The Student Room Group

Most underrated and overrated actors/actresses

As the title says really.

For me, the most underrated is Edward Norton. I think he is absolutely amazing and really brings the art back into acting, especially with American History X and Fight Club.

Most overrated has to be (I expect predictable negs for this) Will Ferrell. All his films bore me to death, primarily due to the fact that they are not funny. He is overrated and stated as being hilarious. I just find him dull and predictable.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I really don't like Mark Wahlberg :ashamed2:

Edit: wooow all the negativity, each to their own.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by my9rides

For me, the most underrated is Edward Norton. I think he is absolutely amazing and really brings the art back into acting, especially with American History X and Fight Club.

Most overrated has to be (I expect predictable negs for this) Will Ferrell. All his films bore me to death, primarily due to the fact that they are not funny. He is overrated and stated as being hilarious. I just find him dull and predictable.

Wasn't aware that Will Ferrell was particularly highly regarded?

I know Kevin Spacey is very well respected but I still think he's underrated. I saw him on stage as Richard III and it was maybe the most incredible performance I've ever seen on screen or stage.
Reply 3
Original post by chipskylark

Yeah same, I was going to say him before I thought of Will Ferrell. I mean, he's OK, but I really don't think he should be as highly regarded as he is. I just think he is a bit bland. Having said that, Entourage is epic.

I really like Edward Norton in both of those films, although a lot of his characters seem really samey.
Reply 5
Original post by MC armani
Wasn't aware that Will Ferrell was particularly highly regarded?.

The vast majority of people I know find him hilarious and that his movies are comedy genius.
Reply 6
Agreed with Edward Norton. I'd also say John Cazale, he was an amazing actor whose life was sadly cut short by cancer.
Reply 7
I'm pretty sure people don't underrate him but Christian Bale is great actor. As for overrated, I hate to say this but Michael Caine, a top bloke with a great career but I just don't seem him as a particularly great actor.
Reply 8
Original post by chipskylark

I thought the general consensus was that he's not really a great actor. Though. **** mass opinion. Most people have poor taste. And are stupid. I think that critics and people of good taste think him to be kinda ****ty in most things. Although he was decent enough in The Fighter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Megan Fox, she's WAY overrated.
Reply 10
Original post by concubine
I thought the general consensus was that he's not really a great actor. Though. **** mass opinion. Most people have poor taste. And are stupid. I think that critics and people of good taste think him to be kinda ****ty in most things. Although he was decent enough in The Fighter.

He's pretty good in The Departed too.

Completely agree with Will Ferrell - same character in every single movie. The only film I've ever enjoyed with him in was Step Brothers, and I think that was down to John C. Reilly.

Underated- Eva Green From Camelot
Overated- Jennifer Aniston From Friends
Original post by Tom B.
He's pretty good in The Departed too.

Completely agree with Will Ferrell - same character in every single movie. The only film I've ever enjoyed with him in was Step Brothers, and I think that was down to John C. Reilly.

tru dat.

I guess he might just be one of those bros that's been landed with ****ty roles. And I did ****ing detest Brian Cranston based upon watching 2 or 3 episodes of Breaking Bad, and I've got Breaking Bad on in the background now and he's ****ing fantastic.
Original post by MC armani

I know Kevin Spacey is very well respected but I still think he's underrated. I saw him on stage as Richard III and it was maybe the most incredible performance I've ever seen on screen or stage.

Ahh sounds amazing, I was gutted I didn't manage to get tickets!
Underrated- Adrian Brody

Overrated- Brad Pitt.
A lot of people seem to love Sarah Jessica Parker. She drives me nuts because her acting is the same in every single film.
I think that Jodie Whittaker is underrated...but thats probably because i'm a little bit in love with her ^^

I think Julia Roberts is fairly overrated

Please quote and explain negs please :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Kevin Spacey is the best actor I've ever seen (maybe joint with Jonny Depp)

Most overrated (I don't think he's that highly rated but he's in so many films) has to be Nicholas Cage.
Reply 18
Sean faris

Thought he did a great job for Never Back Down
Reply 19
liam neeson is underrated i feel.

Quick Reply

Latest