The Student Room Group

Do you do Additional Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justinawe
FSMQ doesn't cover vectors then? My Additional Maths IGCSE does :biggrin:

Yeah but FSMQ is more advanced than IGCSE.

FSMQ covers AS Maths. Since there is minimal vectors in AS Maths it won't cover it.
Reply 61
Does Further Maths (Additional) count?
Original post by GreenLantern1
Yeah but FSMQ is more advanced than IGCSE.

FSMQ covers AS Maths. Since there is minimal vectors in AS Maths it won't cover it.

oh I'm not talking about the normal IGCSE, I mean the Additional Maths IGCSE, which cover AS Maths too (as well as parts of C3). The syllabus includes vectors/relative velocity.
OOOO Exam is in just over a month guys.

This should be a nice exam which I am looking forward to as it's maths!!!

Should be relatively straightforward; I hope so.

A it scary how generally 1/4 of people get As, 1/3 get Us and then roughly 10% get each of the other grades!!!
I'm just hoping that there is not too much stuff on trigonometric identities as that is the worst part of the course for me! :smile:
Original post by the A* guy
I'm just hoping that there is not too much stuff on trigonometric identities as that is the worst part of the course for me! :smile:

I find that so easy so I want lots of that. Looks like we have differing hopes!

I just want as little linear programming as possible. Don't wanna be drawing graphs all the time.

I just want as little linear programming as possible. Don't wanna be drawing graphs all the time.

Ditto! :biggrin:

EDIT: how can I get negged for this? :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)

Yep, looks that way, but i looked at many past papers and there is a pattern of some topics of the exam, and it implies that linear programming is very likely to come up! :smile:
Yep, looks that way, but i looked at many past papers and there is a pattern of some topics of the exam, and it implies that linear programming is very likely to come up! :smile:

I hope it is a Section A question rather than 12 marks worth on Section B eh!

But, if you are bringing up that point, loinear programming comes up on all but 1/2 papers, whereas some form of trigonometry - since it covers pure and applied (linear programming is only applied)- is on all the papers.
I hope it is a Section A question rather than 12 marks worth on Section B eh!

But, if you are bringing up that point, loinear programming comes up on all but 1/2 papers, whereas some form of trigonometry - since it covers pure and applied (linear programming is only applied)- is on all the papers.

I actually revised the trig identity stuff today and i don't really struggle with it anymore, just when its a wordy Question in section B, that might require some real thinking on my part. :biggrin:
Reply 70
Hoping for 100 UMS. :colonhash:

Wait, am I even doing this exam?
Reply 71
my school doesnt do additional maths is there anyway i can enter myself for this exam because its basically a free gcse
Original post by replay123
my school doesnt do additional maths is there anyway i can enter myself for this exam because its basically a free gcse

iT isn't a GCSE. It is an FSMQ; equivalent to half an AS Level - you get UCAS points for it.
Original post by Zhy
Hoping for 100 UMS. :colonhash:

Wait, am I even doing this exam?

No you'rew not.

You know in the march results thread you said you would get all 100% and I said I would get all 4 100%. Well guess who got 4 100%s :wink:
Reply 74
Thanks greenlantern for referring me to this page lol :P

I have to say I'm looking forward to this test, because the pressure is completely off for it... I have a question though, do you think 97/98 would be 100 UMS? Because although I'm confident in getting full marks raw there's always one or two questions in which I make really stupid mistakes towards the end of my working.

I am actually hoping for an unexpected question that poses an actual ''problem'' that requires a solution rather than almost every single question I've come across in past papers in school which have been extremely routine, it's basically like here are some numbers, now substitute into this formula/use this rule. It's a bit too easy most of the time.

edit: well numbers and unknowns obviously

second edit: I didn't want to sound arrogant which I realise I may have done, sorry lol!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ZakariaMar
Thanks greenlantern for referring me to this page lol :P

I have to say I'm looking forward to this test, because the pressure is completely off for it... I have a question though, do you think 97/98 would be 100 UMS? Because although I'm confident in getting full marks raw there's always one or two questions in which I make really stupid mistakes towards the end of my working.

I am actually hoping for an unexpected question that poses an actual ''problem'' that requires a solution rather than almost every single question I've come across in past papers in school which have been extremely routine, it's basically like here are some numbers, now substitute into this formula/use this rule. It's a bit too easy most of the time.

edit: well numbers and unknowns obviously

second edit: I didn't want to sound arrogant which I realise I may have done, sorry lol!

There is no UMS in this paper. They just do grade boundaries for raw marks and gvee you that.

So if they decide 70 is an A then if you get 70/100, rather than saying 80 UMS it will simply say 70 raw marks :wink: Just get an A , no one really minds too much about marks in this just the grade :wink:
Two Weeks to go! Hows everyone feeling about the upcoming exam? :smile:
Two Weeks to go! Hows everyone feeling about the upcoming exam? :smile:

Pretty calm. Done 3 past papers and averaging 98.5/100 :smile:
Reply 78
Totally relaxed; I'm least worried about this exam, it's only a case of full marks or not for me. However I do have two long exams that same day beforehand so that might add a bit of stress, but on the other hand I do have a short period immediately after the AM exam during which I can relax a bit (12 days) before my final four exams come at me! :P
Reply 79
You guys must be like einstienss i have no idea how to do anything in that booookk :angry: its really pissing me off i get like a mental block. I have it in like a week any help much appreciated !!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending