The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GreenLantern1
Ahh ok then :smile:

Wait, so do you take philosophy???? :smile:
Original post by blueray
Explain that a bit more :biggrin: That's part of another question :lol:

yeah I did that but might have not got full marks for doing that fully. I did bio then divided and simplified it then got something cubed something squared etc :s-smilie:
What was yous?

Yea that is all part of the same question. Basically it was as h approaches 0 the point P gets closer to point Q and it gets closer to becoming the tangent at PQ. So the formula we worked out in part ii) i think for the gradient you sub in h is 0 but then you get infinite. So you have to use the quadratic equation we formed for the gradient and sub in h=0 so the gradient is the constant which is 12. Then for the last part where you have to do it all over again for (2+h)^4 you binomially expand and get rid of the 16 as it was [(2+h)^4 -16]/h. Then you factorise it down to a cubic. Then like before let h=0 so it is the constant which was 32. That is full marks. Wish I had looked at some more C2 papers I would've seen this question! Arghh woulda saved me 20 minutes which I used trying to work it out!

It sounds like you did what I did. If you got 12 for iv) and 32 for v) that is right!
Original post by Deziah
Oh wow, that's really good. :biggrin:
I'm awful at listening.
I know haha, it's such a rewarding subject and can actually be used in everyday life.

That's true, i want to go into the medicine route so it would be amazing to do French or any other language:biggrin:
Reply 4563
Original post by lil-mazie
That's true, i want to go into the medicine route so it would be amazing to do French or any other language:biggrin:

Oh yeah, I get what you're saying. It'd be such an advantage if you had a language to go alongside your sciences, definitely. What are your other A-levels? :smile:
Original post by Deziah
Oh yeah, I get what you're saying. It'd be such an advantage if you had a language to go alongside your sciences, definitely. What are your other A-levels? :smile:

Biology and Chemistry also R.E the only easy A
How about you?
Original post by shmuxel
You guys are just lucky. My last exam is on the 27th June :frown:. Damn you German!

Haha same, but I got a whole week of no exams before that :smile: Are you feeling good for it?
Yea that is all part of the same question. Basically it was as h approaches 0 the point P gets closer to point Q and it gets closer to becoming the tangent at PQ. So the formula we worked out in part ii) i think for the gradient you sub in h is 0 but then you get infinite. So you have to use the quadratic equation we formed for the gradient and sub in h=0 so the gradient is the constant which is 12. Then for the last part where you have to do it all over again for (2+h)^4 you binomially expand and get rid of the 16 as it was [(2+h)^4 -16]/h. Then you factorise it down to a cubic. Then like before let h=0 so it is the constant which was 32. That is full marks. Wish I had looked at some more C2 papers I would've seen this question! Arghh woulda saved me 20 minutes which I used trying to work it out!

It sounds like you did what I did. If you got 12 for iv) and 32 for v) that is right!

I did it up to there I think :s-smilie: Glad I did add maths though :smile: Prepares me for a level a lot more :biggrin: Lol the ucas thing is rubbish!
Reply 4567
Original post by lil-mazie
Biology and Chemistry also R.E the only easy A
How about you?

French, biology, chemistry and maths. As you can see, I don't like writing haha. ;D
Original post by Deziah
French, biology, chemistry and maths. As you can see, I don't like writing haha. ;D

That's really good! What do you plan to be in the future? I wanna be a dentist or a french teacher
Original post by NomNomNom :)
Wait, so do you take philosophy???? :smile:

I take RE. I did OCR B. Did 2 Philosophy exams last year and 2 Ethics exams this year. What spec are you?
Original post by blueray
I did it up to there I think :s-smilie: Glad I did add maths though :smile: Prepares me for a level a lot more :biggrin: Lol the ucas thing is rubbish!

Yeah 20 points! It is meant to be half an AS-Level yet an A in AS is 60 UCAS points so whould we not get 30 UCAS points! Oh well as soon as we do A-Level Maths the points are deleted and basically as soon as we complete AS-Maths only those points count and not the addmaths. For me it is just the preparation and experience and the fact I don't have to waste 1 more year doing GCSE Maths!
Original post by usycool1
I'm doing Maths, Further maths, Biology, Physics and chemistry :biggrin:

Omg! Good luck with the maths! :biggrin: one of my mates is doing a similer course to you :redface:

( Maths, Further Maths , Economics , Buisness Studies )!!
Reply 4572
Original post by Deziah
Woo, I'm not alone. ;D
Do you know what you're predicted at GCSE? :smile:

I'm predicted an A* and am hoping I've achieved it, but I'm not certain. You?
Original post by mash.
Anyone got any end of year trips this year?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Going to Thorpe Park for the 3rd time, although this year, it will be amazing!:smile:
Definitely want to do it still! Wonder how long that lasts though lool

LOL! With that much motivation you'll definitely do it!
You do also like Physics right? Since your mad about maths:wink:
Reply 4575
Original post by Caz.123
I'm predicted an A* and am hoping I've achieved it, but I'm not certain. You?

I'm predicted an A. ;D
Original post by mash.
Anyone got any end of year trips this year?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Naw, My school is too poor even though they get funded more than a grammer... :frown:
Original post by justanotherindigo
Going to Thorpe Park for the 3rd time, although this year, it will be amazing!:smile:

Go on this

[video="youtube;HifEwyuL7ZE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HifEwyuL7ZE&feature=fvwrel[/video]

I was gunna go on it summer :P
Original post by justanotherindigo
LOL! With that much motivation you'll definitely do it!
You do also like Physics right? Since your mad about maths:wink:

Well I actually don't like physics hugely. I mean I love maths so I kinda am reli into Theoretcial Physics (the kinda thing Sheldon does from Big Bang) but then I don't like Experimental Physics much. So I like the mathsy part of it and all the theory and logical side. Not so much basic stuff like making circuits and things hehe! My favourite science is chemistry though, up there with maths and german :wink:

I hope I do it! What ae you into. Are you the journalism fanatic or is that someone else who has a similar dp?
Yeah 20 points! It is meant to be half an AS-Level yet an A in AS is 60 UCAS points so whould we not get 30 UCAS points! Oh well as soon as we do A-Level Maths the points are deleted and basically as soon as we complete AS-Maths only those points count and not the addmaths. For me it is just the preparation and experience and the fact I don't have to waste 1 more year doing GCSE Maths!

Yeah unis only accept top 3 subjects ucas points anyway.