The Student Room Group

The Lone Traveller's Base / TSR Travel Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Think I will go interrailing on my own in the summer, exicted thinking about it.
I'm going to the states on my own in the summer, New York for 2 nights then down to North Carolina, Can't wait.
Reply 102
This image is doing the rounds at the moment. Very relevant the travelling lifestyle and the umming and arring associated with deciding what to do.

fullsizeholsteemanifest.png
Reply 103
Hey

Since I've been rejected from medicine this year I'd really like to take the opportunity to do some travelling next year from about may time for up to 3 weeks. I've done a wee bit of research and have come up with a couple of ideas and wondered if you have any suggestions as I will be going on holiday for the first time on my own.
1) a tour - best ones that I've really liked the look of have been on contiki
2) interailing in France and Italy
3) island hopscotch in Scotland and maybe go to Ireland
Thanks in advance x
Original post by Maz93
Hey

Since I've been rejected from medicine this year I'd really like to take the opportunity to do some travelling next year from about may time for up to 3 weeks. I've done a wee bit of research and have come up with a couple of ideas and wondered if you have any suggestions as I will be going on holiday for the first time on my own.
Thanks in advance x

Go for 2) or 3). Travelling independently is so much better than organised tours!

I went to the Isles of Mull and Iona last summer, so I definitely recommend both of those two, and I've heard wonderful things about the Outer Hebrides as well (plus Arran and Skye in the Inner Hebrides.) I can recommend a couple of really good campsites on Mull, and there's one on Iona as well. Honestly, it was amazing. So long as you like beautiful scenery, history, wildlife (including whales and dolphins), white sand beaches, crystal clear water, great walking and sea kayaking, and Scotch whiskies, then you should definitely enjoy the Scottish islands :wink:
Reply 105
I'm saving up to go inter-railing on my own this summer. Excited :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by RB1990
Hi,

I REALLY want to travel (but maybe it doesn't count as travel, just living!) to Spain on my own this summer! I want to do a 4-week Spanish course in somewhere like Salamance or Granada, then try to find a job somewhere (anywhere!) in the country! I've been learning Spanish in uni this year so probably speak it better than at standard grade/GCSE level at the moment, will 4 weeks intensive lessons AND speaking outside of class get me to an adequate level?

Also, supposing I don't find a job, I need a back-up plan! Any ideas for what to do for 2 months without spending a small fortune?! I don't really mind going on my own, but preferably in Europe?

Thanks!

Hey, you should try WWOOF or Helpexchange, they're both similar schemes that allow travellers to see the world for less... With WWOOF you usually work on farms and get food and accommodation for free, whereas I think Helpex can be any work such as cleaning, building stuff, etc.

Although some hosts do charge a small fee, or ask you to buy your own food. It depends on where you go.
I think I'm addicted to travelling... It's all I think about, and I have so many plans but not enough time.
Original post by Maz93
Hey

Thanks in advance x

The Hebrides are amazing. I've been to most of them over the years, and they're amongst my favourite places in the world. You really need a car to do the island hopscotches though, as public transport in most parts varies from poor to non-existent.
Reply 109
Original post by Vindobona
I think I'm addicted to travelling... It's all I think about, and I have so many plans but not enough time.

Make enough time. Simple.

It's your life, take control.
Reply 110
I'm studying in Europe. Which places to hit at weekends? Hmmm...
Reply 111
Original post by bzly
I'm studying in Europe. Which places to hit at weekends? Hmmm...

Depends where you are?
Hello!

I am currently in my first year of 6th form with (what seem to be) low prospects of getting into uni. Since this is the case, after my second year of 6th form, once I am finished with my A levels, I am hoping to go travelling - shall probably go solo unless anyone else I know is in the same position and has the same aspirations as me. I am looking towards going to Asia (undecided on what part) and living/travelling for no more than a year. I am planning on finding work out there to help fund my trip since the money I attain on top of my current bank balance from work would not suffice. I am wondering what sorts of things I may need to look into before embarking on my trip - the sorts of things I'd need to bring initially (should I take lots or the bare minimum?), language barriers, VISAS and travel between countries once there etc

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated :smile:
I'm thinking of travelling to NYC/Miami and maybe LA in late July/early August.. Think I might get bored on my own though! Anyone up for coming? :smile:
Reply 114
Original post by kururunfa
Hello!

I am currently in my first year of 6th form with (what seem to be) low prospects of getting into uni. Since this is the case, after my second year of 6th form, once I am finished with my A levels, I am hoping to go travelling - shall probably go solo unless anyone else I know is in the same position and has the same aspirations as me. I am looking towards going to Asia (undecided on what part) and living/travelling for no more than a year. I am planning on finding work out there to help fund my trip since the money I attain on top of my current bank balance from work would not suffice. I am wondering what sorts of things I may need to look into before embarking on my trip - the sorts of things I'd need to bring initially (should I take lots or the bare minimum?), language barriers, VISAS and travel between countries once there etc

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated :smile:

That's a very wide range of things that you're asking for info on. The best thing to do is to Google your queries, and use websites like WikiTravel, Lonely Planet, Trip Advisor etc, to see where you want to go and want to do. Then if you have any specific questions that need clarifying we can help out.
Original post by SuperStarr1
I'm thinking of travelling to NYC/Miami and maybe LA in late July/early August.. Think I might get bored on my own though! Anyone up for coming? :smile:

Im going NY and Miami mid september. Are you booked?
Hey guys! Im heading out to Tunisia this summer for an internship for 3 months. Only have to do 30 hours work a week so gonna travel places quite a bit in my time off! Anyone got any advice for the lone female in an arabic country? Done plenty of travelling before but never alone! Im excited anyway.

If I was a couple of years older I'd be in.
Original post by Jamil1987
Im going NY and Miami mid september. Are you booked?

Not yet, thinking of booking it in the next 2 months. How long are you going for? Are you going on your own?

Original post by shezshez
If I was a couple of years older I'd be in.

Ahh maybe I'll go in a few years too when you can! :smile:
Not yet, thinking of booking it in the next 2 months. How long are you going for? Are you going on your own?

Ahh maybe I'll go in a few years too when you can! :smile:

I'm going for two weeks.

Flying to NY and then have a return flight from Miami.

Haven't decided if i'm getting a flight from NY to Miami or renting a car. I want to drive but it seems a scarily long drive lol. I'm going with my cousin who is 2 years younger than me.

Quick Reply

Latest