The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
Original post by BlodynTatws
Also, just a quick question - am I the only person who supports the badger cull here?

think the number of negs may give you a clue....
Original post by Imlovingmyradio
Dublin don't give offers its more if you get the grades you get in..well actually you arent guarenteed getting in with the grades you ar ethen put in a lottery and chosen its worth a shot maybe there is still some hope :smile:... I just have plan a gap year just in case ..I can't find your earlier post what page is it on ?:biggrin: I bet you will get AA

Haha! I wouldn't put any money on it if I were you!

My post is on this page, one up from your first post.

It's ALWAYS a good idea to have a back-up plan! Anyway, you've got stacks of time - have some fun before you get stuck into your career. You might not get another chance (you'll be too busy paying off your vet school debts once you've graduated!).
Nottingham have finally updated my track 3 days short of a month since my offer phone call!! :biggrin:

Definetly going to firm it!

and for those who have added me on fb and didn't realise I was on here... well you know who I am now!! :biggrin: :ninja:
Also, just a quick question - am I the only person who supports the badger cull here?

i'd happily support a solution that didn't involve culling if it would work but so far i think culling is the most effective tool that we have - so no, you're not the only person who supports the badger cull.
Just firmed Nottingham :woo: with the offer AAB

Bristol is my insurance with AAA.....

How does that work?!! :rolleyes: :tongue: :colonhash:

Buzzing right now!! :biggrin:
Original post by jacko111
think the number of negs may give you a clue....

I don't really see the need for people to have negged my post. When it comes to the cull there's always going to be disagreement and controversy. I for one support it as I've seen first hand the devastating effects of TB on our local farms. When the cull was proposed it gave some hope to us that something was being done to tackle this problem but once again welsh farmers are being let down by the government.

If you're so quick to judge my opinions I'd like to hear why you oppose the cull?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7986
just got feedback from Bristol, does anyone know if RVC give feedback? thanksss :smile:
Reply 7987
Original post by schizopear
it says on their website that they do :smile:

thank you!!! :biggrin:
Reply 7988
Is there any rvc students like steph lurking about still? I just wanted to know about the timetable etc and exams :smile:
Original post by dops
just got feedback from Bristol, does anyone know if RVC give feedback? thanksss :smile:

When did you request for feedback?? I'm just wondering when I'm going to get mine :biggrin:

Has anyone got feedback from Liverpool yet??
Reply 7990
Original post by beccac94
When did you request for feedback?? I'm just wondering when I'm going to get mine :biggrin:

Has anyone got feedback from Liverpool yet??

i emailed Bristol about a month ago asking and they replied a few hours ago! i have no idea about liverpool sorry! :smile:
Reply 7991

I don't really see the need for people to have negged my post. When it comes to the cull there's always going to be disagreement and controversy. I for one support it as I've seen first hand the devastating effects of TB on our local farms. When the cull was proposed it gave some hope to us that something was being done to tackle this problem but once again welsh farmers are being let down by the government.

If you're so quick to judge my opinions I'd like to hear why you oppose the cull?

I wasn't judging your opinions in fact and I didn't actually neg you. I think there are other options including vaccination. I know the devastation that is TB on farms as do most people on here. The government have admitted they should have vaccinated in the F&M outbreak....we are all entitled to our opinions sopme people dont think a badger cull is the ONLY answer...
Original post by Lucy_x
Is there any rvc students like steph lurking about still? I just wanted to know about the timetable etc and exams :smile:

I'm an RVC student...what do you want to know?
I wasn't judging your opinions in fact and I didn't actually neg you. I think there are other options including vaccination. I know the devastation that is TB on farms as do most people on here. The government have admitted they should have vaccinated in the F&M outbreak....we are all entitled to our opinions sopme people dont think a badger cull is the ONLY answer...

You may not have negged me but your snide little remark was enough. I didn't say that it was the ONLY answer, I simply said that I support it. I think it's the only feasible option at the moment that's going to actually come up with the results we need at the moment.
Reply 7994
Original post by kookabura
I'm an RVC student...what do you want to know?

There's a couple questions playing on my mind. You're probably thinking wait until September but yeah :colondollar:
I was told that you do exams before Christmas so you don't have to revise over the holidays and also, you know your work experience that you've done before can count towards your husbandary ems.. Is there any point in submitting it? Because I understand hat you have to do a report etc on it so do people just repeat their work experience so they actually know what theyre writing about. Finally, is the course like 9-5 as I get warned? :tongue:
Vet School is a culture shock for most UK students. Think A-levels took 2 years. You might cover the equivalent in 6 lectures. Yes be exam focussed- they are designed to let you know what you dont know and are a sampling exercise, but you need to realise that this is a 4 year project (final year is easy), where you have to quickly adapt to not been told every day that you are wonderful and a great pupil. You are now considered an adult and that means working very hard (cf the typical Arts or Science student who just pik their noses), being reflective and picking up clinical, motor and interpersonal skills.
At the same time compared to other courses, you join a family and you will find staff generally only too helpful. First name terms are the norm at most schools (except Cambridge where genuflection is mandatory).
Reply 7996
You may not have negged me but your snide little remark was enough. I didn't say that it was the ONLY answer, I simply said that I support it. I think it's the only feasible option at the moment that's going to actually come up with the results we need at the moment.

Snide?? Think that is a little unfair, it was just a comment no "snide" about it.... You said you support the badger cull you did not mention any alternative.......... read back your own comments and dont you be so quick to judge others!
Snide?? Think that is a little unfair, it was just a comment no "snide" about it.... You said you support the badger cull you did not mention any alternative.......... read back your own comments and dont you be so quick to judge others!

I don't see where I've been judgemental other than saying that your comment was snide which is how it came across on here. Saying I support the cull doesn't mean I'm opposed to alternatives, it means that at the moment I see the cull as being the most feasible means of tackling bTB. I think if anyone needs to do some re-reading here it would be yourself.
Original post by Lucy_x
There's a couple questions playing on my mind. You're probably thinking wait until September but yeah :colondollar:
I was told that you do exams before Christmas so you don't have to revise over the holidays and also, you know your work experience that you've done before can count towards your husbandary ems.. Is there any point in submitting it? Because I understand hat you have to do a report etc on it so do people just repeat their work experience so they actually know what theyre writing about. Finally, is the course like 9-5 as I get warned? :tongue:

I assume you'll be on the standard 5 year course? In which cases, unless things have changed suddenly, you can't pre-count any animal husbandry placements. That is only for people on the 4 year grad course - because it is very tight for them to try and fit 12 weeks of placement into one year! So like I say, assuming you are on the 5 year course you will have to do 12 weeks placement regardless of what you have done before vet school (that is 2 weeks equine, pigs, dairy, lambing and 4 weeks free choice). The 'report' is an A4 sheet for each placement with a few sections to write a paragraph on - things like description of the farming enterprise (stock no's/breed/management things etc), skills you learnt and so on. You also have to write an Animal Husbandry research project for the end of your second year - on some topic of your choice. Meaning you will need to decide on a topic so you can collect data for it whilst on your placement (an example might be are twin lambs more affected with watery mouth than single lambs - so you would collect data for that whilst on your lambing placement).

Exams - again, assuming you will be on the 5 year course. You will have an MCQ exam before christmas and before easter in both your 1st and 2nd year, so you don't have to revise over either of those holidays!! These aren't worth much (10% I think, but I might be slightly wrong). The main exams (3 written papers, an oral and a spot test) are in the summer - normally middle to end of June with results beginning to middle of July. Exams in 3rd - 5th year are a bit different (3rd year exams in May, 4th year exams before christmas and finals in the summer of 5th year).

Timetable - this isn't actually too bad. RVC has been decreasing the amount of lecture time, so you have more directed learnings, computer aided learnings etc. To me this is a good thing, as there is only so many hours of lectures you can listen to in a day without switching off!! However interesting the subject sitting and being talked at for too many hours isn't a good way to learn! You're timetable will often mean you are in uni for most of the day - but not have teaching time scheduled for all of it. You will normally have a couple of hours of lectures in the morning and then something in the afternoon - maybe a dissection, histology practical, directed learning etc. These are organised in sub timetable groups - so yours might be 1:00-2:00 and then you are done for the day, or it might be 4:00 til 5:00, so you are in until 5:00 but have several hours free to do work in the middle of the day. You will always have wednesday afternoon off. So like I say, the timetable isn't too bad, you will have a fair bit of free time during the day - so if you are organised with your time you can get through quite a lot of work then.

Does that answer your questions? Anything else? :-)
Original post by kookabura
I assume you'll be on the standard 5 year course? In which cases, unless things have changed suddenly, you can't pre-count any animal husbandry placements. That is only for people on the 4 year grad course - because it is very tight for them to try and fit 12 weeks of placement into one year! So like I say, assuming you are on the 5 year course you will have to do 12 weeks placement regardless of what you have done before vet school (that is 2 weeks equine, pigs, dairy, lambing and 4 weeks free choice). The 'report' is an A4 sheet for each placement with a few sections to write a paragraph on - things like description of the farming enterprise (stock no's/breed/management things etc), skills you learnt and so on. You also have to write an Animal Husbandry research project for the end of your second year - on some topic of your choice. Meaning you will need to decide on a topic so you can collect data for it whilst on your placement (an example might be are twin lambs more affected with watery mouth than single lambs - so you would collect data for that whilst on your lambing placement).

Exams - again, assuming you will be on the 5 year course. You will have an MCQ exam before christmas and before easter in both your 1st and 2nd year, so you don't have to revise over either of those holidays!! These aren't worth much (10% I think, but I might be slightly wrong). The main exams (3 written papers, an oral and a spot test) are in the summer - normally middle to end of June with results beginning to middle of July. Exams in 3rd - 5th year are a bit different (3rd year exams in May, 4th year exams before christmas and finals in the summer of 5th year).

Timetable - this isn't actually too bad. RVC has been decreasing the amount of lecture time, so you have more directed learnings, computer aided learnings etc. To me this is a good thing, as there is only so many hours of lectures you can listen to in a day without switching off!! However interesting the subject sitting and being talked at for too many hours isn't a good way to learn! You're timetable will often mean you are in uni for most of the day - but not have teaching time scheduled for all of it. You will normally have a couple of hours of lectures in the morning and then something in the afternoon - maybe a dissection, histology practical, directed learning etc. These are organised in sub timetable groups - so yours might be 1:00-2:00 and then you are done for the day, or it might be 4:00 til 5:00, so you are in until 5:00 but have several hours free to do work in the middle of the day. You will always have wednesday afternoon off. So like I say, the timetable isn't too bad, you will have a fair bit of free time during the day - so if you are organised with your time you can get through quite a lot of work then.

Does that answer your questions? Anything else? :-)

thanks kookabura! i appreciated that even though it wasn't aimed at me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending