The Student Room Group

American Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by yourJeremyL
Hi everyone! Yeah, I just wanna take my opportunity to ask all the americans here if they know a uni that offers a good quality of business degree course education in the US. I've been looking for a uni for my new degree

Undergraduate or postgraduate? Some of the most well respected American business schools are (in no particular order):

Postgraduate:

Stanford

Harvard

University of Chicago

Northwestern

NYU

University of Pennsylvania

Cornell

MIT

Columbia

Dartmouth

Duke

UC Berkeley

Undergraduate:

Notre Dame

University of Virginia

Cornell

NYU

University of Texas at Austin

Indiana University

University of Michigan

MIT

Berkeley

Carnegie Mellon University

University of Southern California

Original post by Impune
Undergraduate or postgraduate? Some of the most well respected American business schools are (in no particular order):

Postgraduate:

Stanford

Harvard

University of Chicago

Northwestern

NYU

Cornell

MIT

Columbia

Dartmouth

Duke

UC Berkeley

Undergraduate:

Notre Dame

University of Virginia

Cornell

NYU

University of Texas at Austin

Indiana University

University of Michigan

MIT

Berkeley

Carnegie Mellon University

University of Southern California

Thank you s much for the quick response!
Hi everyone,
I see that lots of American students applied to the UK last year for 2015 entry, but who is applying this year?
I sent off my application on Dec 1 for History to:
- Glasgow (unconditional)
- Aberdeen (unconditional)
- Cardiff (conditional)
- Edinburgh
- St Andrews.

Here are my stats:
SAT: 1920
GPA: 4.0
AP Exams: French (5), Spanish (5), US History (5), Macroeconomics (4), English Lang (4), World History (4), and Microeconomics (3). I'm taking English Lit this year. I'm also taking 4 Oxford online courses this year.
I'll be going to Portsmouth in September of 2016, coming from the US.

Original post by marinelc
Hi everyone,
I see that lots of American students applied to the UK last year for 2015 entry, but who is applying this year?
- Cardiff (conditional)
- Edinburgh
- St Andrews.

Here are my stats:
AP Exams: French (5), Spanish (5), US History (5), Macroeconomics (4), English Lang (4), World History (4), and Microeconomics (3). I'm taking English Lit this year. I'm also taking 4 Oxford online courses this year.
Original post by Frank1981
I'll be going to Portsmouth in September of 2016, coming from the US.

Cool! What course are you going to study?
I'm going for an MSc in Human Resources. I have the unconditional offer already, as long as my UK Visa gets approved I will be heading over in Sept. You?

Cool! What course are you going to study?
Hello there everyone :smile:

Sorry for being so late to the party, I'm seeing everyone is getting their offers and that makes me excited to see.
I'm currently a sophomore in High School so I've got 2.5 years of time left to decide what I'll be finally deciding haha

But I kinda just wanted some advice in general from the people here on TSR. I guess I'm just quite nervous about the whole thing. I want to study abroad VERY badly. For me, it's the best option right now, for sure.

I want to apply for Architecture at:

University of Cambridge (can't hurt to try!)
UCL
University of Newcastle
University of Manchester
And I'm not quite sure for my last choice, however...

My current GPA is about 3.5 unweighted (which is subject to a lot of change between now and the time I apply)
I plan on taking 11 APs by graduation, 7 before the senior year (when I apply)
I hope to take AP Psych, AP Environmental Science, and AP Gov and Politics (I know these aren;t very relevant to Architecture, but it'll have to do) hopefully I can get a 5 on each of those!
I haven't been doing great on the PSATs but I'm determined to do well, so I'll study A LOT. A 2200 is my goal (2400 would be ideal but idk it's unrealistic for me)
Reply 707
Original post by cyandanjou

Sorry for being so late to the party, I'm seeing everyone is getting their offers and that makes me excited to see.
I'm currently a sophomore in High School so I've got 2.5 years of time left to decide what I'll be finally deciding haha

But I kinda just wanted some advice in general from the people here on TSR. I guess I'm just quite nervous about the whole thing. I want to study abroad VERY badly. For me, it's the best option right now, for sure.

UCL
University of Newcastle
University of Manchester

My current GPA is about 3.5 unweighted (which is subject to a lot of change between now and the time I apply)
I hope to take AP Psych, AP Environmental Science, and AP Gov and Politics (I know these aren;t very relevant to Architecture, but it'll have to do) hopefully I can get a 5 on each of those!
I haven't been doing great on the PSATs but I'm determined to do well, so I'll study A LOT. A 2200 is my goal (2400 would be ideal but idk it's unrealistic for me)

Are you hoping to spend a semester or two abroad? Or studying abroad for an advanced degree?
Hi everyone,
- Cardiff (conditional)
- Edinburgh
- St Andrews.

Here are my stats:

what are u applying for? and what was the conditions for cardiff?
Original post by Frank1981
I'm going for an MSc in Human Resources. I have the unconditional offer already, as long as my UK Visa gets approved I will be heading over in Sept. You?

I'd applied for a BA in History.
Original post by kathytheskater
what are u applying for? and what was the conditions for cardiff?

I'm applying for a BA in History (V100), and the conditions for Cardiff weren't really "conditions," I just have to show them proof of my high school transcript and 3 APs.
Are you currently applying?

UCL
University of Newcastle
University of Manchester

Don't worry about the PSAT. I only got 190 when I did mine, and then in my first real practice I got 1800. And I managed to improve it a lot. So if I can do it, I'm sure you can! PM me if you'd like any preparation help :biggrin:
Original post by Student403
Don't worry about the PSAT. I only got 190 when I did mine, and then in my first real practice I got 1800. And I managed to improve it a lot. So if I can do it, I'm sure you can! PM me if you'd like any preparation help :biggrin:

Thank you so much! I think I'm just stressing for nothing (I've got a while to go!) I'll just go ahead and focus on my studies and it'll a'ight! Thanks for the offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCL
University of Newcastle
University of Manchester

Good job on your scores! I suggest University of Bath. They are at the top of architecture studies, so why not?
Good job on your scores! I suggest University of Bath. They are at the top of architecture studies, so why not?

Ooo good idea! Seems like a wonderful school, I'll check it out for sure
Ooo good idea! Seems like a wonderful school, I'll check it out for sure

I appreciate you considering my suggestion. I would suggest my uni but why not suggest a uni that is known for their architecture course? lol do you have a plan already on how you would get through living here in the uk if ever you would go here and study?? lifestyle, studies, coping with the people here and financial things?
I appreciate you considering my suggestion. I would suggest my uni but why not suggest a uni that is known for their architecture course? lol do you have a plan already on how you would get through living here in the uk if ever you would go here and study?? lifestyle, studies, coping with the people here and financial things?

Not a complete plan quite yet. One thing I do know is Uni in UK is a whole lot cheaper than most schools here in the US (as well as a year shorter, which is a huge financial relief). I was born in Europe and my mom worked in London for a while during the time before we moved to the US, so I'll be asking her about how living would work out and stuff. Overall I haven't really looked into it, but I definitely plan to soon!
Not a complete plan quite yet. One thing I do know is Uni in UK is a whole lot cheaper than most schools here in the US (as well as a year shorter, which is a huge financial relief). I was born in Europe and my mom worked in London for a while during the time before we moved to the US, so I'll be asking her about how living would work out and stuff. Overall I haven't really looked into it, but I definitely plan to soon!

Planning early is a good head start to be honest. I guess you'll get by. You already have an adviser, you mom :smile:. Me, I live here in the uk but I wanna see other environment and experience other things that is why I wanna continue my studies abroad. Anyway, hats off to you :wink:
Trying to revive this thread!

Is anyone still waiting on their unconditional offer? I was told that I should get mine by the end of the month(not a very helpful estimate), and
I feel like it's so late to be getting a response. I am starting to get anxious and really just want to know for sure what I am doing this fall so I can sort out my plane and visa and everything. Maybe it just feels really late compared to American schools.

It doesn't really help that I may be barely scraping by in terms of entry requirements. By barely scraping by I mean my GPA is about 0.06 points off and one section on the SAT is slightly lower than they're asking for, but the other two sections are higher than they asked for and my overall score is higher than the minimums pit together, if that makes sense? I'm sorry that turned into a bit of a ramble.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
It is late in US standards. I knew by January of my senior year where I was going for undergrad. In the UK though, this is not late at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest