The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Beebumble
Hmm I get that sometimes especially if I havn't eaten much but if you're really concerned it's always best to check things out with a doctor.x

Yeah I'm going to do that, was planning it already considering I was showing a few symptoms recently.
Original post by Stratos
I have stress related anxiety and seem to have high adrenaline levels which cause me to be a bit light headed and dizzy, it gets to be a pain but I'm trying to reduce the anxiety with a better diet and exercise hopefully.

But I was wondering if it was normal to feel light headed when moving and slightly tired.

For some reason I feel like you are a really important member, like a mod or something... Maybe its the big, dark, imposing avatar.... Anyway, that's slightly irrelevant, I just have this feeling of not being qualified to advise you :tongue:

Back to the point, I would definitely see your GP if you haven't already, because the lightheaded and dizziness could be a symptom of something worse like.... low blood pressure, anaemia? (no expert). Are you a healthy weight? If you are underweight or malnourished, this could also be a possible cause. Either way, definitely see your doctor for something as specific as these physical symptoms.

Edit: Ah, I see i was beaten to it, well done BeeBumble :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 162
Original post by Amwazicles
For some reason I feel like you are a really important member, like a mod or something... Maybe its the big, dark, imposing avatar.... Anyway, that's slightly irrelevant, I just have this feeling of not being qualified to advise you :tongue:

Back to the point, I would definitely see your GP if you haven't already, because the lightheaded and dizziness could be a symptom of something worse like.... low blood pressure, anaemia? (no expert). Are you a healthy weight? If you are underweight or malnourished, this could also be a possible cause. Either way, definitely see your doctor for something as specific as these physical symptoms.

Edit: Ah, I see i was beaten to it, well done BeeBumble :wink:

One of my hypotheses was that it could either be high blood pressure or low since they share the same symptoms for my current condition, and considering it is adrenaline being released due to stress I'm leaning towards high blood pressure for now, and my pupils are also dilated.
Original post by Stratos
One of my hypotheses was that it could either be high blood pressure or low since they share the same symptoms for my current condition, and considering it is adrenaline being released due to stress I'm leaning towards high blood pressure for now, and my pupils are also dilated.

I see what you mean. I would definitely urge you to go to the doctor as soon as you can, that way we can all stop worrying about you! (and so can you :giggle: )

:doctor:

Good luck :smile: :hugs:
Well I haven't managed to see my GP yet but I'm not doing too well.
Reading through this thread has made me realise that I may have underestimated the extent of my problems.

I know I have a kind of OCD but I never thought too much of it before... Like throwing all of the clothes out of my wardrobe and putting them back in colour order.. Washing my hands like 6 or 7 times when I'm in the bathroom..

I can relate to what someone posted earlier about the pigeons too, when I'm walking through a busy town and there are pigeons around, I get nervous that if one flies I'm going to flinch and draw attention to myself..

I don't understand my anxiety at all.. The lines between feeling good and bad are so blurry, for example, the 5 lads in my college group are great, really funny etc.. We'll walk down to the cafe at break time, chatting and joking, then when I go to sit down alone while I wait for the them to get a coffee or some food, it kicks in. Then they come back over and it's fine. But then, all but 1 of them might leave, and it comes back. Awkward silence and I get scared to speak.

I think my anxiety has ups and downs, in the way that it's always there, but when it was really bad, eg. A year ago before I started college or recently as I'm coming to the end of the course, it's a lot worse.

Because it's mainly social anxiety, when I get home in the evening I'm fine, I see my family, have a cuppa and relax. But when it's bad, it follows me around, like now, I'm up at 1am, on my phone in bed, teared up, typing this. And it's when it gets bad like this that I get depressed, as I stop having the contrast between anxious and relaxed.

And then I end up doing stupid stuff.. I cut my arms up a few nights ago :frown:

I need to do something, I'm moving from birmingham to Newcastle in 3 months and there is no chance I'll last there if I'm still like this.

I know medication is only a short term answer but proper long term treatment takes a long time, and I dont think I could even start any kind of therapy in my current state....
Off to bed now night night anxious freaks :wink:

:hugs:

CdSmith, I really want to talk to you about your post but I am going to wait until I am more awake and have more time tomorrow. Hang in there :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cdsmith1990
Reading through this thread has made me realise that I may have underestimated the extent of my problems.

I know I have a kind of OCD but I never thought too much of it before... Like throwing all of the clothes out of my wardrobe and putting them back in colour order.. Washing my hands like 6 or 7 times when I'm in the bathroom..

I can relate to what someone posted earlier about the pigeons too, when I'm walking through a busy town and there are pigeons around, I get nervous that if one flies I'm going to flinch and draw attention to myself..

I don't understand my anxiety at all.. The lines between feeling good and bad are so blurry, for example, the 5 lads in my college group are great, really funny etc.. We'll walk down to the cafe at break time, chatting and joking, then when I go to sit down alone while I wait for the them to get a coffee or some food, it kicks in. Then they come back over and it's fine. But then, all but 1 of them might leave, and it comes back. Awkward silence and I get scared to speak.

I think my anxiety has ups and downs, in the way that it's always there, but when it was really bad, eg. A year ago before I started college or recently as I'm coming to the end of the course, it's a lot worse.

Because it's mainly social anxiety, when I get home in the evening I'm fine, I see my family, have a cuppa and relax. But when it's bad, it follows me around, like now, I'm up at 1am, on my phone in bed, teared up, typing this. And it's when it gets bad like this that I get depressed, as I stop having the contrast between anxious and relaxed.

And then I end up doing stupid stuff.. I cut my arms up a few nights ago :frown:

I need to do something, I'm moving from birmingham to Newcastle in 3 months and there is no chance I'll last there if I'm still like this.

I know medication is only a short term answer but proper long term treatment takes a long time, and I dont think I could even start any kind of therapy in my current state....

OK I got too worried about you, so here goes...

First I want to urge you to see your GP as soon as possible. no matter how bad a state you are in, you are going to need help with this, and the sooner you get it the sooner you can start kicking it in the ass.

It seems that you have quite a mix of different kinds of anxiety and OCD, and this can seem overwhelming when you feel scared of many different things. I don't think anyone udnerstands their anxiety, but I can completely relate to the way it changes so much depending on whether you are alone or with others. I've never understood that much either, and always feel like I am being a hypocrite or something if can have fun with my friends then get home and cry for an hour.

I'm really worried to hear that you cut yourself. I want you to know before you do anything else that this is not the answer. You can get through this, but hurting yourself will only slow you down, not help.

You can start therapy in any state. You *need* to see your doctor as soon as possible - book an emergency appointment tomorrow if you have to, and tell them you need help, don't take no for an answer. In your condition, I think they are likely to offer you medication immediately, and I advise you think about that seriously, because sometimes you need a boost to get you in a place where you can really start working on the underlying issues. Make sure they also refer you to a therapist/counsellor, because equally, medication will not work alone.

You can get through this.

Can I ask a couple of questions, how come you are moving? And are you still living with your family?

Off to bed now night night anxious freaks :wink:

CdSmith, I really want to talk to you about your post but I am going to wait until I am more awake and have more time tomorrow. Hang in there :smile:

Nanight :smile: :hugs:
I pretty much had to discard the majority of my social "anxiety" issues when I started working in a busy shop and had to stand there serving with a queue of 10+ people all waiting restlessly to be served.
I'm finding it really hard to leave the house on my own.

Defiantly see your GP and ask about medication. My doctor said the best time to start taking them is during the summer because you're not so busy with exams and you can afford to feel drowsy when you haven't got school or anything. Drowsiness and other side effects should only last about two weeks.

Are you moving to uni? If so see what counselling they provide there as I'm sure they'll be able to sort something out quicker rather then waiting about 6months to get counselling via the NHS.

Good luck.:console:
My parents are arriving today, I'm anxious because of god knows what, and all I have to do is move two suitcases from a flat to another. I've done that at least 8 times at university, and through two countries, ffs, what's so different about this time?! My body has started to invent itchy spots (does anyone else get that?) and even though I can't see what can go wrong, my body seems to think there will be something.

Beebumble
Question for all the ladies on here. Do you ever feel like your anxiety gets worse during your 'time of the month'. I know mine does I just about cope during the other weeks but as soon as it comes I become a complete hormonal wreck!

I'm a wreck the week before, generally. I get a lot snappier and things upset me more easily, but other than that it's fine.

Original post by Stratos
I have stress related anxiety and seem to have high adrenaline levels which cause me to be a bit light headed and dizzy, it gets to be a pain but I'm trying to reduce the anxiety with a better diet and exercise hopefully.

But I was wondering if it was normal to feel light headed when moving and slightly tired.

I get that a lot, because I have a low blood pressure (and thus can't give blood, great…). Whether it's related or not to my anxiety, I don't have a clue, but it could well be. I always seem to get a load of random crap, like hypothyroidism, massive headaches, rashes, joint pains. Silly body.
Original post by Dreamseeker
I pretty much had to discard the majority of my social "anxiety" issues when I started working in a busy shop and had to stand there serving with a queue of 10+ people all waiting restlessly to be served.

That sounds good - a sort of 'flooding' approach, although I guess it wouldn't work for everybody.

:smile:
Original post by PianoPlayer93
I'm finding it really hard to leave the house on my own.

Why do you think that is?

Original post by Anatheme
My parents are arriving today, I'm anxious because of god knows what, and all I have to do is move two suitcases from a flat to another. I've done that at least 8 times at university, and through two countries, ffs, what's so different about this time?! My body has started to invent itchy spots (does anyone else get that?) and even though I can't see what can go wrong, my body seems to think there will be something.

I'm a wreck the week before, generally. I get a lot snappier and things upset me more easily, but other than that it's fine.

I get that a lot, because I have a low blood pressure (and thus can't give blood, great…). Whether it's related or not to my anxiety, I don't have a clue, but it could well be. I always seem to get a load of random crap, like hypothyroidism, massive headaches, rashes, joint pains. Silly body.

Your body is just manifesting all the stresses you re going through - that's perfectly normal. Symptoms like itchy spots and headaches are commonly caused by stress - and you sound like you are under a lot at the moment. I'm sorry to hear that your health hasn't been good recently, but I can't help but think it could be mostly down to stress and tension from your anxiety.

And remember, if in doubt.....

Original post by insignificant
Can I ask a couple of questions, how come you are moving? And are you still living with your family?

Sure..

I'm moving because I hate the Midlands, specifically the town I live in; Walsall. It's horrid and even just walking through it 3 days a week from the train station to the bus station brings me down, it's that bad..

I'm living with my family at the moment yeah, and while my family / home life is generally good, I really want to get away...
OK I got too worried about you, so here goes...

First I want to urge you to see your GP as soon as possible. no matter how bad a state you are in, you are going to need help with this, and the sooner you get it the sooner you can start kicking it in the ass.

It seems that you have quite a mix of different kinds of anxiety and OCD, and this can seem overwhelming when you feel scared of many different things. I don't think anyone udnerstands their anxiety, but I can completely relate to the way it changes so much depending on whether you are alone or with others. I've never understood that much either, and always feel like I am being a hypocrite or something if can have fun with my friends then get home and cry for an hour.

I'm really worried to hear that you cut yourself. I want you to know before you do anything else that this is not the answer. You can get through this, but hurting yourself will only slow you down, not help.

You can start therapy in any state. You *need* to see your doctor as soon as possible - book an emergency appointment tomorrow if you have to, and tell them you need help, don't take no for an answer. In your condition, I think they are likely to offer you medication immediately, and I advise you think about that seriously, because sometimes you need a boost to get you in a place where you can really start working on the underlying issues. Make sure they also refer you to a therapist/counsellor, because equally, medication will not work alone.

You can get through this.

Original post by Beebumble
Defiantly see your GP and ask about medication. My doctor said the best time to start taking them is during the summer because you're not so busy with exams and you can afford to feel drowsy when you haven't got school or anything. Drowsiness and other side effects should only last about two weeks.

Are you moving to uni? If so see what counselling they provide there as I'm sure they'll be able to sort something out quicker rather then waiting about 6months to get counselling via the NHS.

Good luck.:console:

Thank you guys..

I'm going to speak to my GP asap then I'll let you know what happens from there.

Really appreciate the kind words :smile:
That sounds good - a sort of 'flooding' approach, although I guess it wouldn't work for everybody.

Well I find it hard to get enjoyment out of things I do myself. I returned to the school today to drop off a text book and bumped into a friend who i said I'd text to meet in the holidays. My best friends is also coming down in July and I'm taking a holiday in August to Scotland. But while I'm not meeting any friends I seem to be trapped indoors. I'm probably just paranoid of what others think of me when I'm on my own as I notice them more without my friends.
I'm just going to read loads of books and play piano during the time in my comfort zone :colone:
I'm in a different frame of mind today I want to make him insanely jealous!
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys! I used to have what would be considered social anxiety. I never saw anyone about it, I managed to deal with it on my own and I now feel much more comfortable in social situations and speaking to people in general. I can now even give a presentation without too much difficulty, which would have been unthought off a few years ago. The only time I feel anxious now is during interviews and oral exams, and I really don't know what to do about that. Does anyone have any tips?

Presentations? How?!!

Quick Reply