The Student Room Group

Going home for Weekends

Poll

How often do you go home?

Just wondering how often people go home for the weekend when at uni? In my flat it varies hugely, one person barely ever goes home, usually once a term and in the holidays, but others are home every other weekend.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
every weekend
Reply 2
every weekend, my job is at home. :smile:
Reply 3
Last term I went home once after a month, but now I think i'm gonna stay until the summer
Reply 4
I shall be a weekender! I only live an hour away from where I'm hopefully going, and my boyfriend only lives about 40 minutes away from there and I can get the bus halfway home :smile: I'll miss my boyfriend way too much if I don't see him at weekends! There may be the odd one or two when I stay up there.
Reply 5
In my first term, I didn't go home at all until Christmas.
This term, I've been home once so far because there was something going on back in London that I really wanted to go to. I won't be going home again until Easter though.

It's quite a long journey and I don't have the time or money to keep going back. I also think the fact that I stayed away for my whole first term forced me to settle in quicker because I couldn't pop home and realise what I was missing haha.
I went home twice last term but only because 1 was a funeral. This term it's only been the once, and that's how it'll be next year (next term is so short I won't bother going home until term ends). I dont miss home that much but it's nice to see my friends and catch up with them.
Reply 7
Whenever I can. I'd go every weekend but I'm either working or in uni, 7 days a week.

Off this weekend though so I can finally go home.
I miss my familys/ friends back home, and the drinking. I thought uni drinking was going to be full of win, what I didn't account for is the majority of people out drinking would be amateur students and therefore annoying, better to go home and drink with the hardcore.
(edited 12 years ago)
Every 3/4 weeks depending on events like birthdays etc :smile:
Reply 9
Going home every weekend is a terrible idea if you want to make friends. The weekends are when you really bond with your flat mates. I would saying monthly as an absolute maximum.
I normally see my Mum every other weekend, although it's not always at home because home is quite a long way away for me. Sometimes we meet in London or she'll come down to Southampton for the weekend. I've been home every weekend for the past 3 weeks though because I've got a lot of work to do and my halls are getting really noisy. I don't think my bank account will be able to sustain that for long though.
I never went home because I moved on and accepted that I had to make a new life at uni. Going home all the time is going to seriously hinder anyones uni experience.
Reply 12
Original post by Jimbo1234
I never went home because I moved on and accepted that I had to make a new life at uni. Going home all the time is going to seriously hinder anyones uni experience.

Lol thats ridiculous, why does making a new life at uni mean you have to completely forget about home? I actually quite like my friends and family thanks! Plus I personally can't afford to be here without a job, and there's not exactly a lot of them around...
Original post by Samz
Lol thats ridiculous, why does making a new life at uni mean you have to completely forget about home? I actually quite like my friends and family thanks! Plus I personally can't afford to be here without a job, and there's not exactly a lot of them around...

Because if you bugger off home every weekend, when do you hang out with your friends at uni (assuming you made new friends)?
As for family, just talk to them on the phone or skype and learn to be interdependent. Running back to mummy and daddy every weekend is missing the point about living away from home.
I went home twice last term, and have been home once this term (and won't be back again until Easter). I may or may not go home next term - TBH it's quite a short term, and I have a lot on at weekends, so the only reason I would go would be a family birthday.
I go home basically very weekend, but only because I absolutely hate it here and I'm reapplying. Plus my boyfriend is at home so it's nice to see him as much as possible.
Reply 16
Since I go to uni at the other end of the country it makes going home for a weekend slightly pointless as by the time I got there it'd be nearly time to leave.

Having said that, last term I went home once, this term I've been back once and will go home again next weekend :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Chana
Since I go to uni at the other end of the country it makes going home for a weekend slightly pointless as by the time I got there it'd be nearly time to leave.

Having said that, last term I went home once, this term I've been back once and will go home again next weekend :smile:

:ditto: I tend to go home in reading week or when i get a few days off in a row so once a term. In my flat in first year, a few went home every week for work/seeing bfs or gfs, a few went home every few weeks, couple of us did once a term and some did not at all but then many of us were either international or from down south so going home was a bit of a trek.
Original post by Chris22
Just wondering how often people go home for the weekend when at uni? In my flat it varies hugely, one person barely ever goes home, usually once a term and in the holidays, but others are home every other weekend.

I live about 5 hours from uni and a return by train costs £60. I don't go home during term time.
You guys make me feel bad that I only go home for a week during Christmas even though I only live an hour away.

Quick Reply

Latest