The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
OK thanks for the information and help, I understand now...guess I just have to hope the uni will compensate (as the mark is only two marks away from 40%!) or the resits are in August!

However I don't really understand the "complete re-do". The new university does not do this module at all.
Reply 561
Original post by Mande

However I don't really understand the "complete re-do". The new university does not do this module at all.

Well, that's why it's a complete redo. You can't resit.

It's like if you're having chips for dinner but burn your chips and have no more potatoes you can't just do it again. You have to pick something else.
Reply 562
Hi, I really need help cutting down my PS as I've added things I've learnt at university.

I've tried using the PS helper section but I haven't had any feedback for 2-3weeks now.

Firstly, should I remove the section where I spoke about my A-levels and what I have gained from them. Should I also remove things like essay competition and work experiences that I was involved in back then when I was doing my A-levels?
If you have any other suggestions of what I could remove please say so.

Thanks
Reply 563
Original post by Juno
Well, that's why it's a complete redo. You can't resit.

It's like if you're having chips for dinner but burn your chips and have no more potatoes you can't just do it again. You have to pick something else.

So I'd have to do a completely new module? I'd probably prefer that to be honest. Anyway thanks for your help!
Reply 564
Original post by Mande
So I'd have to do a completely new module? I'd probably prefer that to be honest. Anyway thanks for your help!

That's assuming they take you if you fail. They might not - coz as you can see, it wouldn't work. If you don't want to do a new module then don't fail.
Reply 565
I'm almost finishing my first year at uni, and just got one of my final projects.
I'm just scraping by grade wise, its much much harder than i thought it would be.
I can't do the final project no matter how much help i get, which makes me doubt continuing in second year because i know it will be 100 times harder.

Also the topic its self, i've slowly lost interest in which makes learning it harder.

Im at a uni far from home which doesn't help as i get extremely homesick.

I'm wanting to change course, and Uni, to something i'd enjoy more and closer to home.

Finaly getting round to my questions:
Can i change if i fully decide i want too in the near future, or is it too late to think about getting in anywhere else.
(i have 360 ucas points, if not more & decent attendance; so its just availability and time i'd see as an issue)
Also if i was to change, would i be subject to higher fee's; im paying 3.3k atm.

Cheers,
sorry for the long post :P
Reply 566
Original post by kkgwdd
I'm almost finishing my first year at uni, and just got one of my final projects.
I'm just scraping by grade wise, its much much harder than i thought it would be.
I can't do the final project no matter how much help i get, which makes me doubt continuing in second year because i know it will be 100 times harder.

Also the topic its self, i've slowly lost interest in which makes learning it harder.

Im at a uni far from home which doesn't help as i get extremely homesick.

I'm wanting to change course, and Uni, to something i'd enjoy more and closer to home.

Finaly getting round to my questions:
Can i change if i fully decide i want too in the near future, or is it too late to think about getting in anywhere else.
(i have 360 ucas points, if not more & decent attendance; so its just availability and time i'd see as an issue)
Also if i was to change, would i be subject to higher fee's; im paying 3.3k atm.

Cheers,
sorry for the long post :P
You could apply for a new place to start this year, any time up until 30 June (after that you can apply through Clearing) - but you would be applying as a late applicant and therefore have fewer options to choose from. You would be liable for the higher fees; the only way you wouldn't would be to transfer to another uni to continue the same or very similar course elsewhere.

It sounds to me like you should have a conversation with your tutors at your current uni as a matter of urgency, so that you can find out what options you have and what help they can offer you. You will need a reference from them anyway, if you decide to apply to start again, or transfer for that matter.

On the whole, at this stage I would suggest that it's important to complete the year and pass it if you possibly can. Some unis will award a Certificate of Higher Education for successful completion of a first year, if you aren't going on to complete the full degree, and this would add value to your application. Lots of people do start again, so you wouldn't be at a disadvantage just because you decided that your current course really isn't for you.

Since you would be paying the higher fees anyway if you decide to start again, I would strongly suggest that you give yourself a year off to think about what you really want to do, which will also mean that you can choose from the full range of unis/courses. A year can make a big difference to how you feel about things like homesickness, and you won't be too old, or anything like!
Hello i am trying to change university for second year so i have to resubmit another ucas application, the things is the grades i got for 1st year at university, how do i put it down on the education tab under the ucas application??? theres a option for BS HONS (UK), but i dont think its that because i think thats for the whole 3 years

.....so does anyone know what qualification it is for just the first year grades

i am studying computer science by the way.

please help, thank you very much
Original post by randomguy8347
Hello i am trying to change university for second year so i have to resubmit another ucas application, the things is the grades i got for 1st year at university, how do i put it down on the education tab under the ucas application??? theres a option for BS HONS (UK), but i dont think its that because i think thats for the whole 3 years

.....so does anyone know what qualification it is for just the first year grades

i am studying computer science by the way.

please help, thank you very much

I guess when your 1st year results come out you're meant to send a copy to your new university, it's not done via ucas I don't think only the GCSE's/A-level you have currently.

Also some university offer a CertHE for completing first year, some don't and you will only get a transcript.
I'm currently in the process of applying for NTU as I want to transfer from University of Huddersfield for lots of different reasons.

Is anyone currently transferring from their Uni?! I feel alone here but I know I'm not. Applying again is quite stressful, gotta do my personal statement all over again and get references etc.

I'm wanting to start my first year again but at NTU and on a different course but similar as the course at my current University. Anyone on the same boat?
Original post by Casshern1456
I guess when your 1st year results come out you're meant to send a copy to your new university, it's not done via ucas I don't think only the GCSE's/A-level you have currently.

Also some university offer a CertHE for completing first year, some don't and you will only get a transcript.

but i have to put something on ucas 1st, since the results dont come till august, and i have to submit the application. i have completes one of the 4 topics in computer science, and i got a B in it, so should i just put it under BS HONS??

or can someone else help?
Reply 571
Original post by randomguy8347
but i have to put something on ucas 1st, since the results dont come till august, and i have to submit the application. i have completes one of the 4 topics in computer science, and i got a B in it, so should i just put it under BS HONS??

or can someone else help?

You would need to put it under "other" and give as much detail as you can. Unis will see from the dates of your education that you've only been there for a year and will work it out - if not, they can ask for clarification. But they will have had applicants in this situation before and thus will know that UCAS doesn't really "work" for non-standard applicants (by which I mean anyone who is not straight from school with standard A Levels).
Reply 572
Original post by Juno
You would need to put it under "other" and give as much detail as you can. Unis will see from the dates of your education that you've only been there for a year and will work it out - if not, they can ask for clarification. But they will have had applicants in this situation before and thus will know that UCAS doesn't really "work" for non-standard applicants (by which I mean anyone who is not straight from school with standard A Levels).

I really need some advice.

I'm a prospective student who has applied to study Psychology at Queen Mary. I have already sent my UCAS off, firmed my place but haven't sent my student finance.

I was thinking if it would be possible if I could at all get a place to study Law at SOAS instead. I've been doing a lot of research and have decided that law is better suited to what I want to do.

But, I've already sent my application off.

I'm predicted A*AA in Psych, English Lit and R.E and I have a B in Bio at AS.
The grade requirements for Law at SOAS are AAA.
Do I have a chance? (I really don't want to waste time and take a gap year)
What shall I do?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 573
Original post by D0LLxo
I really need some advice.

I'm a prospective student who has applied to study Psychology at Queen Mary. I have already sent my UCAS off, firmed my place but haven't sent my student finance.

I was thinking if it would be possible if I could at all get a place to study Law at SOAS instead. I've been doing a lot of research and have decided that law is better suited to what I want to do.

But, I've already sent my application off.

I'm predicted A*AA in Psych, English Lit and R.E and I have a B in Bio at AS.
The grade requirements for Law at SOAS are AAA.
Do I have a chance? (I really don't want to waste time and take a gap year)
What shall I do?

Thanks in advance.

Well, you're in the second year transfer thread. Are you here by accident, or because you're thinking of doing the first year at the uni you have an offer for and then transferring? I suspect the former as the subjects are different.

Since you've made your firm choice you don't have many options. If you really want to change uni you would have to ask your current firm choice to reject you and then for you to go through Clearing - where SOAS is unlikely to have spaces.

Or you could ask your current firm if you can change the subject to law, which would give you partially what you want.
Reply 574
Original post by paddy__power
University Transfer FAQ

First steps and initial correspondence

Spoiler

So... I'm in first year at the moment studying Linguistics and am considering trying to transfer to study Human Communication Sciences at Sheffield (I'm currently at a Russell Group uni, and meet the entry requirements for the course). I'd be applying to first year entry. (It's in UCAS Extra so... I could hopefully get in this year?) What would I go about doing here - apply as normal through UCAS or email the uni as in the second step here?

Also - can I start a UCAS app but remain in uni and stay at my current uni if the app to Sheffield doesn't succeed? (And would I need to create a new UCAS account - or use my old one?)
Reply 575
Original post by Mex
So... I'm in first year at the moment studying Linguistics and am considering trying to transfer to study Human Communication Sciences at Sheffield (I'm currently at a Russell Group uni, and meet the entry requirements for the course). I'd be applying to first year entry. (It's in UCAS Extra so... I could hopefully get in this year?) What would I go about doing here - apply as normal through UCAS or email the uni?

Also - can I start a UCAS app but remain in uni and stay at my current uni if the app to Sheffield doesn't succeed?

Again, you're muddling up everything. This is the transfer thread for transferring. You seem to be wanting to reapply. If that's what you want then make your own thread - this is inappropriate and will confuse everyone else.
Reply 576
Original post by Juno
Again, you're muddling up everything. This is the transfer thread for transferring. You seem to be wanting to reapply. If that's what you want then make your own thread - this is inappropriate and will confuse everyone else.

Oh, sorry. I just made my own thread but thought it might apply to here as well as I'd be transferring to a similar course. Apologies.

(Again? :confused:)
Reply 577
Original post by Mex
Oh, sorry. I just made my own thread but thought it might apply to here as well as I'd be transferring to a similar course. Apologies.

(Again? :confused:)

No, you're not transferring. If you'd read the post you'd quoted you'd know that.
Reply 578
Original post by Juno
No, you're not transferring. If you'd read the post you'd quoted you'd know that.

I more quoted that part of the post to ask whether I should be still sending that kind of email or just applying as normal.
Okay so Im starting Uni this year, am I allowed to reapply on UCAS while there, and what could I use as the reference? my college again? (I have already taken a gap year). What if I get accepted, what do I tell my Uni? how should I go about this, also how is student finance (grants loans etc) affected by this?

Quick Reply

Latest