The Student Room Group

Biggest fear when starting uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MeltyChocolate

Original post by MeltyChocolate
Feeling old compared to the rest of the freshers. I'll only be 20 so not that old, but I've spent 2 years living on my own with a full time job so a bit scared I won't find myself having enough in common with my peers. :s

I know people in your situation, I think most of my friends are 20+ and have spent time on their own or working full time and you can't even tell the difference. I think the average student age is actually meant to be 21 (although I have no source) so you're never alone in being a couple of years above 18. Genuinely nothing to worry about :smile:
Original post by dirtyoldriver
Me and my boyfriend ended up on the same course - we met doing work experience for our applications when we were just starting to apply to places and the uni we both got into is the best department in europe. Basically neither of us wanted to go to somewhere second rate for the sake of being separate (as we're pretty aware doing the same-uni thing isn't ideal), but my mum thought that we'd basically isolate ourselves by being a couple and nobody would really talk to us/get close to us as a result because they'd feel like we had each other already. Panic ensued, I had absolutely zero hope or confidence when I left for uni.

Anyway, I went and it ended up being absolutely fine. There are drawbacks and if we break up obviously it will be rubbish but so far I've proved her wrong. It's annoying though people assuming that we're there together because we were all desperate and didn't want to be apart when it was actually the best decision for our education.

Oh, okay! I had gotten very curious, haha...
Reply 42
You James. Leaving you.
Reply 43
Spending all my money on alcohol.
Reply 44
I'm going to be 26, second time at uni, but first time in student accommodation. Hopefully it will be okay!! :frown:
Well my main concerns are:

- Not being able to do things without my parents
- Not fitting into a social 'group' (so in the second year I would not have anyone to live with in a house)
- Finding the workload too much/too hard
Reply 46
About the non-essay/exam graded parts of the course - in other words, having to speak out in tutorials. I was never particularly outspoken, and I thought this would be detrimental to my grade.
Since I started, I've realise that was stupid and have gotten over it.
Probably financial stuff.
Reply 48
that Im too old for halls. i will be 23 by the time i start uni and moving into student accommodation... I dont want to be the old past it one with all the young hip teenagers!
not getting into my firm
consequently not getting student accommodation at my insurance and ending up in a house with people i dont know in a city i dont know hours away from family and people i do know.

its a vicious uni circle :L
I start in September too and worry I'll have chosen the wrong uni and want to change, or have no friends.
Reply 51
(When you're going to a university that's renowned for being a highly academic university, which doesn't generally mean it's a good 'all-round university') Being surrounded by foreign (I've heard they're extremely rude and stick within their own ethnic groups) introverts who will never want to go out into clubs and will go to bed extremely early when you're just as naturally talented academically and you put enough work in as them, but you feel the need to go to the maximum when it comes to putting time aside for a social life.
Reply 52
Original post by marcusmerehay
When I first started I was incredibly introverted and was worried everyone would get on with things and ignore me.

But my housemates did their best to include me in Freshers' fortnight and I've never looked back since.

It sounds difficult for most, but my motto for Uni life is 'get involved'.

Contrary to what some forumites may think.......... I am (or was , or can be) very introverted. But I am taking the "Get Involved" approach in every aspect of my life....... from Cadets to College and even my Voluntary Work.

Feels much better :biggrin: :crazy:
Reply 53
Being homesick and not being able to get a bus or train home because I'll be in England and my family in Northern Ireland, not making any friends, and I'm kinda worried incase my dog dies while I'm away because she's old. ><
Reply 54
Getting lost...constantly
Reply 55
I had taken a couple of gap years before and also in the past always found it difficult to make friends. But not in a being withdrawn and introverted sense, rather that it usually takes me much longer than other people to get to know people and I think I make fewer friends but stronger connections, rather than a big group of loosely knit friends. So my worry was getting left behind in the "befriending people" process in the first couple of weeks.. I seem to have gotten through that - not the most friends in uni but definitely enough to be happy with :-)
everyone needs to man up, everyone there will be in exactly the same position
Not making any friends, running out of money and not being able to see my family and friends as much.
Reply 58
I'm not living in the halls so i'm pretty worried i won't make friends/be left out because of it :/ do you have to be in the dorms to go to freshers or just basically be there all the time then go home at night? I'm really looking forward to the whole freshers thing but im worried i'll miss out on loads of the experience?Anyone? Plus do you think in september there'll be less people living in because of the costs etc.?
Reply 59
Original post by Sir Fox
Not making any friends because I literally hate clubbing and getting drunk. I know there are many people like me, but normally you get to know most people in freshers' week and this is supposed to be all about getting drunk and partying until the morning ... :frown:

Please believe me when I say this but you will be perfectly fine!! I'm in my first year and when I started in September I was petrified because I actually don't drink at all. You are guaranteed to find at least one person in your flat/floor who doesn't want to stay out late as well so you always have someone to come back with. During freshers week I went out clubbing, only stayed out for an hour. And now I go along to pre-drinks but just go back to my room when they go out. They're fine with it, I'm fine with it and we have good fun together. We do a movie night every week and once a month or so we have "family meals" where my whole floor gets together and each flat brings food. Clubbing and drinking is NOT the only way to make friends at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest