The Student Room Group

Graduates - post here if your work and jobs so far are not as you expected or hoped

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Aggster
oh wow, I've been trying so hard to get into an entry level NHS job, any tips/advice you could give me? well done btw and lol I had a temp job at debenhams over xmas!

Are you after a healthcare assistant job? I wasn't bothered about where I ended up so I applied to jobs all over! Got an interview in Cheltenham and that's where I've ended up with a new life! I printed a bunch of stuff out about the job role so I knew what I was talking about come interview time! I also researched the hospital so I could throw in some comments about anything interesting they were involved with.

Keep trying, it was the best thing I ever did, I met my partner on the same ward and it led me to realise what I actually wanted to do as a career. There are so many possibilities and having experience on the wards, especially as a HCA because there's so much patient contact involved, looks great on an application and CV.
Reply 21
Original post by Llamageddon
I graduated with a first in Genetics from UCL, dossed around for half a year afterwards, worked for 6 months in a sweet shop then started a masters at Liverpool. Passed that and then did a teacher training degree but was utterly useless at teaching so I'm now working as a research assistant at Liverpool University whilst also pretending to be a policeman in the special constabulary.

I am simultaneously content and concerned about my job, where I am, where I expect to be and where I think I should be at now. My wage is OK but it's in a role with little to no progression attached in a field that doesn't interest me. I want to change direction and do an analytical role outside of science research but I'm not entirely sure how to. 5/10?

Do you know programming? I know several hard science guys who learned programming on their own and got pretty good paying quant financial jobs
Reply 22
Original post by NB_ide
I see all kinds of figures thrown around in newspapers and such, for example that after 6mo the average graduate salary is 25k or so. I find that hard to believe and it must surely be taken from a sample of top graduates. Maybe it's just my friends but after six months most people I knew from uni (left in 2008) were unemployed or working in a supermarket. I took a first in a bioscience from a well-regarded university, but had no work experience or connections in industry and so on. I also didn't realise (poor guidance at school, imo) how there's really no work in biosciences at all, and it offers little or no access to other disciplines.

It took me over 3 years to land a job, and now I earn 15k (gross), working as a lab technician in an unrelated science. That's several thousand £ less than a typical PhD student earns, taking tax into account. I've applied for other jobs but now that I'm several years past graduating I've been told in interviews that they worry I have lapsed a bit, drifted away, mentally - and it's true, I have. My current job doesn't let me use my brain very much and I've forgotten everything I did at uni, so I'm really back at square one, but rapidly ageing and becoming less valuable to an employer with each passing year.

I have no idea what to do - this job is pretty boring but has some positive aspects. It's a complete dead end and my pay scale tops out at 17.5k I think, which I would reach over a number of years if I perform well. I'm closer to 30 than 20 and am still living in a shared student house, no chance at all that I could afford anything better.

I'd be interested to hear from others who were perhaps a bit naiive about their choice of subject, or didn't realise what one has to do to get a decent job, or can't find anything worth doing for reasonable money, etc.

I'm a bit confused by it all, and disillusioned. In my case, university made it harder for me, by letting me live like a child for even longer and shielding me from the real world. People who left school at 16 and started work can do much better for themselves than someone like me.

Let's discuss this situation, increasingly common with jobs as scarce as they are today. I don't like being in this awkward middle-ground. I either want a decent, engaging job earning a wage appropriate for someone my age, or I should just drop out entirely and go and live in a cave somewhere. I could maintain my current lifestyle on benefits alone so I'm not sure why I bother.

I graduated in biosciences but I didn't stay in the field. There are other careers which pay more. And you can go back to biosciences when you are older.
Reply 23
Original post by effofex
I graduated in biosciences but I didn't stay in the field. There are other careers which pay more. And you can go back to biosciences when you are older.

Where do you work now and how did you get there?
Reply 24
Original post by Empire08
Graduated last year with a degree in Computer Science from Newcastle. Applied for many many jobs in my field, graduate schemes and entry level jobs. No luck there, so broadened my search to just 'any full time job'. Couldn't even get that.

I'm now working 20hrs a week in a call centre. This is the sad reality for today's graduates.

You are a comp sci grad and you can't get a job? Wow that's pretty crazy. When I graduated in 2005, all my comp sci friends got a job offer even before they graduated.

Are you sure you are not too picky, programming skills are always in demand.
Wow this is all a bit off putting for starting uni in September :frown:
I am still in the application process of some jobs.

I only wish somehow I managed to get relevant industry experience.
Reply 27
What a load of nonsense.

Has everyone here who is complaining about their lack of employment (or poor standard of employment) taken a long hard look at themselves from the perspective of an employer?

A degree is simply a filter employers use to cut down on applicants. If you think a degree alone gets you a job then you are very much mistaken. Put some effort in to getting some experience (relevant if possible) and get yourself involved in societies and/or projects. This gets you to the interview / assessment stage. Once there it comes down to you as a candidate... Can you work well with others in group exercises? ... Can you handle unexpected questions in interview and think on your feet? ... Can you achieve suitable scores in aptitude tests? ... Do you come across as someone worth employing? ... etcetera. If you can you will land yourself a position, if you can't then you won't. Don't think that having a degree simply entitles you!

As for those who mentioned specific subject areas, plenty of the large employers consider degrees from any background as long as you can demonstrate to them that you are genuinely passionate about their industry. If there are no jobs in your subject area, look elsewhere. I've landed several graduate scheme offers from top companies across several industries and my academic background is nothing special. If your degree is holding you back then you are misusing it.

That is my opinion anyway :wink:

EDIT: Oh and this 'it's who you know' business is more rubbish. Of course knowing the right people helps, but it is not a requirement to get a graduate position. Most big companies have a well established application procedure which gives everybody (without exception) a fair shot at getting a position.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Nice Username
Wow this is all a bit off putting for starting uni in September :frown:

Don't be put off by this thread.

So long as you are going to a decent university and aren't doing something woeful like BSc Hair Dressing it will be worth your while. Choose somewhere with a placement year if you are worried about gaining experience.
Reply 29
A depressing thread really makes me think about getting some more work experience specifically concerning dentistry

On a better note don't stagnant in your job (especially if you don't like it) Look at yourself in one yr and see if your happy with where you are

Also look for jobs in developing countries for example I come from Sierra Leone and there are little to no dentists if I can't find work here Ill make a killing over there
Reply 30
Original post by M1011
What a load of nonsense.

oh?

Has everyone here who is complaining about their lack of employment (or poor standard of employment) taken a long hard look at themselves from the perspective of an employer?

A degree is simply a filter employers use to cut down on applicants. If you think a degree alone gets you a job then you are very much mistaken. Put some effort in to getting some experience (relevant if possible) and get yourself involved in societies and/or projects. This gets you to the interview / assessment stage. Once there it comes down to you as a candidate... Can you work well with others in group exercises? ... Can you handle unexpected questions in interview and think on your feet? ... Can you achieve suitable scores in aptitude tests? ... Do you come across as someone worth employing? ... etcetera. If you can you will land yourself a position, if you can't then you won't. Don't think that having a degree simply entitles you!

As for those who mentioned specific subject areas, plenty of the large employers consider degrees from any background as long as you can demonstrate to them that you are genuinely passionate about their industry. If there are no jobs in your subject area, look elsewhere. I've landed several graduate scheme offers from top companies across several industries and my academic background is nothing special. If your degree is holding you back then you are misusing it.

That is my opinion anyway :wink:

EDIT: Oh and this 'it's who you know' business is more rubbish. Of course knowing the right people helps, but it is not a requirement to get a graduate position. Most big companies have a well established application procedure which gives everybody (without exception) a fair shot at getting a position.

Sounds like actually you agree with nearly everything I said, lol...
Reply 31
Original post by Llamageddon
I graduated with a first in Genetics from UCL, dossed around for half a year afterwards, worked for 6 months in a sweet shop then started a masters at Liverpool. Passed that and then did a teacher training degree but was utterly useless at teaching so I'm now working as a research assistant at Liverpool University whilst also pretending to be a policeman in the special constabulary.

I am simultaneously content and concerned about my job, where I am, where I expect to be and where I think I should be at now. My wage is OK but it's in a role with little to no progression attached in a field that doesn't interest me. I want to change direction and do an analytical role outside of science research but I'm not entirely sure how to. 5/10?

Slut yourself out working for free if you can, and apply to as many positions as possible. IMO it's basically just a numbers game, or sheer luck, in most cases. People who happen to land a good jobs retrospectively identify "reasons" why they did, and people who happen not to retrospectively identify "reasons" why they couldn't. Maybe it's usually just a case of being in the right place at the right time. I have no idea why I got my current job - I'm **** at it. Must have just been my day.
This is rather depressing for me I haven't got an awful lot of work experience and have nothing lined up for September :frown:
Reply 33
Why the neg reps? Didn't realise it was a crime to spill the beans on my own personal experience! A lot of people on here are so judgemental, ignorant, and arrogant with their heads so far up their own %^&* that they think the world revolves around them, and that pretty much sums up just what's wrong with this country, and why it's graduates are in %^*&
Original post by NB_ide
Slut yourself out working for free if you can, and apply to as many positions as possible. IMO it's basically just a numbers game, or sheer luck, in most cases. People who happen to land a good jobs retrospectively identify "reasons" why they did, and people who happen not to retrospectively identify "reasons" why they couldn't. Maybe it's usually just a case of being in the right place at the right time. I have no idea why I got my current job - I'm **** at it. Must have just been my day.

I admit I'm about as far as you can get from an expert in graduate recruitment, but I would have to disagree with this. Surely a select few really well thought out, competitive applications to positions that correspond best to your studies/previous professional experience would be better than a load of impersonal applications with the same CV and a non-personalised, rushed application letter?

I mean, with (paid) internships (not the same thing I know, but still) I only applied to 4, got interviews at 2 and an offer at 1. Whereas I know people that have applied to hundreds (only a mild exaggeration :wink:) with no success.
Original post by NB_ide
I see all kinds of figures thrown around in newspapers and such, for example that after 6mo the average graduate salary is 25k or so. I find that hard to believe and it must surely be taken from a sample of top graduates. Maybe it's just my friends but after six months most people I knew from uni (left in 2008) were unemployed or working in a supermarket. I took a first in a bioscience from a well-regarded university, but had no work experience or connections in industry and so on. I also didn't realise (poor guidance at school, imo) how there's really no work in biosciences at all, and it offers little or no access to other disciplines.

It took me over 3 years to land a job, and now I earn 15k (gross), working as a lab technician in an unrelated science. That's several thousand £ less than a typical PhD student earns, taking tax into account. I've applied for other jobs but now that I'm several years past graduating I've been told in interviews that they worry I have lapsed a bit, drifted away, mentally - and it's true, I have. My current job doesn't let me use my brain very much and I've forgotten everything I did at uni, so I'm really back at square one, but rapidly ageing and becoming less valuable to an employer with each passing year.

I have no idea what to do - this job is pretty boring but has some positive aspects. It's a complete dead end and my pay scale tops out at 17.5k I think, which I would reach over a number of years if I perform well. I'm closer to 30 than 20 and am still living in a shared student house, no chance at all that I could afford anything better.

I'd be interested to hear from others who were perhaps a bit naiive about their choice of subject, or didn't realise what one has to do to get a decent job, or can't find anything worth doing for reasonable money, etc.

I'm a bit confused by it all, and disillusioned. In my case, university made it harder for me, by letting me live like a child for even longer and shielding me from the real world. People who left school at 16 and started work can do much better for themselves than someone like me.

Let's discuss this situation, increasingly common with jobs as scarce as they are today. I don't like being in this awkward middle-ground. I either want a decent, engaging job earning a wage appropriate for someone my age, or I should just drop out entirely and go and live in a cave somewhere. I could maintain my current lifestyle on benefits alone so I'm not sure why I bother.

I'm 17 and I'm earning 15K a year + commission. If you wasn't a sheep then you wouldn't be in that situation, altohugh I do feel sorry for you some what.

I'm nearly 18 and have a years experience in sales and marketing, I hope to branch off into recruitment, or become a sales executive in about 6 months. However if I do stay at this job they're giving me a pay rise in 3 months.

No I'm not telling you this to make you feel ****, EXPERIENCE IS KEY.

EXPERIENCE, that's all.
Original post by NB_ide
I'm not going to give up a well paid job to work for free. For the most part internships are ****e, more often than not they're 200 miles away in London, employers respect paid employment far more than unpaid and I'm not going to sell my car because I quite like owning it.

FYI I'm a research assistant at Liverpool university. It's a very good job for people who want to then go onto a phd and pursue a career in science, it's just that I find research repetitive and I don't personally get much from it. I want to work in an analytical job outside of science but I don't know where the "entry level" is there and most certainly can't go around quitting my job to do some internship for it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xmarilynx
I admit I'm about as far as you can get from an expert in graduate recruitment, but I would have to disagree with this. Surely a select few really well thought out, competitive applications to positions that correspond best to your studies/previous professional experience would be better than a load of impersonal applications with the same CV and a non-personalised, rushed application letter?

I mean, with (paid) internships (not the same thing I know, but still) I only applied to 4, got interviews at 2 and an offer at 1. Whereas I know people that have applied to hundreds (only a mild exaggeration :wink:) with no success.
I would disagree too. 40 applications per place doesn't mean you need to apply 40 times to get the job, it means that your application has to be really good. I applied to god knows how many research assistant jobs before my masters and didn't get an interview for one. After my masters I had a much better idea of how to apply, how to do the job and which contacts to butter up, I applied to 7, got 5 interviews and 2 offers, 1 rejection and 2 I didn't wait to find out from. Quantity should not come at the expense of quality in a competitive market.
A common theme of people here is not trying to get any work experience until after graduating. Thinking a degree is enough to get a job. Now I haven't even started my degree yet but I'll be applying to do internships and bits of work experience from day 1 because I know experience is key in getting any good job. Or a tonne of luck but you'd be a fool to rely on that.

Also, maybe it's just coincidence but seems 90% of people here did a biology-related degree - could be a massive shortage of jobs in that area, or little demand for biology (and related disciplines) graduates for some reason.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
I'm 17 and I'm earning 15K a year + commission. If you wasn't a sheep then you wouldn't be in that situation, altohugh I do feel sorry for you some what.

I'm nearly 18 and have a years experience in sales and marketing, I hope to branch off into recruitment, or become a sales executive in about 6 months. However if I do stay at this job they're giving me a pay rise in 3 months.

No I'm not telling you this to make you feel ****, EXPERIENCE IS KEY.

EXPERIENCE, that's all.

Why are you on this forum, are you even a student or prospective student?

That seemed like a personal attack; I didn't mean it to be - I'm genuinely intrigued.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending