The Student Room Group

Higher Maths Post Mortem thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Derry Rhumba
easy???? Who the **** you kiddin!!!!!!!?????????????? :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I second this. It was a load of *******s, to be quite frank.
Reply 41
I thought I was good at maths until I looked at that last page on paper 2...

I have the papers here I can't scan them but I can take a picture of them and upload if you want?
Reply 42
Original post by legion99
My answer for the circle question at the end of paper 2 was: -23<P<13

Thats what I got but others seem to have got P>-108 and I have no idea where that was from.
Reply 43
Original post by Quintro
I thought I was good at maths until I looked at that last page on paper 2...

I have the papers here I can't scan them but I can take a picture of them and upload if you want?

Yes Please!
Reply 44
does anyone know the percentage cut offs like what do you need for an A B and C
Reply 45
Answer that I got for the circle question was -14 < p < 14 since you can't have a negative square root. Have no idea why that was a 9 mark question.

Anyway, paper 1 wasn't bad, loved that differentiation question (although I found (-50/27) to be a damned strange y-coordinate), but paper 2...well, it was interesting. 1-3 were okay, but I completely cocked up on the area question, hopefully I have a few marks out of that. 5 was also awful, because graphs from experimental data NEVER come up...and they came up. 6 was good (I think) and I've just mentioned 7 above.

So, I need a B.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by NaturalDisaster
I just stuck a random squiggly lined graph and then mirrored it in the vain hope I would get a point for knowing how to do that. :lol: And far too many D's and C's in the multiple choice there. :lol:

I got so many D's and C's too!! I was worried because I didn't get a B until about question 7 or something!!

Anyways, I thought it was bloody impossible. Hopefully paper 1 has brought me up from an outright fail, but i won't be surprised if I have failed maths.

Even the swatty people thought it was difficult!!
Reply 47
Original post by soup
Thats what I got but others seem to have got P>-108 and I have no idea where that was from.

This came from the formula of getting the radius of a circle: sqroot[x^2 + y^2 (center points) - c (in this case, p)]

because the second circle lied in the first circle, the radius of the second circle had to be less then 11 (the radius of the first circle) or root 121.

Essentially they thought that since x^2 + y^2 is 13, p would have to add 108 on (thus why it is negative) so they could say that P>-108 for the radius to be less than 11.

I don't know if it is right, however.
Original post by soup

I got p>-108. Great, bet that's wrong. Look at that little A, going down the drain...
Reply 49
Original post by Kelsper
This came from the formula of getting the radius of a circle: sqroot[x^2 + y^2 (center points) - c (in this case, p)]

because the second circle lied in the first circle, the radius of the second circle had to be less then 11 (the radius of the first circle) or root 121.

Essentially they thought that since x^2 + y^2 is 13, p would have to add 108 on (thus why it is negative) so they could say that P>-108 for the radius to be less than 11.

Oh , I see. I found that the radius had to be less than 6.
tell me where i wnt wrong on the last question:

- y coordinate of C2 is 2 above C1
- radius of C1 = ?121
- radius of C2 = ?4+36-p

- because its 2 higher, take Radius of C1 ?121 +2

so... ?4+36-p < ?121 + 2
?40-p < 9
40-p < 81
-p < 39
p > -39

? = square root symbol btw :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Kelsper

oh, my goodness, you are absolutely right
Original post by INeedToLoseWeight
I got so many D's and C's too!! I was worried because I didn't get a B until about question 7 or something!!

Anyways, I thought it was bloody impossible. Hopefully paper 1 has brought me up from an outright fail, but i won't be surprised if I have failed maths.

Even the swatty people thought it was difficult!!

Yeah. I am one of those people, and my friend who got 100% in his last prelim. :lol: Yeah, I was like "Why no B's?!!!!!!" English was so much kinder to me...
how did you do question 6(I think) where you had to find 't' ?
Reply 54
My answer for the circle question at the end of paper 2 was: -23<P<13

I got this, but just as I left the exam hall, I thought I should have put -23<p<14, but hopefully I'll only lose 1 mark for it since my strategy was good, according to my maths teacher

On the whole, I thought it was a fairly challenging paper, but I'm hoping for an A band 1.

I'm also wondering if anyone can explain something to me - for paper 1, with the question about the discriminant being 23, is that rational or not? Couldn't work that one out at all :P
Overall I think it was better than the 2010 exam. Paper 1 was good but I know I have dropped a few marks. I have got 22b and a part of 21c in the paper 1 wrong for sure. Paper 2 wasnt awful, the 10 marker was a good question but it took forever. The log question I could do but I made a stupid mistake at the end so I have dropped a mark . question 6a was good, 6b no clue so I tried to solve it and I got a stupid answers. and question 7 I had no clue, I worked out the radius and centre and said it had to be less that 9 and then stoppped.
Reply 56
The radius did have to be less than 6. The distance from the centre of the first circle to the centre of the smaller circle inside it was 5. That meant that the distance between the centre of the smaller circle and the circumference of the larger one was 6 at its closest point, so the radius had to be less than 6 or it would touch the bigger circle.
I used:
r^2 = g^2 + f^2 - c
36 = 4 + 9 - p
p = -23 when the radius is 6
you want the radius to be smaller so P must be larger
=> P>-23
However, if p is equal to or greater than 13 then the radius of the circle is 0 and then goes negative which obviously wont work so P must not be 13 or more
=> P<13

final answer: -23<P<13
Reply 57
Here is links to Paper 2... Sorry for my lack of iPhone camera photography skillz....

http://imageshack.us/f/714/img0202oi.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/14/img0203md.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/705/img0204go.jpg/
(edited 12 years ago)
Did anybody get P to be less than -108 and less than 13. :confused:

That was so damn hard :angry:

What did everyone get for the integration question? How did everyone attempt it?
:s-smilie::eek::rolleyes:
Reply 59
The radius did have to be less than 6. The distance from the centre of the first circle to the centre of the smaller circle inside it was 5. That meant that the distance between the centre of the smaller circle and the circumference of the larger one was 6 at its closest point, so the radius had to be less than 6 or it would touch the bigger circle.
I used:
r^2 = g^2 + f^2 - c
36 = 4 + 9 - p
p = -23 when the radius is 6
you want the radius to be smaller so P must be larger
=> P>-23
However, if p is equal to or greater than 13 then the radius of the circle is 0 and then goes negative which obviously wont work so P must not be 13 or more
=> P<13

final answer: -23<P<13

Sounds like the right answer. I completely screwed it up anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest