The Student Room Group

Gap year without the travel

Hey guys

Will be beginning my gap year when my A2s finish at the end of June
Im actually taking a gap year since I have no idea what I want to do as a career ect and similarly as a uni degree bla bla

ANYWAY
I was wondering if a gap year spent working and then inter railing at the end, with volunteering and maybe learning a new skill/language in-between will be seen as a year spent well rather than totally useless and wasted by employees afterwards and maybe even universities if I decide to reapply

Any thoughts appreciated!
Thankyou
Reply 1
I think it's a very sensible idea, universities on the whole will appreciate the fact that you have taken time to properly consider your future rather than rushing into something that is not right for you. Also with the economy the way it is more and more people are taking a year out to work and earn some money first, no shame in that.
Reply 2
Do it don't sign up for a three year degree just to get a huge debt at the end a a life long regret.
Reply 3
Thankyou very much for the replies guys, put my mind at ease for now!
Fingers crossed I find something I enjoy next year and nt spend it in a supermarket :wink:
Try looking up Botton Village, it's a village for adults with special needs in North Yorkshire, i'm there on my gap year at the moment, it's fantastic, plus people come from all over the world to work here so it feels like being abroad! You can learn all sorts from working here, languages, cooking, music, crafts, and all accommodation and food is covered! It's hard work and tests your patience sometimes but it definitely looks good to universities, i think it really helped my application :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Sockhead
Thankyou very much for the replies guys, put my mind at ease for now!
Fingers crossed I find something I enjoy next year and nt spend it in a supermarket :wink:

Dude don't bump supermarkets, it may not be thrilling but its better than most :tongue: Sainsbury's ftw! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Zubby77
Dude don't bump supermarkets, it may not be thrilling but its better than most :tongue: Sainsbury's ftw! :biggrin:

Haha of course I'm not - they are my primary source of jaffa cakes anyway!!
I just meant it in a 'I don't really want to spend aaaaall my working life in a supermarket' way :smile:
No offence intended x
Reply 7
Original post by Sockhead
Haha of course I'm not - they are my primary source of jaffa cakes anyway!!
I just meant it in a 'I don't really want to spend aaaaall my working life in a supermarket' way :smile:
No offence intended x

Nah lol its not that great working there tbh, but beggars can't be choosers:tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT540

Quick Reply

Latest