The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Bad things about Royal Holloway?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Schemilix

Arguments are fun, but they're generally useless outside of debating societies and seminars. :biggrin:

I would strongly disagree. I wasn't going to reply back to this ( the joys of school) but i cannot let this go unattended... arguments are part of the everyday circle of life! They make our society what it is, without them Britain would be a happy, docile place, instead of the mean rain all year round country it is.

I don't know what it is, must be the hot chocolate keeping me awake :colone:
or maybe i just like arguing to much. Yh its probably that :rolleyes:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by Forget that
I would strongly disagree. I wasn't going to reply back to this ( the joys of school) but i cannot let this go unattended... arguments are part of the everyday circle of life! They make our society what it is, without them Britain would be a happy, docile place, instead of the mean rain all year round country it is.

I don't know what it is, must be the hot chocolate keeping me awake :colone:
or maybe i just like arguing to much. Yh its probably that :rolleyes:

I enjoy a good argument, I just said they were useless. :wink:

(I'm off to bed folks so when I don't reply it's not me ignoring you. Felt I should say it since we're talking quite quickly.)
Reply 62
*pops head into thread*
hehe... a girl goes for a week or so n this happens :3

so basically -
the rooms can be hot n stuffy at times
*SOME* places are expensive
limited night life
expensive at times

well... uni is expensive anyway, might as well go in debt in style!
hot and stuffy... well personally, that is absolutely fine - i get cold very easily, will be a nice break!
limited night life... well then the people who want to rave every night and not think about doing work will have to stand back... what ever shall the people who work alot do? the reason they probably only have one nightclub open on saturday is to set out a message of "shouldnt you be doing work??"

thats my opinion, by the way.

the one thing i did note, ill add on here, is that the "main lecture theatre" seemed rather small.
THIS MAY BE because there were alot of people in it on open day. but i was abit startled that it was smaller than other lecture halls, when this was supposed to be the "main" one...

thanks for reading :smile: xx
Reply 63
and now, to show my true passion for going to the uni... here is my answer :P

Original post by mackemforever
Let me give you the full list from somebody I know who switched to my Uni after spending his first year at Royal Holloway.

Outdated accommodation. there is a bed, there is plumbing, there is a roof over your head.... i think thats fine accomodation tbh
No nightlife. actuall theres cool nightlife... i went on the open day and saw what happens at the end of the year, and also about the silent disco. i cant wait for the silent disco.
Too expensive. plymouth uni costs £6,400 or so for a small room, no seating area and a small kitchen. shared. small fridge too. yet for £5,400 or whatever it was, you can get a bigger room than plymouth, bigger kitchen, a seating area, and general openness. (i say plymouth because my boyfriend is there at the moment, just using it as an example, i am sure the uni is great!)
Awful gym. so? theres a park within walking distance. why go on running machines when you can run in the park?
Sub-standard lecturers. OK this i dont have an answer for. i shall be aware and look. but psychology is like 6th in ranking, i forgotten what english is. im sure it isnt that bad
Virtually no support outside of lectures. there are 2 libraries... and there are also friends who do the subject. if you dont ask for support, you wont get support, thats a teacher's motto at my current school
Not enough societies. being involved in a group scares me sometimes (communication issues). the less stress of finding a society i can fit into the better...
Virtually no funding from the Uni for any society meaning that they are all struggling, sports clubs using 10 year old kit, that kind of thing. no funding... well parents can give me money. they are letting me be independant, but if i need help they are there.... as someone said below about their debating society, im sure itll be just fine

Thats about it from the top of my head although I'll ask him tomorrow and I'm sure there are one or two things that I'm missing out. feel free :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by megfashion

the one thing i did note, ill add on here, is that the "main lecture theatre" seemed rather small.
THIS MAY BE because there were alot of people in it on open day. but i was abit startled that it was smaller than other lecture halls, when this was supposed to be the "main" one...

thanks for reading :smile: xx

I believe it's called "Main Lecture Theatre" because it's the main one in Founder's (and as that was the original building of the college, it was obviously considered the main one generally at first, haha), even though it's certainly one of the smaller lecture theatres on campus. I don't think it's that small, though, considering it takes our 180 strong year quite comfortably. I'd say its capacity is about 200. But in comparison to the Windsor Auditorium, for example, which is probably about double the capacity, it is pretty small.
Reply 65
Original post by llacerta
I believe it's called "Main Lecture Theatre" because it's the main one in Founder's (and as that was the original building of the college, it was obviously considered the main one generally at first, haha), even though it's certainly one of the smaller lecture theatres on campus. I don't think it's that small, though, considering it takes our 180 strong year quite comfortably. I'd say its capacity is about 200. But in comparison to the Windsor Auditorium, for example, which is probably about double the capacity, it is pretty small.

oooohhh i seeeeeeee... i thought it meant it was the biggers in founders :3 :P i is special... maybe i shouldnt go RH..... :P
Reply 66
Original post by megfashion
oooohhh i seeeeeeee... i thought it meant it was the biggers in founders :3 :P i is special... maybe i shouldnt go RH..... :P

It is the biggest in Founders...cos it's the only one :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest