The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8000
Original post by BlodynTatws
I don't see where I've been judgemental other than saying that your comment was snide which is how it came across on here. Saying I support the cull doesn't mean I'm opposed to alternatives, it means that at the moment I see the cull as being the most feasible means of tackling bTB. I think if anyone needs to do some re-reading here it would be yourself.

No I really don't need to re-read anything, but thanks for your suggestions anyway.
Reply 8001
Original post by Moo vet
Hi guys. Got my final rejection last thurs from RVC. Worst day of my life. I am completely heartbroken and have literally been in tears ever since. I cant sleep or eat anything. this has been my dream since i was 6 and everything i have done has been geared towards being a vet. The last few years have been so hard and stressful and i feel like I've let myself and everyone else in my family down. I got 3 interviews out of 4 and have 3 A * predictions and enough work experience so I don't really know what let me down apart from the fact that I'm not the most confident person ever. What makes it harder to bear is that 3 other people in my year got RVC offers and obviously they're all excited talking about accommodation and stuff while I'm quietly sobbing in a corner! I thought that the rvc interview had gone ok too! My head of year told me she was baffled as to why I'd missed out. I've asked for feedback so I guess I'll have to wait what that comes up with.

I'm definitely going to try again next year, but in
the meantime I'm terrified about having a gap year, and having no friends cos they've all gone off to uni. Anyone with any good gap year plans?

I'm thinking that anything I do will need to fit around the BMAT and applying/ interviews.

Congratulations to everyone with offers, I'm sure you know how lucky you are

Hi, I was in a very similar situation to you last year, i was rejected last year but two of my friends got vet offers. It was difficult but looking back I am so pleased I had a gap year, I grew up a lot and have a lot more confidence. I had so much fun on my work experience and conservation projects and it gave me so much more to talk about at interviews. And dont worry about your friends, i have kept in touch with all my good friends from school and made more friends this year on my placements. It may seem like a bad thing now but I can assure you that I dont regret it one bit. Good luck with applying in the future :smile:
Reply 8002
Congratulations to everyone with a place for 2012 if not keep the dream ALIVE!
Gap year or No gap year Hope it all pans out in the end!
Everyone deserves it....
My luck at times sucks... catching some chickens and a wing clips me in the face. I don't think anything of it..... then feel a trickle of liquid running down my face. I've managed to tear a small part of the the inside of my nostrils!! :colondollar:

Oh well, now doing revision with a plug of tissue up my nose! :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8004
Original post by Angry cucumber
My luck at times sucks... catching some chickens and a wing clips me in the face. I don't think anything of it..... then feel a trickle of liquid running down my face. I've managed to tear a small part of the the inside of my nostrils!! :colondollar:

i split my head open while cleaning kennels in my first ever week of work experience and the practice manager had to drive me to a&e haha i think that made a good 1st impression :P
Reply 8005
Original post by ellie157
Yeah I got my Liverpool rejection on Friday and Nottingham today so I'm definitely going to Bristol :smile: See you in October!

You had to wait a long time to hear from Nottingham! but yeah, see you in October! Any idea what halls you'll pick? theres so many to choose! x
Reply 8006
Original post by Zoe.h
You had to wait a long time to hear from Nottingham! but yeah, see you in October! Any idea what halls you'll pick? theres so many to choose! x

Yeah I know they took their time! I want it to come through on UCAS already so I can accept Bristol but I'm getting impatient and might just 'cancel choice' as though the rejection never happened haha.
I really like Goldney, but I've seen that it's really hard to get in to so I'm going to spend a while deciding on a 2nd choice :smile: maybe Durdham! What about you?
Yeah a lot of them look really good so it's hard to choose what to go for. I stayed at Manor overnight for the open day last summer and that was really nice :biggrin:
Reply 8007

Original post by hbeattie
i split my head open while cleaning kennels in my first ever week of work experience and the practice manager had to drive me to a&e haha i think that made a good 1st impression :P

All in the name of Veterinary Medicine!

I think I've been quite lucky in terms of work experience-related injuries: the worst was probably getting bitten by a calf, a horse standing on my foot and slipping over whilst going over to feed some donkeys... :rolleyes:
Other w/e related injuries.....

1) Whilst moving cows across concrete, cow slipped and sent a heap of cow turd into my mouth..... indescribably disgusting
2) Kicked in the hand whilst milking - beautiful hoof shaped bruise
3) A weaner bit straight through my steel toe capped, wellington toe :colondollar: Thank god I removed my foot otherwise it was "Hasta Luego my foot!!" It was only 12 weeks old...:colondollar:
4) On w/e with the vets, vet vaccinates a cat, cat doesn't like it but rather than attacking the vet it attacks me and sinks it's teeth into my thumb.... had an 8 hour wait in a and e for a tetanus shot :colondollar:

By reading the above you'd think I'm super injury prone; I'm really not :colondollar:
Reply 8009
Thankyou kookaburra that's really helpful!! So happy that you cleared the w.e. bit up as otherwise I'd be going in with false hopes :frown: haha! But seriously thanks for the time you put into the answer.. Much appreciated :smile:

On to injuries.. I've seriously lost count. A horse standing on my toe means nothing to me now it's happened so many times, I'm immune to it :tongue: also got barged over by a sheep which was highly embarrassing! gave me a nice bruise and a sliced hand
I nearly passed out once after I caught my finger in the spring on a gate latch. (My own fault, I had my hand in the wrong place when I moved the gate so the bolt lined up with the gate post.) It was like delayed shock or something, I was fine for a good five minutes, then suddenly I had to sit down before I fell down. :redface:

I've made a mess of my hand ear-tagging and rubber-ringing this year. I've done over 450 lambs in just over two weeks and I'm paying the price. I can bend my fingers again now at least. :frown:

Anyone else been bitten on the forehead by a horse? I still don't know how it managed it.
Other w/e related injuries.....

1) Whilst moving cows across concrete, cow slipped and sent a heap of cow turd into my mouth..... indescribably disgusting
2) Kicked in the hand whilst milking - beautiful hoof shaped bruise
3) A weaner bit straight through my steel toe capped, wellington toe :colondollar: Thank god I removed my foot otherwise it was "Hasta Luego my foot!!" It was only 12 weeks old...:colondollar:
4) On w/e with the vets, vet vaccinates a cat, cat doesn't like it but rather than attacking the vet it attacks me and sinks it's teeth into my thumb.... had an 8 hour wait in a and e for a tetanus shot :colondollar:

By reading the above you'd think I'm super injury prone; I'm really not :colondollar:

The first one of these made me laugh :moo::mmm:

You don't seem to have much luck mate :P

The joys of being a vet LOL.

I've had a few too..

- I've been splatted all over in cow muck when it got spooked in the crush cage (Defo not as bad as in the mouth)

- At the zoo when I cleaned the monkey pens, you have to soak all their branches in discinfectant as they're soaked in poo. I bobbed up too soon and got all lovely pooey water in my hair (this was 8:00ish and i didn't go home til 17:00)

- There is a ferret where I volunteer who hates me (or thinks I taste nice :P) she latches onto me at any chance, fingers, arms, ankles, legs have all been bit.

- I did some work at a wildlife sanctuary where there were loads of birds who just loved to peck the hell out you.

- When "toothing" piglets I got cuts on my fingers, one of which got infected, I also got trood on a lot of times by the sows.

- When lambing a small Beltex with a large single lamb, I got kicked the hell out of and was covered in loadsa bruises even on my chest ( cant blame her though, think she was in more pain than me :P) I also bent half my nail back wrestling a ewe down to lamb her.

All this "fun" getting injured and covered in god knows what BUT... I CANT WAIT TO GO TO VET SKOOL :groovy:
Original post by Lucy_x
Thankyou kookaburra that's really helpful!! So happy that you cleared the w.e. bit up as otherwise I'd be going in with false hopes :frown: haha! But seriously thanks for the time you put into the answer.. Much appreciated :smile:

On to injuries.. I've seriously lost count. A horse standing on my toe means nothing to me now it's happened so many times, I'm immune to it :tongue: also got barged over by a sheep which was highly embarrassing! gave me a nice bruise and a sliced hand

Sheep are so rude :P i almost went for a ride on a ewe during work ex. I had just about got her to the floor for lambing, when she sprung up with her head between my legs and started to run off. I went a few feet before I managed to tip out the way. Couldn't get up for laughing :sheep:
Original post by ellie157
Yeah I know they took their time! I want it to come through on UCAS already so I can accept Bristol but I'm getting impatient and might just 'cancel choice' as though the rejection never happened haha.
I really like Goldney, but I've seen that it's really hard to get in to so I'm going to spend a while deciding on a 2nd choice :smile: maybe Durdham! What about you?
Yeah a lot of them look really good so it's hard to choose what to go for. I stayed at Manor overnight for the open day last summer and that was really nice :biggrin:

Goldeny is ridiculously difficult to get into. Literally everyone puts it as there first choice so make sure you are equally happy with your second choice as you are most likey to get it! Also make sure you dont put one of the other really over subscribed halls as your second choice as you may end up at neither and they will put you in the horrible Unite accommodation that no one wants to be in...
Reply 8014
Original post by Phoenix_147
Goldeny is ridiculously difficult to get into. Literally everyone puts it as there first choice so make sure you are equally happy with your second choice as you are most likey to get it! Also make sure you dont put one of the other really over subscribed halls as your second choice as you may end up at neither and they will put you in the horrible Unite accommodation that no one wants to be in...

Would you say Hiatt Baker is oversubscribed? I was going to go for Badock then HB , wouldn't really mind which I got but definitely prefer Badock! :smile:
Original post by Beccy99
Would you say Hiatt Baker is oversubscribed? I was going to go for Badock then HB , wouldn't really mind which I got but definitely prefer Badock! :smile:

You should be ok with those two choices. They are both nice halls. I cant remember anyone who didnt get into HB but it could have changed now. TBH as long as you have a reasonable back up choice you should be fine. Im pretty sure it says in the accommodation book which ones are the most oversubsribed so make sure you only pick one of them (if you are going to) and then pick a less popular one as your second. TBH the halls are all pretty similar. They are all near each other (with some exceptions) and all consist of flats down long corridors like the majority of student accommodation. In your first year you wont really care too much what your halls are physically like (unless they are really really bad but none of the Bristol uni ones are, except the Unite ones!) as you will be just enjoying student life and just using your room as a crash pad!
Reply 8016
I don't have any funny stories myself...
But the vet has told me that once she had a student and although she was standing quite far away from the dog in question, when the vet emptied its (pretty full) anal glands she was right in the firing line. Needless to say, it landed bang smack on her cheek. :lol:
Reply 8017
Original post by Phoenix_147

Hmm I was thinking about putting Goldney 1st, Durdham 2nd - do you think I'd get in to one of them?
Also, do you know how they choose who to put in each hall? I know it's all sorted out after results and it isn't 1st come 1st served.
Reply 8018
Original post by Beccy99

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/ug/guide/apply/prefs.html

According to this, Hiatt-Baker is fine :smile:
I fainted in the operating theater :s-smilie:

worst thing to do if you're going to be a vet!!

I think it was more the heat though as it was only a tumor removal and nothing too gory...

I've seen a lot worse and been fine!!

Quick Reply

Latest