The Student Room Group

Southampton Nursing???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by glf2110
Last year they emailed me back the next day to confirm they had marked me in as attending.

Oh thanks, i only emailed this evening so may get one in the next few days if not i will call them :smile: How was your interview for it last year ? are you at southampton now ? :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Lauren12
Oh thanks, i only emailed this evening so may get one in the next few days if not i will call them :smile: How was your interview for it last year ? are you at southampton now ? :smile:

Im doing Child branch at Southampton. :smile: Love it here. The interview was lovely, the best of all of mine last year. We discussed Surestart and other health stuff in the news. All the other applicants were really nice too, infact Im studying with one of them now and also someone who was at my Manchester interview. Everyone got a chance to speak which was good. The staff were really nice, esp the admissions tutor, Jim Bird. They were very encouraging. I really enjoyed the afternoon. Can't recommend Southampton more highly. good luck. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey, i applied to Nursing at Southampton and got rejected after the selection day. Its tough there cus they have cut back on alot of places and there are only about 30 now available for child nursing, you have a better chance for adult nursing. You have to be very prepared, read everything they send you and get involved with the group interviews. With the group interviews you get split up into groups of about 5 or 6 then given a topic to talk about for about half an hour. My topic was underage drinking so that is the sort of social topics you are looking at. Good Luck though!
Reply 23
Original post by glf2110
Im doing Child branch at Southampton. :smile: Love it here. The interview was lovely, the best of all of mine last year. We discussed Surestart and other health stuff in the news. All the other applicants were really nice too, infact Im studying with one of them now and also someone who was at my Manchester interview. Everyone got a chance to speak which was good. The staff were really nice, esp the admissions tutor, Jim Bird. They were very encouraging. I really enjoyed the afternoon. Can't recommend Southampton more highly. good luck. :smile:

Im looking forward to it, have been wanting to do this for a few years now and i applied last year to all the university but not southampton and got into canterbury but didnt get one of the grades i needed to get in, so here i am again applying and this year southampton is the only one i got a interview for ! So i really want to get in this year as i cannot be doing with waiting another year !! lol :smile:
Reply 24
Im looking forward to it, have been wanting to do this for a few years now and i applied last year to all the university but not southampton and got into canterbury but didnt get one of the grades i needed to get in, so here i am again applying and this year southampton is the only one i got a interview for ! So i really want to get in this year as i cannot be doing with waiting another year !! lol :smile:

CCC was one of my interviews last year too but I Firmed Soton and Insured Brighton. Southampton have certainly allowed a drop of a grade or two with results in the past. If they like you, they want you. It appears that they look more at the person than the academics. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by glf2110
CCC was one of my interviews last year too but I Firmed Soton and Insured Brighton. Southampton have certainly allowed a drop of a grade or two with results in the past. If they like you, they want you. It appears that they look more at the person than the academics. Good luck. :smile:

I am from Brighton so i applied for there and got a interview but really wanted CCC but didnt get it this year for a unknown reason seeing as i have the grades they wanted last year now ?? lol oh well their loss lol I hope i get it, thankyou :smile: !!!! :biggrin:
Reply 26
I am from Brighton so i applied for there and got a interview but really wanted CCC but didnt get it this year for a unknown reason seeing as i have the grades they wanted last year now ?? lol oh well their loss lol I hope i get it, thankyou :smile: !!!! :biggrin:

CCC's loss. Southampton's better! :biggrin:
Reply 27
Yeah i sent it this evening to say im going lol i havent got a reply either yet not sure if they do or not? what branch have you applied for ?

Child, so nervous :frown: what about you?
Reply 28
Has anyone any advice on what to read up on for the group interviews? I am really nervous and want to get in as it is my first choice! Also, to what level is the maths and english? Is it beyond GCSE?
Reply 29
Original post by Bro_Bro
Has anyone any advice on what to read up on for the group interviews? I am really nervous and want to get in as it is my first choice! Also, to what level is the maths and english? Is it beyond GCSE?

Read the pre-read and make sure you read current health issues (I used the BBC news health website last year). The maths can be a little tricky but is fine. Certainly NOT beyond GCSE and they don't expect you to get 100%. English was just writing a few paragraphs. Dress professionally and enjoy the afternoon. :smile:
Reply 30
Okie doke. Thank you! I have been keeping an eye on stuff on the bbc news health for Glasgow next week but only a couple of things have really jumped out at me.. Hopefully that is enough/they are the topics that come up :s-smilie: Ok, well I did well in it at GCSE so hopefully it comes back to me! haha.. not that I can remember anything!! Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Bro_Bro
Okie doke. Thank you! I have been keeping an eye on stuff on the bbc news health for Glasgow next week but only a couple of things have really jumped out at me.. Hopefully that is enough/they are the topics that come up :s-smilie: Ok, well I did well in it at GCSE so hopefully it comes back to me! haha.. not that I can remember anything!! Thanks for your help :smile:

Ive got a interview on the 28th, are you going then too ? what branch you applied for ?
Reply 32
Original post by Bro_Bro
Hey!
Yeah I have applied to do the same course but haven't been told about the selection day :frown: Do you know if it is the only one? Would be gutted if didn't get to go! Where else have you applied? I have been invited to an assessment day for Cardiff and don't know what to expect :/

xx

Sorry about the late reply, I doubt its the only one thinking about how many people apply and how many people they interview! :smile: have you heard anything back? im so nervous.. staffordshire sent me a letter inviting me for an interview the next day too so now its like arghh!
Reply 33
Original post by Bro_Bro
Ah right, have you just heard back about the Adult's Nursing then? Congratulations btw :biggrin: and Aww I so hope this is the cause for us both as well ! Where else have you applied?
Good luck to you as well :smile:

hey yes well the dual course adult and child, ive applied and got interviews from birmingham, staffordshire and worcester and today was 'unsuccessful' with Keele, tough stuff, hows your uni app going?? (:
Reply 34
it was good guys! tests weren't too bad and neither was the group activity so, youll be fine :smile: but i know my chances are slim as there are 12 places on the dual courses xxx
Reply 35
Original post by Bethmunch
hey yes well the dual course adult and child, ive applied and got interviews from birmingham, staffordshire and worcester and today was 'unsuccessful' with Keele, tough stuff, hows your uni app going?? (:

It has picked as of recently, thank goodness :smile: Got interviews for Southampton, Cardiff and Liverpool and an unconditional offer for Glasgow, so I am pleased so far :biggrin: Got Southampton on the 7th March and I am so worried for it cause the policy papers are HUGE and I have to read both for the dual course :s-smilie: Also, not sure what to expect in the english tests and group discussions... CAN ANYONE HELP???
Reply 36
If i remember rightly for the english, if it is still the same as last year they ask you questions about the paper, i would also have a look around the time at health news e.g. bbc news. They might ask something like that but i dont think it will be that bad. I cant remember much about the group discussion someone might be able to answer that
Reply 37
Original post by fox1993
If i remember rightly for the english, if it is still the same as last year they ask you questions about the paper, i would also have a look around the time at health news e.g. bbc news. They might ask something like that but i dont think it will be that bad. I cant remember much about the group discussion someone might be able to answer that

I am so worried about the english, I have just looked at the policy papers and they are HUGE! I am applying for the dual cours so have to loook at both, kids is like 114 long!!!! What sort of detail do they expect you to know it in?
Thank you for getting back to me :biggrin:
Reply 38
I am doing the dual field adult and child now, but when i applied i had been doing adult so only read that one, but when i did it i read the summary as didn't have much time to read it, and got away with only knowing a little bit, just blag your way through the writing.
Reply 39
I'm on Child nursing, Sure Start came up and current health issues. I used BBC news/health too. The English was easy, we just bullet pointed some issues. I think by that stage they liked us. :smile:

Quick Reply