The Student Room Group

UCAS 2012 - Discuss your decisions **here**

Scroll to see replies

Torn between Bristol (AAA) and York (AAB) for Psychology. I'm tempted to just firm York, I'd happily spend three years there - but if I were to get the 3 As needed for Bristol and then went to York I'd feel like I was settling for second best. Then again, Bristol is significantly more expensive (to live in) than York.

Any words of wisdom? My head or my heart?
firmed QMUL for Law and Politics :smile:
Original post by SLlewellyn
Torn between Bristol (AAA) and York (AAB) for Psychology. I'm tempted to just firm York, I'd happily spend three years there - but if I were to get the 3 As needed for Bristol and then went to York I'd feel like I was settling for second best. Then again, Bristol is significantly more expensive (to live in) than York.

Any words of wisdom? My head or my heart?

Heart. York is the place to be (provided I make my offer). :wink:

Seriously though, it's important you weigh up the pros and cons of both but if you're drawn to one more than the other, it's where you should go. :smile:
Reply 983
Original post by JohnyTheLad
The location; as good as Southampton is, it's a bit dry over there. Although Southampton was more laid back and had better facilities.

The links that they have with F1 seemed legit, so I would say go for Southampton.

As much as I loved Bristol as a city, the course at Southampton seemed better for me and i preferred the lecturers lol :smile:
Therefore I have firmed Soton.

Btw Good Luck at Bristol :smile:
Manchester or UCL for Chemical Engineering? I've pored through the whole of TSR but I'm still undecided... HELP!
I got my unconditional for Glasgow Caledonian today for Psychology with Interactive Entertainment and I was so excited that I rejected my offers from Edinburgh and Dundee. I love Psychology and I love video gaming so I'm so excited to be able to do a degree that combines them both.
Reply 986
Original post by johnconnor92
Manchester or UCL for Chemical Engineering? I've pored through the whole of TSR but I'm still undecided... HELP!

UCL - much better rep
Reply 987
I just confirmed Chichester to study sport and exercise psychology :biggrin:
I'm in a really tough spot here :frown: I've applied for Computer Science and I've got offers from Edinburgh, Warwick, UCL(AAA), St. Andrews(AAB) and Durham(AAB).

I'm pretty sure I don't want to go to Edinburgh/Warwick but it's really hard choosing between those last three.

I loved Durham, liked UCL and didn't really feel anything for St. Andrews.

The thing is, UCL is such fantastic university and if I firm it I think it will do good for life after university. I loved Durham however, as I do Computer Science a lot of my colleagues aren't the most sociable types (most are great people but I've met a couple of nutjobs at open days) so the collegiate system would help me break out from that sort of circle. I could happily firm Durham but UCL is a really good uni and St. Andrews is ranked #2 for CompSci (iirc).

"argh" is all I can say, I've had 2 months to think about this but it's really going nowhere.

:angry:

edit: I don't really care about geographical location, and if it changes anything I've applied for deferred entry so I guess I have an extra year to reconsider but I'd have to pull out of this year's cycle.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nadine10
UCL - much better rep

I hope you know that the reputation of the ACTUAL course is pretty important. UCL is pretty **** for engineering and Manchester is the clear winner.

Unless you want to impress the ordinary person in the street, then 'overall reputation' shouldn't be the key factor.
Original post by Sweetcorn_1
I'm in a really tough spot here :frown: I've applied for Computer Science and I've got offers from Edinburgh, Warwick, UCL(AAA), St. Andrews(AAB) and Durham(AAB).

I'm pretty sure I don't want to go to Edinburgh/Warwick but it's really hard choosing between those last three.

The thing is, UCL is such fantastic university and if I firm it I think it will do good for life after university. I loved Durham however, as I do Computer Science a lot of my colleagues aren't the most sociable types (most are great people but I've met a couple of nutjobs at open days) so the collegiate system would help me break out from that sort of circle. I could happily firm Durham but UCL is a really good uni and St. Andrews is ranked #2 for CompSci (iirc).

"argh" is all I can say, I've had 2 months to think about this but it's really going nowhere.

edit: I don't really care about geographical location, and if it changes anything I've applied for deferred entry so I guess I have an extra year to reconsider but I'd have to pull out of this year's cycle.

UCL.
Original post by Sweetcorn_1

I think you should firm UCL and insure Durham. Your post seems to be slightly more pro UCL and the only thing you're worried about is the social side right? Well London is a great place to meet people and lots of people make friends, that are not on their course, without a collegette system assuming you'll be living in halls.

If however you do just miss your offer on results day and end up in Durham then you'll still have somewhere great to study.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 992
Advice, please.

I wish to study Spanish possibly with Japanese. I was originally planning on applying to Manchester, Sheffield and some over unis but because I didn't do as well as I hoped at AS level (CCD) I had to change at the last minute to applying to Portsmouth, Coventry, UCLAN and Oxford Brookes. I got offers from Portsmouth, Coventry and UCLAN, but I wasn't very impressed with them and I think I can do a lot better at my final A-Levels.

Should I decline all my offers now and take a gap year or accept 2 offers and wait and see how I feel at results day?

I wouldn't mind taking a gap year.
Original post by Pi!
Advice, please.

I wish to study Spanish possibly with Japanese. I was originally planning on applying to Manchester, Sheffield and some over unis but because I didn't do as well as I hoped at AS level (CCD) I had to change at the last minute to applying to Portsmouth, Coventry, UCLAN and Oxford Brookes. I got offers from Portsmouth, Coventry and UCLAN, but I wasn't very impressed with them and I think I can do a lot better at my final A-Levels.

Should I decline all my offers now and take a gap year or accept 2 offers and wait and see how I feel at results day?

You're best of firming your offers and seeing what you get on results day. If you make improve drastically, I'm sure you'd possibly have a chance of getting into Manchester or Sheffield via UCAS Adjustment or Extra/clearing, since I'm guessing the course is pretty undersubscribed.
Firmed Essex and insured Winchester.:colondollar:
Original post by Beebumble
I think you should firm UCL and insure Durham. You're post seems to be slightly more pro UCL and the only thing you're worried about is the social side right? Well London is a great place to meet people and lots of people make friends, that are not on their course, without a collegette system assuming you'll be living in halls.

If however you do just miss your offer on results day and end up in Durham then you'll still have somewhere great to study.

Original post by Tsunami2011
UCL.

I think you lot are right, I will firm UCL and insurance Durham. If I regret my decision later on I can just pullout and re-apply since I've gone for deferred entry.
Original post by Gumpert
Application sent: 7th October
Uni: Leeds
Course: Geography bsc
Decision [Offer/Rejection]: Conditional
Offer Grades: AAB
Date Offer Received:21-10-11
Reaction: Cheesy grin :biggrin: two offers now! Not going too badly

Hi!
I know your post is from a while ago but......
im thinking of applying for geography next year and was just wondering what kind of geography related stuff did you put in your personal statement?
Original post by Pi!
Advice, please.

As has been said, at this stage you should accept the offers you have (unless there is anything still accepting applications that you find interesting - it looks like you still have a 5th choice available) and then you will be keeping your options open until the summer. If at any point you do decide that it isn't for you (even once you have your results) you can then look around elsewhere in clearing, or the limited options available in adjustment. Do be aware though that around 500 people got an offer in UCAS adjustment last year in comparison to the 686,000 people who actually applied to UCAS. A lot of these people were doing things similar to clearing by swapping their subject choices rather than "upgrading" to a "better" university.

If you wouldn't mind taking a gap year and you still feel like you do now then there is nothing wrong with doing so. On results day you could ask your universities to defer your offer until 2013 which would then give you some space to work out if you want to reapply or whether you would like to stay where you already have a place. If you reapply you would lose the offers you have from this current cycle though. Having a gap year would be beneficial to a language application anyway as it would give you time to either strengthen your Spanish skills and/or go to Japan/start learning Japanese if you don't already know the language. Both of these would look highly respectable on a UCAS application.
Reply 998
This is potentially a very silly question.... but..

I'm thinking of firming LSE which is an AAA offer - this is my lowest offer. Is it worth putting Warwick (A*AA or AAA with Merit in AEA) as insurance, just incase for example I get A*A*B which technically wouldn't meet either offer, but there's a chance one might say no to, and the other would say yes...

Or should I just not put an insurance.
Original post by joshgoldman
This is potentially a very silly question.... but..

I'm thinking of firming LSE which is an AAA offer - this is my lowest offer. Is it worth putting Warwick (A*AA or AAA with Merit in AEA) as insurance, just incase for example I get A*A*B which technically wouldn't meet either offer, but there's a chance one might say no to, and the other would say yes...

Or should I just not put an insurance.

Put your 2nd choice as your insurance - if there's another university you want to go to after LSE as your first choice, then go for that as your insurance. If you hate all of your other choices and don't want to go there, then no, you do not have to put an insurance choice. As you've said you could get A*A*B and miss both offers. One university might have a space for you with those grades whereas the other one won't, it totally depends on numbers. However if you reject the offers now then you won't know if that would be the case or not as you can't then get them back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending