The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noodlzzz

Errrr went for a coffee with an old friend from college. She ended up telling me how her friend was suicidal and how she thought it was attention seeking, how one of the girls in sixth form who ended up in a psych ward for bipolar was 'an absolute freak'. I just sat there thinking about my 6 admissions in the last 6 months and how I've been suicidal. I actually was wanting to tell her beforehand that things aren't ok, but I guess stigma is a bitch.

:jumphug: Really sorry to hear that you have come across such prejudice and negativity. There's unfortunately quite a bit of it around :sadnod: I try to be as honest and open about my health as possible but it can be so disheartening to see and hear some of the reactions :console:
Original post by luno

I'm sorry, I didn't get a chance to thank you from ages ago :redface: I'm going to see my dad soon, so I'm in a much better mood now than I was a few weeks ago. The teasing has still continued but hopefully that should get better soon.

How are you doing? :smile:
Maybe she was sleeping/phone on silent/thinking what to reply.

It doesn't necessarily have to be an indication of something negative, especially not that you are pathetic in any way! It's very understandable that you got panicked by that.

It was something pretty stupid in the end. I went and ranted at a nurse about it instead, which I guess is an improvement on what I would of done instead if I wasn't in hospital. Thanks.

Original post by SciFiRory
:hugs: that's not pathetic, it's understandable given how you have been lately and if you had bad experiences before, and don't worry I used to get like insanely upset/paranoid when my ex didn't text me back for a while, heck I get distraught if a friend doesn't reply to a message I send them for a while, it's so easy when you are ill to be hugely affected by even the slightest thing that might make you feel sad or paranoid! just saying your not the only one so you aren't pathetic at all!

Thanks, I'm trying to work on it because it really strains any relationships I have. But luckily my girlfriend really understands me and if I panic and text her lots she just accepts it and doesn't get mad.

Original post by bytail
Thanks for the information :smile: Wish they'd hurry up and contact me, I'm sick of playing the waiting game.

Well that's good :smile: Hopefully you can work through things fairly quickly and be out again soon!

Waiting game is never good! Thank you :smile:

---------------------------

Errrr went for a coffee with an old friend from college. She ended up telling me how her friend was suicidal and how she thought it was attention seeking, how one of the girls in sixth form who ended up in a psych ward for bipolar was 'an absolute freak'. I just sat there thinking about my 6 admissions in the last 6 months and how I've been suicidal. I actually was wanting to tell her beforehand that things aren't ok, but I guess stigma is a bitch.

Wow, that's pretty ****ing terrible for that person to say all of that. It sucks so much that there are people like that in the world. Sorry you had to hear all that though, it can't of been nice to sit there and hear all that. :hugs:

-----------------

I spoke to a psychiatrist today (although not my consultant, so I couldn't ask for some leave to go to DBT, but when I mentioned it to the doctor, he said he doubted that I would get it...). We spoke loads about the shadows and how they communicate with me and my "paranoid" ideas that there is a plot to kill me because I am possessed by the devil, and other things. They are going to increase my quetiapine again, and he said that it is a possibility that I have Bipolar or Schizophrenia alongside my BPD, not sure how to take that, especially as I do not think I am psychotic, but whatever. Don't have any choice in my meds anyway, due the section so nothing I can do...

How is everyone? Sorry I haven't been replying much, Internet in here is dire!
Reply 5723
If you're with it, then yes it's 'normal'. Only when it becomes distressing would it be a concern. Only thing is you said you used to be a lot more sociable. This could be a sign of it being associated with mental health or it could simply be a lifestyle change that has nothing to do with mental health.

---------------------------

That's awful :frown: It's what makes me scared of telling people, there's still that stigma around. Must have been horrible to hear a friend saying that.

I don't see how people can think being suicidal is attention seeking :frown:
Reply 5724
If you're with it, then yes it's 'normal'. Only when it becomes distressing would it be a concern. Only thing is you said you used to be a lot more sociable. This could be a sign of it being associated with mental health or it could simply be a lifestyle change that has nothing to do with mental health.

Yeah I guess that's what I need to work out.
It's a little distressing to me that I'm cutting myself off from situations to meet new friends/ boyfriends etc. but at the same time I'm making a conscious decision not to go out and do things. Might mention it to the team when I see them next week to see what they think. Can't hurt, I guess.

:hugs: Yeah that's a tough situation.
I probably can't offer a lot of advice here because the last time anything like this happened to me (a 'friend' told me I was lucky to have experienced psychotic depression because it "kept life interesting"), I just completely cut them out of my life because it wasn't a healthy relationship to keep.
I don't know enough about them to recommend what to do and I think each situation is different anyway, but just wanted you to know you're not alone in having friends with that sort of blinkered view. :hugs:
Reply 5725
My mum just came in looking vaguely concerned and asking if I'm okay. I mentioned I had a GP visit casually and now she's worried. I want to tell her and my dad together. Can't get away with not telling them now she keeps asking.
Original post by bullettheory

I spoke to a psychiatrist today (although not my consultant, so I couldn't ask for some leave to go to DBT, but when I mentioned it to the doctor, he said he doubted that I would get it...). We spoke loads about the shadows and how they communicate with me and my "paranoid" ideas that there is a plot to kill me because I am possessed by the devil, and other things. They are going to increase my quetiapine again, and he said that it is a possibility that I have Bipolar or Schizophrenia alongside my BPD, not sure how to take that, especially as I do not think I am psychotic, but whatever. Don't have any choice in my meds anyway, due the section so nothing I can do...

:hugs: I know it's not the nicest of things to hear and I'm not saying they're right or whatever, but I've noticed from your posts that your shadows seem quite like my voices, only much nastier :sadnod: :hugs: :console:

Original post by d123
My mum just came in looking vaguely concerned and asking if I'm okay. I mentioned I had a GP visit casually and now she's worried. I want to tell her and my dad together. Can't get away with not telling them now she keeps asking.

:jumphug:
:hugs: I hope you feel able to sleep soon, there anything you do that helps you get to sleep normally? I hope your mood picks up and stuff soon too :console:

When I struggle to sleep I really struggle. Last night felt like every bit of my body hurt or ached or itched. I just didn't feel comfortable at all. Dropped off eventually. Wanted to reply to you last night but didn't want to wake my gf with the typing :redface:

How are you doing? I saw that you were in hospital! Hope you're feeling better now and hopefully I'll get chance to catch you on skype soon :smile:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oops, only just noticed your post: sorry :colondollar: Glad you had an amazing time at the concert! Sometimes after really exciting things, I kinda crash mood-wise. Maybe that's happening with you? :dontknow: I'm gonna go and listen to some soothing music to see if that does anything: maybe you should try the same :smile:

Completely fine for missing me - it was very late and I'm like a ninja :wink: Managed to drop off about an hour later after watching a Titanic documentary. I really need to get some sort of sleep pattern sorted. Did you sleep eventually? (I'd read the thread to see what happened but I have the attention span of a knat so I keep fluttering in and out and getting all confused) *hugs*

Sorry for anyone that's replied to me and I haven't replied back to. Also, thanks for all of the pos rep about the phd thing! You guys are awesome! Hope to be back properly soon but for now I hope you're all doing okay *hugs*
Original post by ParadoxSocks

Completely fine for missing me - it was very late and I'm like a ninja :wink: Managed to drop off about an hour later after watching a Titanic documentary. I really need to get some sort of sleep pattern sorted. Did you sleep eventually? (I'd read the thread to see what happened but I have the attention span of a knat so I keep fluttering in and out and getting all confused) *hugs*

Ah, glad you got some sleep in the end. It got to about 5am and my mum heard a noise from my room and found me awake. So I went and cuddled up in her bed and eventually fell asleep :colondollar:
Ah, glad you got some sleep in the end. It got to about 5am and my mum heard a noise from my room and found me awake. So I went and cuddled up in her bed and eventually fell asleep :colondollar:

Naww, that sounds pretty awesome to be honest! I spent the night accidentally nudging my girlfriend and she kept snarling (which was a little weird I think) so your night sounds much better!
Naww, that sounds pretty awesome to be honest! I spent the night accidentally nudging my girlfriend and she kept snarling (which was a little weird I think) so your night sounds much better!

:eek: about the snarling!

Hope you sleep better tonight :yes:

Snarling sounds hot. :sexface:
Regrets. Sigh.
:eek: about the snarling!

Hope you sleep better tonight :yes:

I'm back at my girlfriend's parents house so sleeping is a little easier (less to be distracted with!) so hopefully tonight will be better. Hope you get some good sleep too!

Original post by superwolf
Snarling sounds hot. :sexface:

Well you'd think that wouldn't you? A couple of nights ago I accidentally touched her shoulder and she shouted a string of swear words in my face while still being entirely asleep. She then rolled over and continued snoring. I WAS PETRIFIED.
Original post by luno
Yeah, she's amazing :smile:. I know she would want to know. We've been best friends since we were children and she is one of the few things that are keeping me going. I know she would also be upset that I haven't mentioned anything at all.

But I don't want to sound pathetic or attention seeking... I often think what would I say to her or a doctor but it just feels awkward and I just feel like I'm whining and moaning and nothing in particular. I also think if I tell her I would start distancing myself from her.

I want her to get better and counselling is helping her so much and I don't want her to worry about me when she needs to be focusing on herself.

I think in regard to speaking to anyone I'm going to see how my placement abroad works out... I'm hoping it'll be amazing and the change I need. But if it isn't I'll definitely speak to someone.

The weird thing is I've never had a problem like that in shops before :erm:. I guess I subconsciously prepare myself for leaving the house. I always have notes on my phone about what I'm doing or who I'm meeting and on the day I always give myself plenty of time to get ready. I think next time I unexpectedly have to go out, if I can, I will wait for a bit.

Thank you for replying :hugs:. Sorry to read to read about you going to A&E and stuff. You said you don't want to post what triggered you but if you ever want to talk about it, I (and many other lovely people on this thread) are just a PM away :jumphug:.

:hugs: talking to a friend who cares about you about these things doesn't make you pathetic or attention seeking at all, quite the opposite, it takes a lot of courage to talk to anyone about these things, but if they are supportive and there for you then it's definitely worth it and it sounds like your friend would be :smile:

hopefully she will yeah, but im sure she would want to know so she can support you as well!

well, hopefully it works out really well for you and stuff yeah :smile:

ah okay, well maybe just try and make sure you are mentally prepared a bit better in future then? and notes on your phone for what you need to do sounds like a really good idea too!

no worries, always happy to offer an ear or any support I can to people here :smile: and thanks, that means a lot to know people are here :hugs:
Original post by bullettheory

Thanks, I'm trying to work on it because it really strains any relationships I have. But luckily my girlfriend really understands me and if I panic and text her lots she just accepts it and doesn't get mad.

ah, it's good your girlfriend is understand then! :yes:

:hugs: hopefully they can figure out ways to help you and you feel better soon mate!
When I struggle to sleep I really struggle. Last night felt like every bit of my body hurt or ached or itched. I just didn't feel comfortable at all. Dropped off eventually. Wanted to reply to you last night but didn't want to wake my gf with the typing :redface:

How are you doing? I saw that you were in hospital! Hope you're feeling better now and hopefully I'll get chance to catch you on skype soon :smile:

Sorry for anyone that's replied to me and I haven't replied back to. Also, thanks for all of the pos rep about the phd thing! You guys are awesome! Hope to be back properly soon but for now I hope you're all doing okay *hugs*

ah that really sucks :console: might be worth talking to your GP to see if there is anything you can do/take to help with that? and that's okay, just so long as we know you are okay :h:

better for now, start of the week was pretty bad and I hated being in hospital, but price I paid for being stupid really I guess, for now though my mood isn't too bad and if it does drop I have number for the crisis team now at least! and cool :smile:

:hugs:
Well you'd think that wouldn't you? A couple of nights ago I accidentally touched her shoulder and she shouted a string of swear words in my face while still being entirely asleep. She then rolled over and continued snoring. I WAS PETRIFIED.

:lol: I went through a phase a few months back of shouting swearwords in my sleep and waking myself up. I've also been known to wake up halfway through a nightmare of someone attacking me, and courageously defend myself by scratching the person next to me hard on the nipple. :innocent:
Reply 5738
:lol: I went through a phase a few months back of shouting swearwords in my sleep and waking myself up. I've also been known to wake up halfway through a nightmare of someone attacking me, and courageously defend myself by scratching the person next to me hard on the nipple. :innocent:

Ha, bet they enjoyed that :P

Jesus Christ. Not sharing a room with you again unless you wear mittens or something :tongue:

ah that really sucks :console: might be worth talking to your GP to see if there is anything you can do/take to help with that? and that's okay, just so long as we know you are okay :h:

better for now, start of the week was pretty bad and I hated being in hospital, but price I paid for being stupid really I guess, for now though my mood isn't too bad and if it does drop I have number for the crisis team now at least! and cool :smile:

:hugs:

Yay for crisis team! Sucks that it had to go that far but at least you've got them now.

I keep making appointments at the doctors but don't ever seem to actually go. Need to request somebody to actually drug me now I'm not allowed anti-depressants. I also need to get my back sorted out before I just end up slumped in a pile somewhere.

Latest