The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sgeorge11
Hey, thinking of applying to Aberdeen. How much do the put emphasis on GCSEs, I had 5A* 5A and C (english Lang). I did read some reviews and posts that they do not have much affect on GCSE, but i fear that my eng lang will pull my grades down. What if I had a good PS and I am have applied for a lot of work xp and voluntary. currently in year 12 btw.:smile:

what was the negative for?:mad:
Reply 1181
Original post by HeatherM
I know, i'd love to know whats happening :frown: Hope So ! :biggrin:
I know- which special features is it that catch your attention?
Aha, Aberdeen's the closest medical school to me. It's only like, two and a half hours travelling!
I applied to Dundee, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinburgh for Medicine. And Edinburgh again for Neuroscience. :smile:
You?

I love the fact there's loads of SSCs and Remote/Rural Option too!

I applied everywhere in Scotland apart from Glasgow and didn't do a backup! Really? Aberdeen is furthest from me
Original post by Jelton

I applied everywhere in Scotland apart from Glasgow and didn't do a backup! Really? Aberdeen is furthest from me

Can I just point out that everywhere has SSCs - they may call them something different, but it's a GMC requirement to be able to choose what you do for part of your degree, and they set what proportion of the course that should be.
Reply 1183
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Can I just point out that everywhere has SSCs - they may call them something different, but it's a GMC requirement to be able to choose what you do for part of your degree, and they set what proportion of the course that should be.

yes but I was talking about the quantity of SSCs offered by Aberdeen, not the fact they offer SSCs. For example, comparing St Andrews to Aberdeen, St Andrews has only one honours-level SSC in Y3, whereas Aberdeen offers SSCs every year.
Original post by Jelton
yes but I was talking about the quantity of SSCs offered by Aberdeen, not the fact they offer SSCs. For example, comparing St Andrews to Aberdeen, St Andrews has only one honours-level SSC in Y3, whereas Aberdeen offers SSCs every year.

The St Andrews students enter Aberdeen in Year 3, so if you want to compare the two you can only really compare St A to year 1 & 2 at Aberdeen, in which you'll do 2 SSC's, of 4 weeks each. The 3rd year SSC/project at St A's is a semester long.
Reply 1185
Original post by Jelton

I've lived all of my life except 3 years in Inverness or further North, so the Remote and Rural sounds pretty perfect for me too! :smile: But because it's homey for me, and a change for you! :L ...Plus my parents are close enough that i could just let them do my washing for the minimum 5 weeks i'd spend in Inverness anyway :P
And the teachers are (i think all) doctors. I thought that was a pretty special for Aberdeen. :smile:
Plus my dad had a heart condition called Wolff Parkinson Whyte, and his operation was in Aberdeen last year, so for some sappy family reason and because their cardiology unit's a really good one and from what i saw doing WE in Raigmore in Cardiology it's a really interesting specialty too, it would be really cool to start from there!

No backup would probably have been better for me- i can't see myself doing it :s-smilie:
I'd rather take a year out tbh.

How has your application gone so far?
Reply 1186
Original post by Becca-Sarah
The St Andrews students enter Aberdeen in Year 3, so if you want to compare the two you can only really compare St A to year 1 & 2 at Aberdeen, in which you'll do 2 SSC's, of 4 weeks each. The 3rd year SSC/project at St A's is a semester long.

Yes I know.. Even then, there's still only one at St Andrews compared with Aberdeen. I appreciate your input however I don't see how I can be wrong in saying that Aberdeen offers more SSCs when compared with St Andrews? - even if you only compare Y1 and Y2 of Aberdeen to the full St A course...
Original post by Jelton
Yes I know.. Even then, there's still only one at St Andrews compared with Aberdeen. I appreciate your input however I don't see how I can be wrong in saying that Aberdeen offers more SSCs when compared with St Andrews? - even if you only compare Y1 and Y2 of Aberdeen to the full St A course...

She means total time spent doing SSC's as a proportion of the course. In which case, one could legitimately argue that St Andrews students spend equal or more time doing SSC's when compared to Aberdeen. Of course, you perhaps get a little more variety if you do two separate smaller SSC's in Aberdeen.
Reply 1188
I've lived all of my life except 3 years in Inverness or further North, so the Remote and Rural sounds pretty perfect for me too! :smile: But because it's homey for me, and a change for you! :L ...Plus my parents are close enough that i could just let them do my washing for the minimum 5 weeks i'd spend in Inverness anyway :P
And the teachers are (i think all) doctors. I thought that was a pretty special for Aberdeen. :smile:
Plus my dad had a heart condition called Wolff Parkinson Whyte, and his operation was in Aberdeen last year, so for some sappy family reason and because their cardiology unit's a really good one and from what i saw doing WE in Raigmore in Cardiology it's a really interesting specialty too, it would be really cool to start from there!

No backup would probably have been better for me- i can't see myself doing it :s-smilie:
I'd rather take a year out tbh.

How has your application gone so far?

Yeah, a complete change for me as I've grown up in Glasgow, so would be like a different world to live somewhere like that for part of my studies and I think I'd enjoy the experience :smile: haha, that sounds so tempting, I would totally do that if I'd applied to Glasgow, just send my washing home on the train for my mum to pick up! lol

That's definitely a plus as well, really useful!

It's nice that you also have a personal reason for Aberdeen too, and that you in some way already know it and have experience in their hospitals. The first time I had been to Aberdeen was the Open Day but still fell in love with it!

I was on UCAS about 20mins before the 15th Jan deadline thinking "should I add a 5th choice? should I not?!" but I'm glad I didn't as I know definitely I wouldn't have done it as my heart's in medicine and only medicine! I don't want to take a year out but if I have to I'd much rather to.

It's gone okay so far, nothing in from Edinburgh yet, and I've had an interview in Aberdeen and Dundee and a St Andrews interview in the next few weeks! How about you? :smile:
Reply 1189
Original post by Caponester
She means total time spent doing SSC's as a proportion of the course. In which case, one could legitimately argue that St Andrews students spend equal or more time doing SSC's when compared to Aberdeen. Of course, you perhaps get a little more variety if you do two separate smaller SSC's in Aberdeen.

ahh okay, however I was referring to the amount they offer, not the time they spend on it.
Reply 1190
Original post by Jelton
Yeah, a complete change for me as I've grown up in Glasgow, so would be like a different world to live somewhere like that for part of my studies and I think I'd enjoy the experience :smile: haha, that sounds so tempting, I would totally do that if I'd applied to Glasgow, just send my washing home on the train for my mum to pick up! lol

That's definitely a plus as well, really useful!

It's nice that you also have a personal reason for Aberdeen too, and that you in some way already know it and have experience in their hospitals. The first time I had been to Aberdeen was the Open Day but still fell in love with it!

I was on UCAS about 20mins before the 15th Jan deadline thinking "should I add a 5th choice? should I not?!" but I'm glad I didn't as I know definitely I wouldn't have done it as my heart's in medicine and only medicine! I don't want to take a year out but if I have to I'd much rather to.

It's gone okay so far, nothing in from Edinburgh yet, and I've had an interview in Aberdeen and Dundee and a St Andrews interview in the next few weeks! How about you? :smile:

A much smaller city might be nice for you :smile:
I have every intention of sending it home of i end up in Aberdeen, because i'll be a 10 minute drive away for at least 5 weeks. :P

I know it's a silly reason as well, but the hospital's warm. It's like, cosy, as opposed to a chilly unwelcoming hospital :L

I know, the only actual offer i have and it's getting rejected. Oops. :P

I have an unconditional for my back-up :frown:

Haven't heard from Edinburgh (med) yet, had interviews at Aberdeen and Glasgow and was rejected outright from Dundee :smile:

I am so fed up of waiting though. i would love to know now. :frown:
Reply 1191
Original post by Jelton

Also, we have now completely digressed from the point of this thread...

Sorry guys!!! xx
For some reason i've had it in my head from the start that offers will come out week beginning the 12th March. So just over 2 weeks to wait :smile:

I think :smile:
Reply 1193
A much smaller city might be nice for you :smile:
I have every intention of sending it home of i end up in Aberdeen, because i'll be a 10 minute drive away for at least 5 weeks. :P

I know it's a silly reason as well, but the hospital's warm. It's like, cosy, as opposed to a chilly unwelcoming hospital :L

I know, the only actual offer i have and it's getting rejected. Oops. :P

I have an unconditional for my back-up :frown:

Haven't heard from Edinburgh (med) yet, had interviews at Aberdeen and Glasgow and was rejected outright from Dundee :smile:

I am so fed up of waiting though. i would love to know now. :frown:

Yeah definitely, I love Glasgow but would be nice to move to somewhere smaller. And I don't blame you, might as well make use of the situation haha!

No it's that silly, it's important to feel comfortable where you are as well, at the end of the day, they'll all make you a doctor, but you won't feel the same in every city. So it's as important to like the place as well as the course!

But it's good to sometimes have peace of mind that there's always the option even though you'll not take it, I sometimes wish I put one down for that reason.

Same, it seems to be going on and on forever but will be the same for everyone. Just wish they'd put us out our misery soon!

Good luck, I'm sure I'll here how everything goes for you :smile: x
Reply 1194
Original post by DrWannabe
For some reason i've had it in my head from the start that offers will come out week beginning the 12th March. So just over 2 weeks to wait :smile:

I think :smile:

What makes you think that? :smile:
I really hope you're right, this waiting is getting too much for me! :frown:
Reply 1195
Original post by Jelton
Yeah definitely, I love Glasgow but would be nice to move to somewhere smaller. And I don't blame you, might as well make use of the situation haha!

No it's that silly, it's important to feel comfortable where you are as well, at the end of the day, they'll all make you a doctor, but you won't feel the same in every city. So it's as important to like the place as well as the course!

But it's good to sometimes have peace of mind that there's always the option even though you'll not take it, I sometimes wish I put one down for that reason.

Same, it seems to be going on and on forever but will be the same for everyone. Just wish they'd put us out our misery soon!

Good luck, I'm sure I'll here how everything goes for you :smile: x

Hahah, i love it here, but it would be nice to move somewhere Bigger! :L

I suppose so :biggrin: And the people in Aberdeen are sweet people :smile:

Well i guess. But i almost feel that if i were to get no medicine offers and still not do the back up, i'd be being ungrateful and so on.. :/

Aaaaagh. I just hate waiting :L

You too! and yeah, you probably will hear. :P I'll hear about you too, unless it's St Andrews, because i don't check that thread :L
can yr 12s who will have done AS levels get an unconditional offer?
Original post by sgeorge11
can yr 12s who will have done AS levels get an unconditional offer?

No. The offer is conditional on A2s. Scottish students can get unconditionals after S5 though.
Just wondering whether Aberdeen are still giving out interviews? I haven't heard squat from em, along with 2 other of my choices. Dundee at least just rejected me quickly :s-smilie:
Original post by ChemClues
Just wondering whether Aberdeen are still giving out interviews? I haven't heard squat from em, along with 2 other of my choices. Dundee at least just rejected me quickly :s-smilie:

There are interviews until mid-March, and they give 1-2 weeks notice, so you still have another week or so before they'll stop handing out invites.

Quick Reply

Latest