The Student Room Group

What's it like growing up rich?

Some kids on TSR sound really wealthy, not like poor me!

Makes me wonder, what's it like growing up rich? Is it as cool as everyone assumes? I know some students even at school get their own cars and things like that, but I've read about students with trust funds, properties bought for them, horses, all expenses met. Is that as marvellous as it sounds?

Do students like that understand anything at all about how most of us are living?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Something like this was all I wanted as a child. This would have been the main difference in me growing up rich. *sigh* one day

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Wheels-Kawasaki-Monster-Traction/dp/B001SEQQB4/ref=zg_bs_166413011_3
Reply 2
Original post by HariboMunch
Some kids on TSR sound really wealthy, not like poor me!

Makes me wonder, what's it like growing up rich? Is it as cool as everyone assumes? I know some students even at school get their own cars and things like that, but I've read about students with trust funds, properties bought for them, horses, all expenses met. Is that as marvellous as it sounds?

Do students like that understand anything at all about how most of us are living?

I've known quite a few rich kids, through working as a concierge/butler for a super-posh hotel chain. I've spent time with them, had extended conversations over days and got to know some moderately well.

My general opinion is that it isn't quite "as cool as everyone assumes" in many cases. The reasons vary, but I would say quite a few families with money, ranging from wealthy to very wealthy, are fairly screwed up. I don't know why that happens exactly, but it does seem to follow. One of the issues is that wealthy parents are often hyper-driven success types. (less so with the Old Money families, but still there to some extent.) So they have often had much less time for their children growing up than other families sometimes do. I am always surprised how emotionally deprived many wealthy kids are. I think it almost goes with the turf. There's a real need for attention and love.

The classic story is that rich families substitute material well-being for affection and I think that is often true.

Do they know what life is like for the rest of us? On the whole, I would have to say not. Most children like that have existed in a bubble of privilege; they meet only other kids like themselves at elite private schools; they don't meet poorer people much. Even in private schools that have bursary students, they are often from middle-class homes. Exposure to the lives of the toiling masses is pretty much a no-no. Many wealthy parents and grandparents want it that way, they are fearful of the contact.
Reply 3
It depends on how they were brought up.

I went to a Jewish school and a lot of the kids were super rich. by the time we were in 6th form they were already behind the wheel, new car, insurance everything all paid for by their parents just for getting 60% on a mock test (What the ****).

Then when I went to a music institute. Many international students were just filthy rich. I'm talking apartment rent at about £800 a month. New quality clothes all the time, money to tour, new gear etc.

To be honest, I never really thought there was much difference since I have everything I want and I'm quite content with it. It's just that these kids may be able to well, move around a bit more. Sure I can't move to Uni down south or go on the odd holiday whenever I want but that's fine with me.
Reply 4
i met a guy that went to harrow on a camp thingy. im pretty sure he had absolutely no idea of how most people live as we were discussing concerts and i said i couldnt afford the £55 ticket and he was (quote) 'huh? who cant afford a £55 ticket?? thats weird'. later in the evening he then bought £60 worth of freddo frogs....
so there are definitly people out there who dont realise how privileged they are! but im pretty sure they are the minority!

what i find amazing is how much money people are willing to spend on things. like id never pay more than £50 for a bag, i just think its a complete waste of money. but then you see wealthy people with birkins (bags) worth +£10000 and i just think...there is so much that you can do with that money and youve pretty much flushed it down the toilet.
Reply 5
My family is considered by many of my friends to be rich. Doesn't mean anything for me. I went to an awful school, don't have any of the latest tech and will likely get a dodgy second hand car. Just because my parents are rich doesn't mean I am.

What I'm trying to say is that with rich families you get all types, people who live a life of luxury to people who get next to nothing. I'm fortunate enough to be somewhere in the middle!
Weve got no money so its interesting reading studentroom where some kids do have money. Had chats with one or two, they sound ok as people but they all seem to say theyre not rich or spoilt even though they really are, they so are.
I grew up in a wealthier than most families, but not rich to the extent where we had staff or anything, and both parents worked. I am grateful for the way they taught me about money. Although they provided me with everything I NEEDED, if I WANTED anything (clothes, mobile phones, games etc) I had to work for it. I was taught to help with the washing and hoovering from when I started school (obviously not doing LOADS at that point, just helping out) and was encouraged to get a paper round at the age of 13.. and I've worked ever since for my own money. We lost a lot of our income when Dad got made redundant, and I was happy that I was able to support my family with my job rather than crumbling like others might if their parents had spoiled them.
Original post by POWCATTY
later in the evening he then bought £60 worth of freddo frogs....

Hahaha what a brilliant waste of money!
I mean it's good but my friends are quite hostile about it. Saying that I should be working my ass off in a job, even when their parents are paying for their car and phone contract.
Reply 10
Original post by about_my_bow
Hahaha what a brilliant waste of money!

hahaha i know
Reply 11
Original post by UsualStudent
Weve got no money so its interesting reading studentroom where some kids do have money. Had chats with one or two, they sound ok as people but they all seem to say theyre not rich or spoilt even though they really are, they so are.

You'll always get some denial on TSR (and in the real world) because people fear being pigeon-holed as "spoilt brat" or similar stereotypes.

I grew up in what I would class as a very comfortable background (some might call it "rich", others "upper-middle class") and didn't and don't lack for anything material particularly - I have had nice allowances, large presents like a car and other goodies. I think the best thing about growing up the way I did was that my parents and wider family are generally intelligent, good people with good attitudes to life and work and access to a lot of knowledge about all kinds of things. I didn't grow up feeling like I can't get things sorted or figure out what to do or "win through" which is a considerable plus. I like it that I always had good food, healthy exercise, interesting activities, great holidays to fascinating and lovely places and mixed with children at school and home who had similar outlooks. Obviously the generous side of my upbringing was and is very nice and I consider myself lucky.

I am still finding out to what extent I am ignorant of others; like anything in life, what you don't know, you don't know, until you are exposed. Going to college was like that for me - mixing with a wider circle of people than just home & private school. I try not to be too cliquey at college and make an effort to know and learn about people with different lives.
Reply 12
"Do students like that understand anything at all about how most of us are living?"

Bitter much?

:troll:
Reply 13
How are we defining "rich"?
Reply 14
Original post by POWCATTY
later in the evening he then bought £60 worth of freddo frogs....

This made me laugh so much ahahaha, oh my lord! Thank you for sharing that, genuinely made my evening
Reply 15
The problem is that this is a particularly loaded thread. Anybody who posts 'well its XYZ' will get negged/berated for posting as such, because it implies that they know that they are rich. :colonhash:

Just sayin'
Reply 16
Original post by Ocassus
The problem is that this is a particularly loaded thread. Anybody who posts 'well its XYZ' will get negged/berated for posting as such, because it implies that they know that they are rich. :colonhash:

Just sayin'

Just another example of how the pos/neg system prevents intelligent discourse on TSR sometimes.
Reply 17
Original post by Ocassus

Just sayin'

Exactly.

There was a thread the other week about students living in big houses, and a thread that was bumped up a number of times about students with wealthy parents (March time?).

It might be a genuine query of the OP, but also a chance for people to fuel the hatred towards those from different backgrounds as though they are a different type of species.
Reply 18
Well, I certainly wouldn't say I am rich, but thats only because my parents pay for their two children's private education. But before we were enrolled into this education, it was nice, but i don't think I understood it that much and I thought I was super-rich. If I am being honest, I'd even say I bragged a little about it, but at that point, all the people I knew had parents that worked it tescos and my parents are lawyers, but I know it was wrong now - not just because of my realisation that there are people 10 times richer, but its not exactly the nicest thing to do. Seriously, one of the girls who left a few years ago was a princess of an African country! How do you address her?
You don't have to look at price tags and you can just buy the best quality of everything. They also get to go on holiday all the time and do fancy stuff over the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending