The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Unit 4 26/01/12 PM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by farhanyen
I got 106 2 marks from 90% but my unit 6 mark of 56/60 compensates for it
Avg 90% for A2 so far...

congratss !!! i got 98 but im happy its an A at least !!
finally A* in chem yayayay hopefully continue the winning streak
biology edexcel was rubbish though everyone did badly :frown:
hope everyone did well/got what they wanted
this paper was terrible!
i just realised it was the activation energy graph (working the activation energy) and the end question about the colour change of the bubble bath that cost me.....

i would have gained 8 marks there which would have given me a solid A. I got 88 ums. This paper did a good job and exposed my true exam weakness (not being thorough on every single concept)

so im gonna really knuckle down for the retake in june and aim for my A overall.....

well done to the rest of you for getting such brilliant results :biggrin:
Original post by James A
i just realised it was the activation energy graph (working the activation energy) and the end question about the colour change of the bubble bath that cost me.....

i would have gained 8 marks there which would have given me a solid A. I got 88 ums. This paper did a good job and exposed my true exam weakness (not being thorough on every single concept)

so im gonna really knuckle down for the retake in june and aim for my A overall.....

well done to the rest of you for getting such brilliant results :biggrin:

thanks
im sure you will do well!
Reply 1324
anyone know the raw mark to ums conversion?
Avg 90% for A2 so far...

Hye well done for your unit 4 result, now can I ask how you managed such a good mark in Unit 6, any tips you could give me?
As I got 102 in unit 4 but last yr flopped my isa and got a D, and a repeat performance would destroy all chances of an a* for me:frown:
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
Hye well done for your unit 4 result, now can I ask how you managed such a good mark in Unit 6, any tips you could give me?
As I got 102 in unit 4 but last yr flopped my isa and got a D, and a repeat performance would destroy all chances of an a* for me:frown:

I think he may be an international student? As the /60 is the UMS and internationals could take the 'alternative to the practical' paper this january.

As for the ISAs which are taken in school, how many have you done?
I've done two and ive dropped one mark so far. Hoping I don't drop anymore marks.
Avg 90% for A2 so far...

Original post by EffKayy
I think he may be an international student? As the /60 is the UMS and internationals could take the 'alternative to the practical' paper this january.

As for the ISAs which are taken in school, how many have you done?
I've done two and ive dropped one mark so far. Hoping I don't drop anymore marks.

Ahh that makes sense.. we have not done any yet so starting in a few wks time and our head of chemistry does not even tell us our results for each isa so we have no idea how we do(thats what happened last yr i expected a B lol).. Wo well done:biggrin:.. 38/40 was an a* in the isa last year so hopefully you will get that
How did you do in unit 4?
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
Ahh that makes sense.. we have not done any yet so starting in a few wks time and our head of chemistry does not even tell us our results for each isa so we have no idea how we do(thats what happened last yr i expected a B lol).. Wo well done:biggrin:.. 38/40 was an a* in the isa last year so hopefully you will get that
How did you do in unit 4?

Really?! I thought teachers had to tell you what you got? Last year I scraped an A, however I had to re-do one of my ISAs as there were two tasks available and I got 8/14 in the first one (hess's cycle) then replaced it with a titration and got a higher mark. If we weren't allowed to know our mark then ALL our marks would be low! Haha good luck for the A2 ISA's - the ones i've done are not difficult.

I got 108/120 in unit 4, very pleased. Well done on your mark too :smile:
Original post by EffKayy
Really?! I thought teachers had to tell you what you got? Last year I scraped an A, however I had to re-do one of my ISAs as there were two tasks available and I got 8/14 in the first one (hess's cycle) then replaced it with a titration and got a higher mark. If we weren't allowed to know our mark then ALL our marks would be low! Haha good luck for the A2 ISA's - the ones i've done are not difficult.

Apparently not, he says I have no right to know the results and tells me no point as they are heavily moderated... Yh we did titration one as well last year, thank god there wernt any hess cycle still can not get my head around that topic.. Thanks hopefully, wow well done mate:biggrin: yh its alright but I am recalling my paper as one of my friends brought back his paper and apparently one of the pages hadnt even been marked:smile:
CHEM5 looks solid!!!!!! ****.
Original post by EffKayy
CHEM5 looks solid!!!!!! ****.

Really? Nothing difficult in the unit, just a lot to remember.
Original post by NutterFrutter
Really? Nothing difficult in the unit, just a lot to remember.

The A2 textbook (Edexcel one) is confusing me a lot on the electrode potentials bit? Its really waffly and I kinda dont get it? I get the CGP guide though but it seems simple............?

Dunnooooooooooooooo.....
Original post by EffKayy
The A2 textbook (Edexcel one) is confusing me a lot on the electrode potentials bit? Its really waffly and I kinda dont get it? I get the CGP guide though but it seems simple............?

Dunnooooooooooooooo.....

It is simple, the Edexcel textbook is awful in explaining it, much of the Electrode Potentials section is waffle (like you said). CGP revision guide explains it well but not fully. Anything you really don't understand in the section?
Original post by NutterFrutter
It is simple, the Edexcel textbook is awful in explaining it, much of the Electrode Potentials section is waffle (like you said). CGP revision guide explains it well but not fully. Anything you really don't understand in the section?

I actually understand it with the CGP guide - like all the calculations, concepts but the edexcel book :s-smilie: :s-smilie:.

We also got given another revision booklet on this topic (letts?) and that seems quite good.

Which bits are missing?!? I need to knowwwwwwww and i need an A!!! haha thanks.
Original post by EffKayy

how did you manage the 108UMS? For the electrode potentials, ask George.
Original post by .snowflake.
how did you manage the 108UMS? For the electrode potentials, ask George.

Well I had the CGP guide, Facer, and the normal edexcel textbook. Mainly used the CGP guide - but used the edexcel textbook for additional notes. Oh and carefully listened in lessons - I have one of the best teachers EVER.

Facer is a bit too rambly... irrelevant at time. So I don't really use that as much.

What do you use?
I was wondering if someone could link me to the CGP guide? I'm having trouble finding it =| .. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply