The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whyumadtho
To 'celebrate' a behavioural trait under the pretence that it is attached inextricably to 'black' people propagates a stereotype that an educational authority should aim to reduce. If they said 'African-American Culture Day', or something similar, I would have no problem; however, I find the notion of 'acting like a black person' offensive, because there is not an archetypal set of behavioural traits for 'black' people, as ethnicity is inconsequential to a person's psychological attributes.

I also suspect that these so called 'celebrations' extend to nothing more than authority-sanctioned mockery and denigration of the minority groups of the school.

Do they have days for other cultures?

I'll call the waaaambulance for you.
Original post by KimKallstrom
I'll call the waaaambulance for you.

I just want my mummy. :frown:
Reply 22
Original post by Jimbo1234
But it is not racist. It would only be racist if it somehow made out that blacks were inferior due to their skin colour.
Also, I have never heard blacks called chavs before, so I would say it is a term only used for white gutter trash.

I know a black guy who openly admits he used to be a chav. :rolleyes:
Admittedly I did laugh but more out of disbelief. It's funny to read about but it's actually pretty unbelievable that a school does this, they must be pretty stupid to think that they wouldn't get complaints. What happened to this supposed PC boom?
Reply 24
Original post by March
Interesting that you'd quote the definition of racism only to misuse the term anyway. How on Earth can a day where everybody satirically acts in line with certain stereotypes imply racial superiority?

Also, the racial undertones of the term "wigger" are debatable to begin with. In this day and age, the only people who really use the word "******" anymore tend to be the people who lead the stereotypical, predominantly black "growing up in da hood" lifestyke. Outside of that subculture, the word has fallen out of use, including amongst the black community. If you're following my train of thought, you should be able to see why "wigger" isn't the literal bastardisation of the word it sounds like at face value.

Only one thing annoys me as much as a racist, and that's somebody who sees racism where there is but an acknowledgement that ethnic groups exist.

Honestly I can't be asked to debate on whether it's racist or not because honestly it makes no difference. Having a day where everyone acts the stereotypes of a black person is offensive and stupid, if you can't see that then I feel sorry for you.

The word "wigger" means someone that "acts black", simple as that. As far as im concerned it is a stupid word period because in my eyes you cannot act white or act black or any other racist.
Reply 25
Original post by Mangaka
Honestly I can't be asked to debate on whether it's racist or not because honestly it makes no difference. Having a day where everyone acts the stereotypes of a black person is offensive and stupid, if you can't see that then I feel sorry for you.

The word "wigger" means someone that "acts black", simple as that. As far as im concerned it is a stupid word period because in my eyes you cannot act white or act black or any other racist.

Your pity's wasted. Yeah, "simple as that"... you wish. Truth is, language is never that simple, words never have a clear cut definition and implications are always bound to context, but whatever, keep it "simple" if you want... dumb it down until it suits you.
Reply 26
Original post by March
Your pity's wasted. Yeah, "simple as that"... you wish. Truth is, language is never that simple, words never have a clear cut definition and implications are always bound to context, but whatever, keep it "simple" if you want... dumb it down until it suits you.

LooL are you for real? It's just a slang term there is NO underlying meaning it is that simple ask anyone they will say it is that simple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigger

Let me describe to you how it was made.

White - hite = W

****** - N = Igger

W + Igger = Wigger

Definition: A white person who tries to "act black".

That is the clear cut definition why are you trying to make it deeper than it actually it...
Reply 27
Ofcourse it's racist, even the fact that they used the term wigger in the title makes it racist from the start, there's no way of "acting black" or even "acting White" for that matter.
But even if we ignore the name, events like this, even with the best of intentions :rolleyes: can make opportunity for racist connotations, and this really isn't something we should be encouraging in children.
(edited 12 years ago)
:rofl:
Reply 29
It's a stupid thing for the high school to do, but it's still stupid for the girl to sue.
Reply 30
Original post by Mangaka
LooL are you for real? It's just a slang term there is NO underlying meaning it is that simple ask anyone they will say it is that simple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigger

Let me describe to you how it was made.

White - hite = W

****** - N = Igger

W + Igger = Wigger

Definition: A white person who tries to "act black".

That is the clear cut definition why are you trying to make it deeper than it actually it...

I don't think you've fully grasped what a fluid concept language is. How the term "wigger" was coined is one thing, how it's used and what it means to the people using it are inextricably bound by context... but I really can't be f****d for this at 3:13am.
:/ OKAay...

Why is this girl suing? I understand she's upset so she should just raise awareness that this is actually happening and speak to the appropriate authority. Why is she trying to make money out of it? Ahh Americans.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
To 'celebrate' a behavioural trait under the pretence that it is attached inextricably to 'black' people propagates a stereotype that an educational authority should aim to reduce. If they said 'African-American Culture Day', or something similar, I would have no problem; however, I find the notion of 'acting like a black person' offensive, because there is not an archetypal set of behavioural traits for 'black' people, as ethnicity is inconsequential to a person's psychological attributes.

I also suspect that these so called 'celebrations' extend to nothing more than authority-sanctioned mockery and denigration of the minority groups of the school.

Do they have days for other cultures?

That has to be the weirdest and most autistic way of saying ' I think kids representing stereotypes is wrong' :rolleyes:

But why is it wrong?
There is a higher chance that a black or Latino will be in prison rather then a college dorm so surely this stereotype (just as it always ) is founded on some truth.
Original post by Mangaka
rac·ism

noun /ˈrāˌsizəm/ 

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races

Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief
- a program to combat racism

It's racist, and regardless it is offensive and therefore shouldn't be allowed in a school. So according to you the people, people on this forum seem to hate so much are people that act black....

That definition's a misnomer.

"The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race,"

Well I believe that the black race has the characteristic of darker skin than the white race....

Am I racist?

What a crock.
Original post by Novis
:/ OKAay...

Why is this girl suing? I understand she's upset so she should just raise awareness that this is actually happening and speak to the appropriate authority. Why is she trying to make money out of it? Ahh Americans.

"Pruitt says the predominantly white school was a "hostile environment," and that she suffered from "extreme emotional distress including depression, loss of sleep, stress, crying, humiliation, anxiety, and shame" due to Wigger Day. Her attorney is seeking $75,000 in damages."

Well done Pruitt! Some people, racists, think that black people are lazy and want money without having to work for it! But you've obviously proved them wrong! What a credit to your race!

...lazy wigger...
That has to be the weirdest and most autistic way of saying ' I think kids representing stereotypes is wrong' :rolleyes:
Aww... Is the language too complicated for you, Jimbo1234? Is your patent inability to understand anything that isn't a single, direct sentence shining through again? You asked me why, so I gave you an explanation; leave D&D if expositions are too much for you. :facepalm2:

But why is it wrong?
There is a higher chance that a black or Latino will be in prison rather then a college dorm so surely this stereotype (just as it always ) is founded on some truth.

Stereotypes have no logical or factual basis. The very, very small minority of 'black' people act like gangsters.

Is the condoned mockery of physically or psychologically impaired people acceptable? Anywhere else that is classed as bullying; on a school-wide, authority-sanctioned scale, it is a systematic failure of management.
Original post by DirtyPrettyThing
"Pruitt says the predominantly white school was a "hostile environment," and that she suffered from "extreme emotional distress including depression, loss of sleep, stress, crying, humiliation, anxiety, and shame" due to Wigger Day. Her attorney is seeking $75,000 in damages."

Well done Pruitt! Some people, racists, think that black people are lazy and want money without having to work for it! But you've obviously proved them wrong! What a credit to your race!

...lazy wigger...

Are you serious? :indiff:
Original post by pepsihot
That is totally inappropriate. Schools are supposed to be there to educate,not to encourage negative stereotypical attitudes.

Aw, does white people pretending to be black hurt your already severe inferiority complex? The only bad thing about this is that anybody who dresses or acts like that, black or white, is a feckin eejit that needs a slap.
Reply 38
Aww... Is the language too complicated for you, Jimbo1234? Is your patent inability to understand anything that isn't a single, direct sentence shining through again? You asked me why, so I gave you an explanation; leave D&D if expositions are too much for you. :facepalm2:

No - you hide your weak arguments my masking them with grammatical complexity (normally resulting in your argument having no relation to the actual thread) . A common ploy adopted by autists.

Stereotypes have no logical or factual basis. The very, very small minority of 'black' people act like gangsters.

Is the condoned mockery of physically or psychologically impaired people acceptable? Anywhere else that is classed as bullying; on a school-wide, authority-sanctioned scale, it is a systematic failure of management.

Who said it was mockery?
Ever heard of 'having some fun'? Clearly not.
No - you hide your weak arguments my masking them with grammatical complexity (normally resulting in your argument having no relation to the actual thread) . A common ploy adopted by autists.
You have access to the definitions of every word I use here. Given that, it is fully possible for you to argue against the apparent faults in my arguments; the notion that you don't understand what I'm saying doesn't hold. The fact that you cannot refute my points does not mean my points are too confusing or irrelevant, it just means your argument has been dismantled. :h: Learn to concede an argument instead of resorting to ad lapidem and ad hominem arguments, because it is evident that when you say my argument or character is faulty without evidence, you cannot argue the actual point any more.

Who said it was mockery?
Ever heard of 'having some fun'? Clearly not.

By that logic, bullying doesn't exist because it's just 'having some fun'. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending