The Student Room Group

Magdalen Oxford gets rejection letter from student

A friend of mine has decided, after interview, to withdraw her application to read Law at Oxford. Here's the rejection letter she sent to the university:

Scroll to see replies

LOL
Reply 2
Your friend is a moron, and will regret that in years to come.
Reply 3
She really isn't and she really won't :smile:
why, oh why, would someone do that in their right mind ?!
Reply 5
I like that! :biggrin:
LEGEND! Hope she doesn't regret it, but still pretty amazing :')
Original post by lk2011
That's just arrogant.

To be honest, if I was an Oxford law applicant who had been denied an interview and felt disappointed I would find this really offensive- your friend has denied someone who genuinely wanted to go there their chance to show their potential through wasting an interview slot and the university's time.

You're assuming that she had made up her mind previously to the interview.
Reply 8
If an applicant has been denied an interview then it will be based on their grades/LNAT scores, not on my friend getting an interview. Withdrawing her application means that any offer that may have been made to her could now go to somebody else, so she's not depriving anybody of a place. You can climb down from your moral high horse now :smile:
I think it's a little rude in parts, but quite funny overall.
Reply 10
"it's rude to torture guests" :lol:
Reply 11
Original post by TurboCretin
For all you know she could have received an offer from Cambridge.

You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge in the same year can you?

But even though it is a shame, the letter was still pure class!
Original post by Solen.132
You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge in the same year can you?

But even though it is a shame, the letter was still pure class!

That only applies to undergraduate degrees. If you read closely, she was applying for an LLM. Though now I mention it, that raises certain questions in that Oxford don't offer one.
Reply 13
She's going for an undergraduate degree. The LLM line I think is meant to be a point about how they may have a chance at tempting her if they improve themselves.
Original post by lk2011
You can't apply to both.

See above.

I see your second point, but if she genuinely didn't like the place having been interviewed, I think it's valid enough to want to go elsewhere. On the basis that not many people find themselves in that position with regards to Oxford, I'm glad she took the opportunity to satirise the Oxford rejection letter.
Original post by PhateGBR
She's going for an undergraduate degree. The LLM line I think is meant to be a point about how they may have a chance at tempting her if they improve themselves.

Ok, that makes sense. The 're-applicant' thing is what confused me then, as they'd just be 'applicants'.
That's hilarious. Some people need to realise that Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all of the academic world; their prestige precedes them.

I also agree with the point made about formal interviews pandering to the middle class, but then that's the cultural deprivation argument all over again.
An interesting approach, though not one that will have any impact on the intended recipients. Nevertheless, she sounds like she will be much happier in the setting she has chosen. Good to see that some young, capable people have realised that oxbridge is not always all it's cracked up to be.
Bit of 'cutting your nose off to spite your face' here? There is a *huge* difference between Oxford and Cambridge and the 3rd best University for law. If she is as smart as you claim, she is missing out on a great education to make some childish point about snobbery. If she decides in future to work at the commercial bar, she might be worried by the fact that in the past few years not a single Magic Circle set of chambers took a non-Oxbridge pupil, so she has as good as written off that option.

And Oxford don't even offer an LLM so I doubt they care that they are unlikely to succeed in attracting her application. The Oxford BCL is the best Masters level Law course in the World, but hey, you have to sit in fancy buildings to do it so better off at University of East London, right?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Points about snobbery are childish? That's a bit of a snobby thing to say, isn't it?

Not everybody is solely interested in their post-graduate career prospects, or in how easy it will be to walk into certain professions. As has already been said, Oxbridge is not the be-all and end-all and you're daft if you think otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest