The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Question and Answers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by T3ffee
I'll be starting my Mechanical Engineering degree at Lancaster University this October and have a few questions.

- As I did not study A-Level Maths I want to find out what Maths Modules I will be studying in my first year so I can prepare over the summer
- Do Mechanical Engineering students get the chance to take Placement/Internship oppurtunities in their second/third year
- When do we get our accommodation sorted out and what is the minimum amount of time we can rent out the accommodation for or do we have to rent it out for the whole year

Thanks in advance.

In your first year, you will take a module on 'Introductory Engineering Mathematics', whereby you will learn how to apply mathematics to real-world problems. It introduces you to a range of mathematic techniques that could directly apply to engineering problems. Specific topics will include vectors, indices and logarithms, as well as complex numbers, which will be put to use in engineering practicals and projects.

In terms of internships or placement opportunities, these cannot be taken as standard throughout your second or third year, so it may be best to do some volunteering or try for an internship over one of your summer holidays.

For information on Undergraduate Accommodation, please contact our team at [email protected] or on +44 (0)1524 593554.

Jamie Graney | Lancaster University
E: [email protected]
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hello! I have an offer for BA Psychology and I have a question about the degree classification. I read (and hopefully understood correctly) that the choice as to whether we graduate with a BA or a BSc is made only at the beginning of our final year. Is that so? If yes, how does it work? Does it affect the course content in any way, or the optional modules we can choose in our final year?
Hello! I was just wondering what is your usual conditional offer for a student from Bulgaria interested in the business science course? I could not find sun information on your site. Thank you in advance.
Original post by InternationalXX
Hello! I have an offer for BA Psychology and I have a question about the degree classification. I read (and hopefully understood correctly) that the choice as to whether we graduate with a BA or a BSc is made only at the beginning of our final year. Is that so? If yes, how does it work? Does it affect the course content in any way, or the optional modules we can choose in our final year?

The coursework is exactly the same for BA and BSc. There aren't separate modules or classes for each. The only difference is the letters BA or BSc. Entry requirements are also the same regardless of the classification.

We offer both classifications to encourage applicants from both arts and sciences - so arts people won't think they need science subjects.

We do not have a specific time when they have to change, as long as it is done by the beginning of term 3 in year 3 or before they apply for their graduation tickets. In fact, the department will usually email the final year BAs to find out if they want to change.

Please note that this only applies to the single honours degrees. Our combined degrees are all only BA.

Original post by Islanzadi
Hello! I was just wondering what is your usual conditional offer for a student from Bulgaria interested in the business science course? I could not find sun information on your site. Thank you in advance.

Lancaster University unfortunately does not offer a Business Science course. However, if you were interested in Business Studies, the entry criteria can be found here.

Original post by T3ffee
I'll be starting my Mechanical Engineering degree at Lancaster University this October and have a few questions.

- As I did not study A-Level Maths I want to find out what Maths Modules I will be studying in my first year so I can prepare over the summer
- Do Mechanical Engineering students get the chance to take Placement/Internship oppurtunities in their second/third year
- When do we get our accommodation sorted out and what is the minimum amount of time we can rent out the accommodation for or do we have to rent it out for the whole year

Thanks in advance.

Hi i am also going to study engineering at Lancaster (hopefully) this October. Maybe I will see you there!
Reply 126
Original post by anon1700
Hi i am also going to study engineering at Lancaster (hopefully) this October. Maybe I will see you there!

If all goes well! What engineering did you apply for?
Hey I put Lancaster as my insurance choice about a month ago. Will I be contacted about accomodation before results day? & if not when can we get it sorted? Is it most likely we will have to find a house in town rather than be allocated uni accomodation?
Original post by T3ffee
If all goes well! What engineering did you apply for?

Yeah, i am so nervous about exams. Nuclear engineering.
Original post by NatalieUK
Hey I put Lancaster as my insurance choice about a month ago. Will I be contacted about accomodation before results day? & if not when can we get it sorted? Is it most likely we will have to find a house in town rather than be allocated uni accomodation?

For queries about accommodation, please contact our dedicated team via the details found below:

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: +44 (0)1524 594910

Hi, is there a Lancaster freshers Facebook group 16/17 ? If their is please could you possibly send me the link as I can't seem to find it
Original post by Breadcrumss
Hi, is there a Lancaster freshers Facebook group 16/17 ? If their is please could you possibly send me the link as I can't seem to find it

This seems to be the correct link for the Facebook group, although it looks like you will need to request to be added.

Original post by T3ffee

Thanks in advance.

How did you get in without A-level maths? what subjects did you take?
Reply 133
Hi-

I have a conditional offer to study Natural Sciences.

I have a few questions:

1) I am unsure as to how the college system works. I am deciding between Grizedale and Cartmel accommodation for my first year however I know that in the years after I want to be in Grizedale townhouses. Does this mean I have to be in Grizedale accommodation throughout my time at Lancaster or do you switch between different college accommodation but remain a part of the same college?

2) How many students in total are in catered accommodation?

3) How many students are a part of the Student Refuel Dining Scheme?

4) When applying for second or third year accommodation, I am hoping to apply for Grizedale townhouses as I stated earlier. Can you apply to live with certain people i.e. people you have made friends with in previous years or is it randomly allocated even in your later years of applying?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by elvw
Hi-

I have a conditional offer to study Natural Sciences.

I have a few questions:

1) I am unsure as to how the college system works. I am deciding between Grizedale and Cartmel accommodation for my first year however I know that in the years after I want to be in Grizedale townhouses. Does this mean I have to be in Grizedale accommodation throughout my time at Lancaster or do you switch between different college accommodation but remain a part of the same college?

2) How many students in total are in catered accommodation?

3) How many students are a part of the Student Refuel Dining Scheme?

4) When applying for second or third year accommodation, I am hoping to apply for Grizedale townhouses as I stated earlier. Can you apply to live with certain people i.e. people you have made friends with in previous years or is it randomly allocated even in your later years of applying?

Thanks

Please find below the contact details for Grizedale College and our dedicated Accommodation Team, who should be able to assist you with your enquiry:

Grizedale College

Telephone: +44 (0)1524 592631

Accommodation Team

Reply 135
Hi Lancaster,

I'm about to apply for accommodation and I noticed that accommodation was available for partners of students coming to the university. It feels like a stupid question, but does your partner also have to be a student of Lancaster university or is it for those wishing to live with their partners on campus?
Many thanks
Original post by STEMfit
Hi Lancaster,

I'm about to apply for accommodation and I noticed that accommodation was available for partners of students coming to the university. It feels like a stupid question, but does your partner also have to be a student of Lancaster university or is it for those wishing to live with their partners on campus?
Many thanks

For accommodation queries, please contact our dedicated Accommodation team, who should be able to assist you with this.

Accommodation Team

Reply 137
Hi, regarding bursaries and scholarships, do we get paid outright or through installments throughout the year?
Original post by Synteii
Hi, regarding bursaries and scholarships, do we get paid outright or through installments throughout the year?

Scholarships and bursaries will be paid to you outright, around the middle of February that year.

I am set to start mechanical engineering in Lancaster but i'm a bit confused about what college to join.Could you please recommend a college which is closest to the engineering department/ which most engineering students choose?
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest