The Student Room Group

A2 Biology edexcel unit 6 coursework

I'm currently working on my A2 edexcel biology coursework but one thing I need is a journal/article

My title is: how does light intensity affect the abundance of bramble

i can't find any journals/articles and i've looked everywhere

Can somone please direct me to one or help me out?
My school deadline is straight after half term which isn't that long :erm:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by This Honest

I'm currently working on my A2 edexcel biology coursework but one thing I need is a journal/article

My title is: how does light intensity affect the abundance of bramble

i can't find any journals/articles and i've looked everywhere

Can somone please direct me to one or help me out?
My school deadline is straight after half term which isn't that long :erm:

Have you tried searching on Google scholar or Science Direct? The majority of papers you'll find will probably be subscription only so you'll only be able to view the abstract, but that's probably more than enough for the level you're at. What kind of paper exactly are you looking for?
Reply 2
Original post by Revd. Mike
Have you tried searching on Google scholar or Science Direct? The majority of papers you'll find will probably be subscription only so you'll only be able to view the abstract, but that's probably more than enough for the level you're at. What kind of paper exactly are you looking for?

Hey, yeah I've checked google scholar but I haven't checked science direct. I'll check it soon. I only need to get some information from a journal because the MS wants at least 1 journal reference :s-smilie:
I'm looking for any journal/article/PDF file that I can use which relates to my topic

Hey, yeah I've checked google scholar but I haven't checked science direct. I'll check it soon. I only need to get some information from a journal because the MS wants at least 1 journal reference :s-smilie:
I'm looking for any journal/article/PDF file that I can use which relates to my topic

I had a brief search, as I suspected most of the research papers are relating to far more specific investigations. For example, how light intensity affects ultrastructural morphology or formation of various biomolecules.

I did find this, which is perhaps slightly relevant although quite old: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0304423889900770 Other than that, I'd recommend you keep searching and tweaking your search parameters until you find something.
Reply 4
I had a brief search, as I suspected most of the research papers are relating to far more specific investigations. For example, how light intensity affects ultrastructural morphology or formation of various biomolecules.

I did find this, which is perhaps slightly relevant although quite old: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0304423889900770 Other than that, I'd recommend you keep searching and tweaking your search parameters until you find something.

Oh my gosh, thanks mike. I didn't realise you quoted me until someone gave me a link to my own thread :lol:
I managed to get a journal at the end, but I will defintely look into your suggested one.
+rep
Reply 5

Sorry to call you back again but that link doesn't allow me to view the full article.
I'm stilling looking for one :erm:
Hi,

you wouldnt by any chance be able to post the mark scheme for the coursework? I'm currently writing mine and have no idea whatsoever on what to write for my data analysis, and what the value given by a standard deviatgion calculator means :tongue:

Would be great if someone could link it.

Cheers!
Reply 7
Sorry to call you back again but that link doesn't allow me to view the full article.
I'm stilling looking for one :erm:

heyy i am in the middle of writing mine as well. Just wanted to ask, what are types of sources i should include in references? can it all internet based or does it have include journals and quotes from different books?
Reply 8
Original post by arnab
heyy i am in the middle of writing mine as well. Just wanted to ask, what are types of sources i should include in references? can it all internet based or does it have include journals and quotes from different books?

Hey, I handed mine in last week.

Your sources can be websites, books, you must have at least 1 journal etc
Doesn't really matter as long as you have the information and use it well :yep:
Reply 9
Hey, I handed mine in last week.

Your sources can be websites, books, you must have at least 1 journal etc
Doesn't really matter as long as you have the information and use it well :yep:

ahh thanks for clearing that up for me. one other question, what statistical did u use for your experiment? I am doing enzyme-inhibition related experiment and for my data, i was thinking of calculating the rate of reactions, standard deviation and doing spearman correlation and then evaluating them. Do you think thats enough?
Reply 10
Original post by arnab
ahh thanks for clearing that up for me. one other question, what statistical did u use for your experiment? I am doing enzyme-inhibition related experiment and for my data, i was thinking of calculating the rate of reactions, standard deviation and doing spearman correlation and then evaluating them. Do you think thats enough?

Ye that's alright mate.

I used spearman's rank :yep:
Reply 11
Hi, my experiment is sort of similar to yours: the effect of light intensity on the rate of photosynthesis. And at the moment the whole statistical test thing is really confusing me!!! Can I use spearman's rank test for data which is increasing in value so ranking it gives an overall answer of 1???? :s-smilie:
I really am lost!!

Any help would be very much appreciated... :smile:
Reply 12
Ye that's alright mate.

I used spearman's rank :yep:

Just one other questions, does the scientific journal has to relate DIRECTLY to what your experiment was about or can the scientific journal be lossely based on the experiment?
Reply 13
Original post by arnab
Just one other questions, does the scientific journal has to relate DIRECTLY to what your experiment was about or can the scientific journal be lossely based on the experiment?

Loosely based- as long as you can relate the journal to your report in any way, then you should be fine.
Reply 14
Original post by arnab

In mine, I have lots of journals and they all relate in little ways to my project itself so is doesn't have to be completely direct :smile: in fact, in some ways it could be something very different but you're just referring to it to talk about your method/controls etc. :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by brightset
In mine, I have lots of journals and they all relate in little ways to my project itself so is doesn't have to be completely direct :smile: in fact, in some ways it could be something very different but you're just referring to it to talk about your method/controls etc. :tongue:

Loosely based- as long as you can relate the journal to your report in any way, then you should be fine.

Thanks a lot for your help.

A question to both of you, how did you do the "5% confidence levels" for your data? I have finished everything except this part.
Reply 16
Original post by arnab
A question to both of you, how did you do the "5% confidence levels" for your data? I have finished everything except this part.

Um well, if you've already done your stats test (Spearman's, Mann-Whitney or T-test) then you have to find a critical values table - if you search it on google they're fairly easy to find. You can then compare the outcome of your stats test with the numbers in the critical values table.

The headings in the table should be something like 0.1, 0.5, 0.01, 0.05, 0.001

For 5% confidence levels you need to be looking at the 0.5 column. I'm not sure about Mann-Whitney or the T-test but I used Spearman's and you literally just compare your value and if yours is a greater magnitude (so even if it is negative the number is greater) then you have a statistically significant result at the 5% level. So that means you can be 95% sure the correlation is significant - obviously then, in your coursework you'd talk about why that is.

If the result is significant at the other levels then even better! :smile: Hope that helps and I hope I've got everything right :tongue: If I've said something that's not exactly right feel free to correct me :biggrin:
Reply 17
Um well, if you've already done your stats test (Spearman's, Mann-Whitney or T-test) then you have to find a critical values table - if you search it on google they're fairly easy to find. You can then compare the outcome of your stats test with the numbers in the critical values table.

For 5% confidence levels you need to be looking at the 0.5 column. I'm not sure about Mann-Whitney or the T-test but I used Spearman's and you literally just compare your value and if yours is a greater magnitude (so even if it is negative the number is greater) then you have a statistically significant result at the 5% level. So that means you can be 95% sure the correlation is significant - obviously then, in your coursework you'd talk about why that is.

If the result is significant at the other levels then even better! :smile: Hope that helps and I hope I've got everything right :tongue: If I've said something that's not exactly right feel free to correct me :biggrin:

I was going to say something simpler but this is a very good explanation :holmes:
Reply 18
I was going to say something simpler but this is a very good explanation :holmes:

Why thank you :top2:
Reply 19

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest