The recent referendum was a protest about the country not providing the infrastructure and services for it's people before opening the doors to others. The referendum was advisory and not legally binding, and no one, not even the leave party expected the outcome. Individual membership will provide an imcome to the EU, allow free movement without additional paperwork and checks. It is not for large groups to abuse a country's system, but to build friendships and bridges. References available
Original post by TimmonaPortella
It has a stronger claim to legitimacy in the eyes of the people it governs, and allows smaller groups to adapt rules more to their specific advantage and tastes. This is particularly desirable in a continent whose populations have wildly divergent political views.

The population of my house has wildly divergent political views. That's a problem with democracy in principle, not with its scale!

I can appreciate that there are advantages to some devolution of some powers, but some legislation really should be as universal as it can be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 748
Original post by bigoliver
Can everyone please sign and share my petition...

My petition unlimited repeat referendums on leaving the EU, until finally we vote to remain.

Lets keep holding referendums until finally we vote to remain in the EU then stop.Click this link to sign the petition:

Can everyone please sign and share my petition...

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/140279/sponsors/Ajr5tBqLEYytTi9kP0pC

How European of you. Democracy is only when fits my wishes.
Not sure where else to put this. I found an (English language) article which I liked in Spiegel Online on the motivations behind the Brexit vote.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/brexit-is-merkel-to-blame-a-1100303.html

[...]

Along with the outrage over the election result, there's a conspicuous lack of desire to address the root reasons for the election victory. Like the fact that one of the world's oldest democracies may have lost faith in the European institutions because democracy is something its people hold near and dear. It's a thought that is immediately banished. Instead we hear about how reckless David Cameron was in calling for a referendum. The argument, put forth in numerous versions, holds that you cannot hold a popular referendum on something as complicated as EU membership.

It's astonishing how many commentators have parroted that line, seemingly unconscious of what it says about their own understanding of democracy. What it really means is this: Elections can only be good if the results correspond with the desires of the educated. Or as Micky Beisenherz, a columnist for the German weekly Stern, put it: "Democracy is great thing. The only dumb thing about it is that stupid are allowed to participate."

[...]

The votes had barely been counted before talk began that Europe has to establish deeper ties as an answer to the British referendum. But "deepen" is code for transferring further power to Brussels. Sigmar Gabriel, the chairman of the center-left Social Democratic Party, which shares power in Merkel's coalition government, presented a plan for a "joint growth offensive," an "economic Schengen," as he called it. It means no less than stripping governments of control of even larger parts of their budgets, only to have the financial resources that have been commandeered then redistributed where Brussels sees the need. It would take a very special relationship to reality to read in the British vote a mandate to further weaken national parliaments.
A referendum is advisory, ar most influential. No repeats needed. Until article 50.... the ukmis in the eu with full membership, and even then there is no precedent.
Original post by looseseal
I've just found out that the place that Farage held his Brexit party is a place staffed almost exclusively with EU nationals.

EU nationals who would've almost certainly not had the right to come here under the non-EU immigration points based system we currently have in place.

In fact, I know someone working there quite personally. I think you can guess how they felt while the Leave campaign celebrations were going on.

I really do hope an exemption gets put in place for London with respect to the free movement of labour as it could literally cripple the city if people from the EU had to gain expensive and complex visas just to work here.

His wife is German
Reply 752
Anyone listen to Juncker's State of the Union address?

My favourite bit ...

"Never before have I seen national governments so weakened by the forces of populism and paralysed by the risk of defeat in the next elections."

Maybe the speech came just after lunch. :giggle:
Reply 753
Hi! I've written a blog post about the referendum, and relating what has happened and what is going to happen to an Economic theory called creative destruction. If you're interested, I would love to hear your opinions!!

https://socialdilemmasblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/on-creative-destruction-and-the-eu-referendum/
I want to make a new thread that asks what people believe should be included in the article 50 bill and what should be amended about it. Not sure if this already exists or if this is phrased properly now that the bill has been passed and negotiations are yet to occur. Please could someone advise me if I am using the correct bill and phrasing and if a thread on this topic/discussion already exists.

Thanks
Original post by new1234
I want to make a new thread that asks what people believe should be included in the article 50 bill and what should be amended about it. Not sure if this already exists or if this is phrased properly now that the bill has been passed and negotiations are yet to occur. Please could someone advise me if I am using the correct bill and phrasing and if a thread on this topic/discussion already exists.

Thanks

It's a difficult question. Article 50 has been okayed, so I suppose the negotiations are going to take place between our government and the EU bureaucrats (wonderful people). I just hope we don't have to pay the awful divorce fees... And we don't know if the kids are living with Mammy or Daddy!
Original post by Iainmedic94
It's a difficult question. Article 50 has been okayed, so I suppose the negotiations are going to take place between our government and the EU bureaucrats (wonderful people). I just hope we don't have to pay the awful divorce fees... And we don't know if the kids are living with Mammy or Daddy!

Very true! I guess thats what everyone hopes for! Personally I would like something that ensures/protects the future generation(like the well being of future generations act currently in place in Wales) seeing as the older generation voted for the younger generations future during the EU referendum but that is probably impossible to ensure.
Original post by new1234
Very true! I guess thats what everyone hopes for! Personally I would like something that ensures/protects the future generation(like the well being of future generations act currently in place in Wales) seeing as the older generation voted for the younger generations future during the EU referendum but that is probably impossible to ensure.

Thats the problem with some Remainers (Mainly students who live on student finance, with Mum and Dad, and have never experienced what the average working class go through). They think that Brexit will ruin the lives of young people and the working class.
Little do they realise that the lives of young people and the working class have already been ruined by our membership of the European Union. It is getting more difficult to secure a job than ever before. I've been to a job agency in Birmingham which had 0 vacancies. When they do have vacancies, its kind of like a first come first serve basis. Lack of global free trade also stops our country from creating job opportunities for young men and women who have not been to Uni.
Original post by Naveed-7
Thats the problem with some Remainers (Mainly students who live on student finance, with Mum and Dad, and have never experienced what the average working class go through). They think that Brexit will ruin the lives of young people and the working class.
Little do they realise that the lives of young people and the working class have already been ruined by our membership of the European Union. It is getting more difficult to secure a job than ever before. I've been to a job agency in Birmingham which had 0 vacancies. When they do have vacancies, its kind of like a first come first serve basis. Lack of global free trade also stops our country from creating job opportunities for young men and women who have not been to Uni.

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 18.43.03.jpg

Unemployment is at a 10 year low.
Original post by Doonesbury
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 18.43.03.jpg

Unemployment is at a 10 year low.

That graph shows lower unemployment but it doesn't show the fact that most of the people who are employed are working difficult jobs, and have low wages which aren't enough to provide high quality standard of living.
My point is that decent jobs which provide an opportunity for a worker to have a quality standard of living, a house, a good car, high wages, a good work routine, etc are getting more difficult to get. There's less opportunities like this for young men and women. Standard of living is also important, but has been affected due to open door immigration.

I believe controlling migration and being able to free trade with the rest of the world will help create such opportunities.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending