The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by DreamKitty
What is the best/most interesting fun role at Sainsburys?
What does everyone find is most interesting?

GM for the win.
Lots of variety; seasonal change, plinth change, range reviews, serving customers on tills, entertainment chart change, entertainment new promotions, general replen, dress in new lines, FOA, MAR, newspapers and mags, oh so fun RGIS, advising customers about products, click and collect, electrical returns to depot, GM forum on connect, moan about Yodel, huge entertainment displays, twighlight breaking dawn t-shirts only available in ladies and size XL which is no way XL more like XXS.

So yeah gotta love GM. although i'd quite fancy local store even though i prefer non foods.
Help! I've got this "DVD test" coming up. I need help. Please help guys.
We get paid this Friday right?
Original post by Negotiator
We get paid this Friday right?

'Fraid not. Next Friday, the 23rd.
Original post by jayseanfan
Help! I've got this "DVD test" coming up. I need help. Please help guys.

It's just common sense. Really, don't panic. Just relax and it'll be fine.
Reply 825
hey guys

got an interview for sainsburys(convinience customer service assistant) on thursday after passing the phone interview. theres just a few questions i need to ask.

1) what actually happens in the interview?
2)what do i need to bring?

p.s i would prefer you to answer this if you have had a recent interview (2012 or late 2011) in case anything has changed.

thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 826
Original post by joker1701
xx

The interview is informal. Wear smart - casual clothes.

You watch a DVD and answer some basic easy questions similar to the on-line questionnaire. Then there's a easy maths test, really easy. Then a personality questionnaire.

Then the informal chat where you'll be asked 2/3 questions like what do you know about Sainsbury's? Why you wanna work here? What is good customer service?

Then a chat about hours, pay, uniform size.

Bring your passport and just be yourself. It's much easier than you think.
Reply 827
I got a 'Colleague performance review' form today, not had one of these since at least 2009 when I joined.

No idea what to put :/
Reply 828
Original post by tif49
The interview is informal. Wear smart - casual clothes.

You watch a DVD and answer some basic easy questions similar to the on-line questionnaire. Then there's a easy maths test, really easy. Then a personality questionnaire.

Then the informal chat where you'll be asked 2/3 questions like what do you know about Sainsbury's? Why you wanna work here? What is good customer service?

Then a chat about hours, pay, uniform size.

Bring your passport and just be yourself. It's much easier than you think.

o yeah and in regards to the "what do you know about sainsburys" question, what could i say? loool
o yeah and in regards to the "what do you know about sainsburys" question, what could i say? loool

Just tell them what you do know about Sainsburys, although it might be worth doing a bit of research, have an idea of the various products Sainsburys sell, and things such as our online website, sainsburys bank etc.

Personally, when I do interviews, in the bit where you can ask what you like, I like to start with 'Tell me a little bit about yourself', as its gives you a good idea of what the person is like, and tends to make the candidate a little more relaxed. Sometimes I might ask them a few more questions about themselves and then the Why do you want to work at Sainsburys question :smile:
Reply 830

Say it's one of the biggest supermarket chains in the country. You pride yourself on great customer service and low prices. Great employer, great career opportunities, basically just big them up loads.

They might ask why you want to work here.

Don't mention money or free time. Say it is a great place to work with benefits and opportunities. And balah blah blah, you can just blag your way through it really.

More important is the DVD test though I think. If you mess up in that you won't get the job, don't worry it is pretty easy and straight forward though.
Reply 831
Anyone working in HR or as a Store Trainer?

There are 2 vacancies for each of these roles at my store and I want to apply desperately, but am wondering if I actually stand a chance?

It's an internal vacancy 24 hours a week, I've worked there for over 4 years now but am sick of the checkout dept, really feel like I need something new. I'm at uni so the hours suit me, evenings and saturdays as they've stated, and I'm studying a business degree so I have great knowledge of excel and all the admin bits and bobs, but all of the HR staff and Store Trainers in my store seem to be older, the store seems to like pushing students towards to more boring jobs and lesser responsibility, is this common across all stores??
Reply 832
Original post by *Jey_Loz*
Anyone working in HR or as a Store Trainer?

There are 2 vacancies for each of these roles at my store and I want to apply desperately, but am wondering if I actually stand a chance?

It's an internal vacancy 24 hours a week, I've worked there for over 4 years now but am sick of the checkout dept, really feel like I need something new. I'm at uni so the hours suit me, evenings and saturdays as they've stated, and I'm studying a business degree so I have great knowledge of excel and all the admin bits and bobs, but all of the HR staff and Store Trainers in my store seem to be older, the store seems to like pushing students towards to more boring jobs and lesser responsibility, is this common across all stores??

I think it's more of a case that younger people, especially those at uni don't want to added responsibility of these roles. I know 2 people who have recently moved to HR from Checkouts though, one of them is 19 I think and the other is about 25 maybe...so I don't think they will discriminate age wise, especially if you have 4 years experience of the job. I'm no HR manager but I'd imagine someone who has been with the company for that length of time would be a fairly good store trainer.

Another thing to think about entirely is that 24 hours is quite a big contract commitment while at uni. I'm between dropping out and enrolling elsewhere at the moment but when I was at uni before I don't think I'd have managed 24 hours every week. Especially when it comes up to exam time and you need more time off, it would be easier to just refuse overtime.

Having said that, checkouts sucks and I managed to get off it after only 3 months! I couldn't imagine working checkouts for 4 years :s-smilie:
Reply 833
Most HR roles are recruited internally - my area HR manager started off as a part time baker!

So definitely, go for it! :biggrin:
Reply 834
Original post by thatg
I got a 'Colleague performance review' form today, not had one of these since at least 2009 when I joined.

On the whole, these reviews are done simply to tick boxes. If fortune is on your side, and you have a decent leader, and what you put in your review is acted upon [i.e. what you can improve on], then they can be really substantial aids to your employment! :smile:

Just answer the questions honestly, they are fairly straightforward :biggrin:
Reply 835
Original post by thatg

One of the new one's where you have to review yourself? Ha, I didn't bother doing it, I just did it when my department manager wanted to talk through it...
Reply 836
Original post by tif49

More important is the DVD test though I think. If you mess up in that you won't get the job, don't worry it is pretty easy and straight forward though.

ahh ok cool,, whilst im here, might aswell tell me what the dvd test is like (if you want)
thanks for this by the way!
Reply 837
Original post by funkyfish08
Just tell them what you do know about Sainsburys, although it might be worth doing a bit of research, have an idea of the various products Sainsburys sell, and things such as our online website, sainsburys bank etc.

Personally, when I do interviews, in the bit where you can ask what you like, I like to start with 'Tell me a little bit about yourself', as its gives you a good idea of what the person is like, and tends to make the candidate a little more relaxed. Sometimes I might ask them a few more questions about themselves and then the Why do you want to work at Sainsburys question :smile:

cheers :smile:
Reply 838
Anyone else in this thread work Nightshift by the way?

I'm hoping to keep it up at the weekends when I go back to uni, just wondering if anyone else does this and if they find it's manageable alongside uni work.
Reply 839
ahh ok cool,, whilst im here, might aswell tell me what the dvd test is like (if you want)
thanks for this by the way!

I had my interview yesterday and today I got a text saying I got the job! :smile:

Hopefully you will too, the DVD is straight forward.

First you'll be shown some clips and you have to order from 1-3 what you'd do in that situation. Remember customer ALWAYS comes first and to always offer an alternative product if the one they want isn't in stock.

Then there is a attention to detail test where you'll be shown some clips and you have to pick out what's wrong. It'll be things like wrong labels, empty shelves, boxes on floor, man stealing alcohol, under-age drinker etc. It's really obvious.

Then there is a maths test, 10 questions. Really easy, don't wait for the video just steam through it yourself because one question at the end is something like, a customer buys 13 packets of tissues for 83p each. how much does he owe? You get some scrap paper so just be prepared to work that out.

Then there is a easy personality quiz. Just make sure you come across as a happy, smiley person in it. It's common sense really this one.

Then in the interview just answer the questions and show some enthusiasm. They'll ask you if you have any questions in the end, just ask some to show you're keen.

I asked 'what opportunities for promotion and progression within the store do you have?' and 'when can I expect to find out the result of the interview?'

So just be cool and hopefully you'll get it. Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending