So who else is going for Birmingham??

Went to the open day and absolutely loved it :biggrin:

Wont lie, I'm a tad over-excited! :tongue:

EDIT: Negs.. reallyy?? :lolwut:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Best of luck guys.

I'm only a pre-fresher yet but Birmingham is a fantastic school. The MedSoc is one of, if not the, best Medsoc in the country! The campus is jaw-dropping gorgeous, the accomodation is sexy (if a little expensive!) and I can't wait!

If anyone want to drop me a PM, i'm happy to answer any questions about the application process or Birmingham. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Best of luck to all those applying next year !! I hope you do awesome and please remember to do well in your A Level! (unless you want to be me of course :P )

Reasons to apply to Birmingham:
-awesome city with great nightlife and shopping
-good medical school, good student life with MedSoc and the campus is soo pretty!

Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 3
I'm happy to answer any Q's as well! Good Luck!
Reply 4
Original post by gozatron
Best of luck guys.

I'm only a pre-fresher yet but Birmingham is a fantastic school. The MedSoc is one of, if not the, best Medsoc in the country! The campus is jaw-dropping gorgeous, the accomodation is sexy (if a little expensive!) and I can't wait!

If anyone want to drop me a PM, i'm happy to answer any questions about the application process or Birmingham. :biggrin:

For 2012 entry, Birmingham want 'strong' extra curriculars, was wondering what EC's you did and what they mean by strong? I only play cricket (just a team in school) and that's really it :/
Reply 5
Original post by Jules65
I'm happy to answer any Q's as well! Good Luck!

same Q as above :tongue:
Was wondering what EC's you did and put on your PS? I only play cricket (just a team in school) and that's really it :/
Reply 6
Original post by Cleoleo

Original post by Cleoleo
For 2012 entry, Birmingham want 'strong' extra curriculars, was wondering what EC's you did and what they mean by strong? I only play cricket (just a team in school) and that's really it :/

They're not looking for anything "National" standard or particularly relevant to medicine, just make sure you appear a well rounded person.

For my EC's: I played Gaelic Football to a county standard (this was discussed throughly in my interview!), I helped with improving lower years reading ability in learning support, i taught some lower year biology classes/helped out in lessons, rugby, cricket, football just in school/outside school. Thats all that i mentioned on my PS :biggrin:
Reply 7
They're not looking for anything "National" standard or particularly relevant to medicine, just make sure you appear a well rounded person.

For my EC's: I played Gaelic Football to a county standard (this was discussed throughly in my interview!), I helped with improving lower years reading ability in learning support, i taught some lower year biology classes/helped out in lessons, rugby, cricket, football just in school/outside school. Thats all that i mentioned on my PS :biggrin:

ahh you're Irisih! Woww!

Coool, solid EC's there ! The above in bold, I thought this would be more volunteering than EC's maybe?
Reply 8
Original post by Cleoleo

Original post by Cleoleo
ahh you're Irisih! Woww!

Coool, solid EC's there ! The above in bold, I thought this would be more volunteering than EC's maybe?

I would have said volunteering comes under EC's. :dontknow:

I classed things in my PS as either "Work experience" or "Extra curriculars". The work experience section was for anything Medical/caring such as my GP placement and helping children with disabilities, then EC's were everything else i did non-academically. While we're on the subject, quality is better than quantity for EC's. There was stuff like DofE, Maths Challenges and Crest awards i didn't bother mentioning in my PS.
Reply 9
I would have said volunteering comes under EC's. :dontknow:

I classed things in my PS as either "Work experience" or "Extra curriculars". The work experience section was for anything Medical/caring such as my GP placement and helping children with disabilities, then EC's were everything else i did non-academically. While we're on the subject, quality is better than quantity for EC's. There was stuff like DofE, Maths Challenges and Crest awards i didn't bother mentioning in my PS.

Ahh right, kk. Yeah struggling to keep to the word limit so will need to mention the most relevant ones.
Really? You didn't mention your DofE? How comes?
Reply 10
Original post by Cleoleo

Original post by Cleoleo
Ahh right, kk. Yeah struggling to keep to the word limit so will need to mention the most relevant ones.
Really? You didn't mention your DofE? How comes?

I've heard that DofE is pretty common these days, i thought i'd try a bit more originality and it must have worked!
Reply 11
Out of interest, what made you lot choose Birmingham?
Reply 12
I've heard that DofE is pretty common these days, i thought i'd try a bit more originality and it must have worked!

Ahhh cool, + congrats! From friends who go there, they absolutely love it so the next 5 years should be awesome :smile:

Got a Q, I've posted it elsewhere on the Medicine forum but thought you'd know the answer...

When Birmingham say 8 A*, do you count short course subjects as 1 GCSE or 1/2?
So ... say I got...
5A* (LC) and 4A* (SC)
that makes 9 A*... but since SC is 1/2 a GCSE, would it really be 7A* and hence this applicant would be rejected from Birmingham ?
Reply 13
Original post by Cleoleo

Original post by Cleoleo
Ahhh cool, + congrats! From friends who go there, they absolutely love it so the next 5 years should be awesome :smile:

Got a Q, I've posted it elsewhere on the Medicine forum but thought you'd know the answer...

When Birmingham say 8 A*, do you count short course subjects as 1 GCSE or 1/2?
So ... say I got...
5A* (LC) and 4A* (SC)
that makes 9 A*... but since SC is 1/2 a GCSE, would it really be 7A* and hence this applicant would be rejected from Birmingham ?

You'd be correct,shortcourses count as 0.5 of a GCSE.

I can wait! :woo:
Reply 14
You'd be correct,shortcourses count as 0.5 of a GCSE.

I can wait! :woo:

Coool, that's what I thought! Yet I know some people who are prepared to take the risk... their loss I guess.
You mean can't wait :tongue:
Reply 15
Is there any way of doing dissection at Bham? And how far away are the clinical placements/.
Reply 16
Original post by Ganky
Is there any way of doing dissection at Bham? And how far away are the clinical placements/.

Birmingham does prosection not dissection, although I don't see it a major loss, it is still very useful.
Clinical placements vary in distance, but they try to organise it so your average distance is roughly equal to everyone elses, over the 5 years.
Reply 17
Original post by ManicJM

Original post by ManicJM
Birmingham does prosection not dissection, although I don't see it a major loss, it is still very useful.
Clinical placements vary in distance, but they try to organise it so your average distance is roughly equal to everyone elses, over the 5 years.

Just out of interest is Birmingham strictly prosection? Ie) the demonstrator would never occasionally pick someone out to do a bit of dissection?

This is gonna sound daft, but is Gaelic football rugby with a round ball?

:colondollar:
Reply 19
Original post by NapoleonDynamite

Original post by NapoleonDynamite
This is gonna sound daft, but is Gaelic football rugby with a round ball?

:colondollar:

Erm i suppose you could say its a mix of Rugby, Football and Basketball :p:

Quick Reply

Latest